+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ajah

Thread: Mom Jokes too far!

Default Mom Jokes too far!

I dont even know if this is the right place to post this, but here goes:

There have always been mom jokes, but the majority of them were just "your mom" to any response. It has gone WAY too far on chat. I do not need to get into specifics of what is being said, suffice it to say it is vulgar, disrespectful, and just plain WRONG!!! My iggy bin is in use constantly, and it is annoying to open the social tab every 30 seconds to add another name. Leaving the channels doesn't work because half the people IN said channel are in every other channel as well. I haven't hit the iggy bin cap yet, but it is only a matter of time. So, unless people actually enjoy watching mothers get insulted in such vulgar way—even if it is on the internet, or an MMO where Devs and CMs play;even if it is not their mother but someone else's—then by all means continue being like this. If you have mom jokes you like to say, pretend you were saying that to your OWN MOTHER, or let your good buddy say it to your mom while you stand there. Would YOU let it happen like that? We, as a community of players of this fantastic MMO, must do something to combat THIS form of trolling. Some trolling is fun, like the alt+f4 joke never gets old. But mother this, mother that, <insert sexual organ here> <insert lascivious comment there> is just offensive in more ways than one. Am I the only one who feels this way, or am I expressing my concerns on deaf ears?

When someone tries to bully u, use this: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/navy-seal-copypasta
    Last edited by cyberdelic; 06-15-2013 at 02:01 AM.

I was thinking to create a thread about the chat also, but i ll just throw some thoughts here.

Mom jokes, Hodor, wow was the first, speak english only or **** and so on, i am pretty sure that more than 50% of my 1-29 chat entry are plain stupidity or hate messages. I just can't stand it anymore and it makes my play experience sadder and sadder every day.

Some may say I can just turn off some channels, but well I am a bard, I ve been a bard in EQ1, 2, Rift since 1999 in mmo's, I am the support type, answering to ppl questions and problems if and when I can, so i kinda cannot turn the chat off.

I saw some thread out there suggesting to appoint "community managers" ingame, well I believe it is a great idea.

I swear if I ever quit playing MMO's it will be because the community is just getting worse and worse, it needs moderation !

Guess I m being a bit too emotional about this, and cant express myself as I d like too, english not being my first language, tho, really, mmo's community and chat seems like broke

Kela,
    trying to have fun nonetheless, and wishing the same to everyone.
    Last edited by Kelanoria; 06-15-2013 at 02:33 AM.

I agree, the chat channels are a cess pit now. I wish, and have asked for this before, that we could have some sort of "mentor" ability like DAoC had, where people who are willing to assist and answer questions from new players, are on a drop down box, much like our player search interface. That way they can turn off the abusive channels and know that if anyone needs help, those people can send them a tell asking for advice etc.

The only reason I keep the channels on is to help genuine people asking genuine questions, or for assistance in a difficult quest.
    If you say plz instead of please, I say no because it's shorter than yes.

They stated in the Live stream that they are aware of this and if people get reported they could get squelched and watched for future behaviour.
    Marleigh - Rogue - 36/20/20 Assassin/Riftstalker/Bladedancer
    Cyna - Mage - Necro/Elementalist
    Butch - Warrior - Warlord/Champion 'Perfect Solo'
    Harleigh - Cleric - Full Druid with a hint of Shaman
    Light Knights Multi Gaming Community

It is highly annoying to wake up in the morning (or afternoon) and find that people are yet again, still insulting each other over WoW or whatnot. It's so ******* annoying, I feel that the chat should be monitored a little bit more...
    Class: Mage~~~ Spec: Pyromentalist~~~ Name: Coty (Old IGN: Anirahijni)~~~ Server: Argent Dimension/House: Stone Flask Tavern: level 3~~~ Guild:Eternally Ethereal
    Class: Rogue~~~ Spec: Hunter~~~ Name: Legolena~~~ Server: Argent
    Guides:
    http://tinyurl.com/PatronGuide

I am not sure how the chat squelch works, but my guess is it will improve over time as they get a feel for it, and as they deal with the initial rush.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfz View Post
    When someone tries to bully u, use this
    It's not that they are bullying me, far from it. This is the interwebz, what are these internet tough guys gonna do? The point is, mom jokes and other forms of offensive trolling are running rampant in all chats, 1-29 being the worst, and mom jokes being the most prevalent.

In the gaming community I am in, we do not tolerate that kind of trolling. I love my mother with all my heart. And to see someone saying these things about my mother, or someone else's mother breaks my heart.

A good example is when someone asks where... lets say the planar goods vendor is in sanctum. The first responses out of ANYONE is mom this or mom that. I am absolutely disgusted and appalled by this kind of behavior.

Mei

I hate the word "squelch" so much...
    Fluent

Right click their name in chat and click "report spam". If you find the alt+f4 stuff funny but not this, then I really don't think I can sympathize here.

Ascendant

since free 2 play I have left all the lower level chats, one less player to help out newcomers with questions. I just got so sick of having to right click report spam to put yet another ****** on my previously empty ignore list
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

I've never liked them. They embody the root of negativity and disrespect people have of elders these days. There was a time if someone said anything about their elder any adult around that heard it could string you up by your ears and march you over to your parent(s) and let them know what was said.

Society is lacking respect and tolerating indecency in alarming rates.

I was only 26 when my mom died, left home at 19 so I never knew her as an adult. Whatever issues I have with her are my own, no one has the right to presume they know anything about me or her and should keep their trap shut regarding such matters.

Soulwalker

Mom jokes aren't funny. Some people simply have no taste.

+ Reply to Thread