+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: E3 2013

Default E3 2013

To discuss all that is E3: conferences, games, consoles, booths, etc.

I managed to catch a bit of Microsoft's Xbox One briefing, and heard a bit. $500 for the Xbox One is quite a bit, but I'm curious to see how well it'll do. However, its cons outweigh its pros for my lifestyle - and yes, it does have a couple of nice innovations, there's no denying that. Titanfall looks pretty nice, and it's nice to see that Respawn is making it. Hopefully it's a good game when it's released next year.

For those who have already decided they're getting an Xbox One, though... Enjoy your Halo at 60FPS! I think it's a nice little bonus for the series.

Watching the Microsoft Conference right now. I thought the Sony conference was excellent. A bit short on the games, but the free ecosystem of game trading and no required online is great for gamers. I could care less about having to be online every 24 hours or the way Microsoft is doing their used games, but I acknowledge how it's bad for consumers.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Destiny looks pretty damn cool, DA:Inquisition is disappointingly far away and Geralt's hair is too short for a Witcher game. Also:

MERMAIDS
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 06-10-2013 at 09:45 PM.
    Nope.

I also really liked the Sony conference. Great hosts and a lot of games were announced; some looked like they have potential, like Destiny. The room and chat also were pretty hyped about FFXIV, KH3 and Infamous. The not-so-subtle jabs at Microsoft's DRM/used games stance were also neat. Downside was the technical issues, but at least they actually did live gameplay and not some pre-rendered scripted gameplay (caugh caugh BF4).

EA's conference surprised me as it wasn't as bad as I expected. Battlefront and Mirror's Edge really were the highlights in the my opinion, though I hope the latter won't be Origin exclusive =(. BF4 was expected, but I'll stay reserved as it might just be another generic blockbuster. I didn't care that much about the whole "EA-Sports" segment, but can't really blame EA for banking on this.

I only caught some short glimpses of Microsoft's conference, but I know they focused a lot on games and although they're not all exclusive, it was nice to see (especially after their reveal in May which was like... TV TV TV, COD). TitanFall, MGSV and Project Spark looked great.

Ubisoft had a decentish conference. The host created some pretty solid awkward moments, but she was fun overall. The Division and Watch_Dogs were by far the most interesting games in there. Newest Splinter Cell and Assassins's Creed were also showcased, but I'm not too sure about these two.

In short, it was an enjoyable first day and E3 is looking great so far.
    Last edited by Ironic; 06-10-2013 at 10:57 PM.

3 9 9

/thread

Just watched the complete Microsoft conference and theirs was very heavy on games that made me smile a lot. Titanfall looks like a very fun concept and will be fun to see how they market it against Destiny. I loved the cloud AI that Turn10 is using for Forza 5. Also, loved Project Spark's potential. It sort of reminds me of early Minecraft how people dismissed it as being childish and uninspired but we have seen what happens when you give people a blank slate with tools to build whatever they want. Take away the price tag and used games of PS4 and the Xbox One wins on games, which is what consoles are all about. There wasn't anything exclusive to the PS4 that Sony showed that made me say, "I NEED TO GET THIS AT LAUNCH".

So far, it looks like I will be owning two black boxes. However, the consoles are not what I was excited for at E3. I really want to see what Wildstar will offer on the floor and can not wait for those gameplay impression, videos, etc. I've seen too many Sony fanboys on the internet tonight praising their conference, but after having a few hours to dwell on it, it wasn't that great. People clamored for the free used game environment, which is great, but you know the publishers are going to be dragging everyone forward with all this DRM, it's just a matter of time. That is one scenario. The other scenario, in my opinion, is Microsoft opens up their used game ecosystem like Sony's. Either one doesn't impact me directly, so I could care less. Microsoft showed more games I want to play today and that is all that matters to me. But, I have been wanting Final Fantasy versus XIII(FFXV) for years now, so that is a must have for me.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Well as far as I can see, Sony outright wins this time against Microsoft.

But, paying for PS Plus to play games online is bit of a let down and Amazon.co.uk have PS4 games retailed at £55. I mean £110 for TWO GAMES? That's too expensive for my tastes, will stick with PC for the forseeable future. (Forever if MGS5 comes to PC)

Here is another thought of mine: Microsoft is known for making unpopular requirements of their consoles that end up pushing the industry forward even if people are kicking and screaming. Remember putting a hard drive in every console? Remember requiring broadband for xbox live in 2002? Oh my god, their audacity! Xbox Live is sure to fail if they put requirements on MY life. Yet, Xbox Live is wildly successful, and despite learning heavily from Playstation Plus, and PS+ learning from Xbox Live, it is evolving. Microsoft showed the better games, period, and it even got MGSV to be on Xbox One.

