+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By morph4037

Thread: How do these bots work anyway?

Default How do these bots work anyway?

Didn't know where else to ask this since it's not actually RIFT related - reading various suggestions on how to handle bots and such other than a locked AH got me thinking - how do they work anyway? Just out of curiosity?

At the most basic level, a program records the user's actions -- mouse movements and clicks, key presses, etc. -- and then simply replays those same actions. This list of automated actions is called a "script". More complicated scripts will include some level of logic control, such as being able to recognize specific targets, checking the character's health and healing when needed, etc. When a developer opens up their game's API, as Trion has done with Rift, and allows custom add-ons, it's a bit of a double-edged sword. It's extremely helpful for those who want to use custom add-ons, but it also makes it a lot easier for bots since they can tap into much more information about their character and the objects around them.

Most bots rely on the fact that MMOs are very repetitive and predictable games. For example, if you have a known set of spawn points for a group of mobs then you just have your bot run to point A and try to find and attack the nearest enemy, run to point B and try to find and attack the nearest enemy, etc. and then wrap back to point A and repeat the pattern.

Auction Hall bots work on similar principles. The bot just parks next to the AH, repeatedly pulls up a defined set of searches and places buy or sell orders based on what it sees. For example: search for Gold Ore, if any listings have a sell price less than X then buy them, if all listings are greater than Y then start placing sell orders from the ore in my inventory.

You might be surprised, though, at how many "bots" are actually being played by real people (professional gold farmers). They can seem like bots since they aren't playing the game for fun -- they're trying to earn gold in the absolutely most efficient manner possible and often have very strict quotas they're trying to keep up with.

Soulwalker

On wow, I played at a very hi level of PVE and thus had little time to farm. Now that Im retired from wow, I can speak about it lol. From my experience, I didn't touch any scripting or anything like that. It was a paid program and basically I would log on to wow via a log in screen for these companys. I won't name them in good grace that I don't wanna see bots on rift. These bots would complete my farming tasks for me such as my farm on halfhill, materials for my 300 stat food, materials for flasks, mining ore for my gems etc. But essentially, depending on which company's you use they have pre-ordianed scripts ready to go. Some of them, if you played wow, you probably noticed the bg bots which were utterly terrible and ruined pvp for a very long time in wow. My advice is, don't ever use bots. When blizzard finally caught on to these companys, about 20 or so accounts were banned in my guild. We baught and paid for seperate accounts so our main accounts would not be effected by this.

I woudn't use, i was recently banned from Runescape for botting. It just ruins the game and it's economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrank View Post
    I woudn't use, i was recently banned from Runescape for botting. It just ruins the game and it's economy.
    So far seems consequence free in this game.

I digress, getting sick of seeing the same bots, near the same towns, running the same waypoints week after week. You would think its easy enough to ban these bots that run for weeks straight...

+ Reply to Thread