If we are looking at this whole situation rationally, with a brain, you can not truly say who has won this console "war" because of a price point at launch. If you are truly basing your opinion on that, then you are a wrong. The original PS3 cost $200 more than the Xbox 360, yet it had adoption and enough adjustment in price and hardware over the years to lower that price point and make a run at Xbox 360's year-long lead in the market. So, I wouldn't look at the price as being the killer app that we think it is. Sony is already bleeding money, as a corporation, every quarter. They will lose money on every PS4 sold. This is a fact. Their hardware is more expensive than the Xbox One(GDDR5).

Microsoft is bringing another innovation that I don't Sony is bring to the table; the embrace and utilization of cloud computing. This is going to enable for some amazing things and it's going to require even more people to get broadband connections and even existing broadband connections to become faster. This may be a catalyst for MSO's around the country to start developing and upgrading their infrastructures further. Don't think it can happen? Cellphone data usage forced carriers to start thinking more about data throughput than voice not too long ago and now we have 4G in almost every major city, with more smaller cities being added every month. They know that if they hold something as valuable they will adopt it and things will develop themselves as long as there is a demand for it.

This is going to be a long process and pronouncing winners is incredibly childish and annoying. If you are going to make an argument against, or for, either console then at least talk about those reasons. Don't get sucked into the hype that the internet has peer pressured you into and become one of the many sheeple that I see lumbering around, including dumb gamers. That's it for now. My thoughts are my own and if you disagree at least give me the courtesy of providing something worth reading and discussing.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

microsoft is a dictatorship
    just because theyre commonly used does no mean theyre popular
    i saw a massive photobomb on another site about this and the only thing i really remember from it was teso and a new square enix project
    who took my names!

Sony. So good.

i feel sorry for microsoft. sony stabbed microsoft and then turned the knife again and again. you see people pre-ordering ps4 online already, but do you hear anyone pre-ordering an xbox one? i don't. me? i'll probably wait a year or so and see where the ps4 is at then.

Quote Originally Posted by intrinsc View Post
    Here is another thought of mine: Microsoft is known for making unpopular requirements of their consoles that end up pushing the industry forward even if people are kicking and screaming. Remember putting a hard drive in every console? Remember requiring broadband for xbox live in 2002? Oh my god, their audacity! Xbox Live is sure to fail if they put requirements on MY life. Yet, Xbox Live is wildly successful, and despite learning heavily from Playstation Plus, and PS+ learning from Xbox Live, it is evolving. Microsoft showed the better games, period, and it even got MGSV to be on Xbox One.

If we are looking at this whole situation rationally, with a brain, you can not truly say who has won this console "war" because of a price point at launch. If you are truly basing your opinion on that, then you are a wrong. The original PS3 cost $200 more than the Xbox 360, yet it had adoption and enough adjustment in price and hardware over the years to lower that price point and make a run at Xbox 360's year-long lead in the market. So, I wouldn't look at the price as being the killer app that we think it is. Sony is already bleeding money, as a corporation, every quarter. They will lose money on every PS4 sold. This is a fact. Their hardware is more expensive than the Xbox One(GDDR5).

Microsoft is bringing another innovation that I don't Sony is bring to the table; the embrace and utilization of cloud computing. This is going to enable for some amazing things and it's going to require even more people to get broadband connections and even existing broadband connections to become faster. This may be a catalyst for MSO's around the country to start developing and upgrading their infrastructures further. Don't think it can happen? Cellphone data usage forced carriers to start thinking more about data throughput than voice not too long ago and now we have 4G in almost every major city, with more smaller cities being added every month. They know that if they hold something as valuable they will adopt it and things will develop themselves as long as there is a demand for it.

This is going to be a long process and pronouncing winners is incredibly childish and annoying. If you are going to make an argument against, or for, either console then at least talk about those reasons. Don't get sucked into the hype that the internet has peer pressured you into and become one of the many sheeple that I see lumbering around, including dumb gamers. That's it for now. My thoughts are my own and if you disagree at least give me the courtesy of providing something worth reading and discussing.
    You're absolutely right when you say there isn't a winner. However, if we were to go off what we're given now, Sony would come out on top - a number of reasons, some of them exaggerated and completely absurd (I can't tell you how sick I am of seeing "LOLGUISE TEH KINECT GUNNA SPI ON US"), but there are some valid arguments as well - for example, some people don't feel that they'll always be able to connect to the internet every 24 hours, but will still play games offline. Take into account that Sony is making it easier for gamers to borrow games from friends and also have a cheaper service for online play (along with their cheaper console), it's a huge appeal to people who want a next-generation console but also need/want to stay on some form of a "budget" (although I think people who are really on a budget shouldn't be buying a next-generation console for so much to begin with). The PS4 also appears to have more power than the Xbox One, which is, again, a plus for gamers.

You also have the general hype, as you stated. There's a ton of positive PR running for Sony right now and so much negativity behind the Xbox One and Microsoft that the masses are even starting to push other people into what console they should get without exposing them to a single bit of logic other than "Yea, I looked into it - X is great and Y is terrible, so you should get X". The sort of deal where people assume anyone is trustworthy as long as they end their sentence with a smiley face. I have seen people providing actual facts and citing their sources regarding their logic when it comes to some of those threads on forum boards, and I think it's great! But I don't see it as much as I'd like to.

I pretty much entirely agree with your post, on a side note - I don't have any argument against what you said. I'm just sort of throwing my two cents on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin0795 View Post
    You're absolutely right when you say there isn't a winner. However, if we were to go off what we're given now, Sony would come out on top - a number of reasons, some of them exaggerated and completely absurd (I can't tell you how sick I am of seeing "LOLGUISE TEH KINECT GUNNA SPI ON US"), but there are some valid arguments as well - for example, some people don't feel that they'll always be able to connect to the internet every 24 hours, but will still play games offline. Take into account that Sony is making it easier for gamers to borrow games from friends and also have a cheaper service for online play (along with their cheaper console), it's a huge appeal to people who want a next-generation console but also need/want to stay on some form of a "budget" (although I think people who are really on a budget shouldn't be buying a next-generation console for so much to begin with). The PS4 also appears to have more power than the Xbox One, which is, again, a plus for gamers.

You also have the general hype, as you stated. There's a ton of positive PR running for Sony right now and so much negativity behind the Xbox One and Microsoft that the masses are even starting to push other people into what console they should get without exposing them to a single bit of logic other than "Yea, I looked into it - X is great and Y is terrible, so you should get X". The sort of deal where people assume anyone is trustworthy as long as they end their sentence with a smiley face. I have seen people providing actual facts and citing their sources regarding their logic when it comes to some of those threads on forum boards, and I think it's great! But I don't see it as much as I'd like to.

I pretty much entirely agree with your post, on a side note - I don't have any argument against what you said. I'm just sort of throwing my two cents on it.
    I will say this now: As it looks on paper, Sony will sell more consoles to gamers. But, I'm not convinced it will outright sell more consoles over the span of its life. Why? Because the Xbox One is such a broad product. It isn't aimed at 'just' gamers(a dwindling population). It's marketed towards more than gamers and it will attract a greater piece of the consumer pie because of this. This is incredibly unpopular with gamers because consoles have been our 'thing' for many decades. I'm a gamer. I grew up playing Sega Mastersystem and getting blisters on my thumbs from playing Super Mario Kart way too much. But, I'm 27 and I'm smarter and more positive. I can look at this situation from where it's meant to be looked from. We aren't suppose to analyze this console "war" as gamers anymore and that is where I get a lot of my views from. I'm analyzing it as a consumer before a gamer and the Xbox One does have a lot of great, forward-thinking features for the overall consumer which means groups of people that game together in the same house such as brothers, sisters, families.

Yes, Microsoft made a huge mistake with locking down the DRM so heavy on their end. They should have done what is done today and just let publishers decide for themselves. If Microsoft had not done this there would be no competition or argument from gamers. Having to "phone home" every 24 hours, while being a bit draconian, is something that people will just get over. A) I'm willing to be most gamers will connect their console anyways. B) If the games are good enough I believe people will just connect it anyways. But, being a period of weighing in every positive and negative against each other, I can see and understand why people are critisizing every detail like this despite not thinking about it and realizing that it won't matter in the long run and to most people. Even people in the middle of the woods and in states like Montana have some kind of internet, this will not be a problem.

Then, you can talk about the games and hardware. Ultimately, this should be the selling point of each console. To me, since I will use the consoles mostly to play games and watch netflix, I go through a checklist. Does the console I want to buy have games I want? Check. Does the console I want support netflix since I've cut the cable chord? Check. Both consoles do this. Both consoles have games I want. I will own both consoles. That's as far as a console buying decision should go for gamers. I get that people will be heavily biased one way or another, and that's fine. Some of these GIFs floating around are funny, the wikipedia article edits were kinda lulz. People are going to root for one or another, but that's not me. I'm not a 14 year old to whom $100 means $1,000,000 and I will choose PS4 because of price. I'm not an Xbox Fanboy who will choose just because of the brand. I buy what I need, what I want, and what will fit my lifestyle. You should, too, despite of what IGN or Engadget or The Verge have to say.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

solid review from the forbes guy.. pretty much hit the nail on the head.

while I was there, the MS booth was looking sparse, in terms of playable games to demo AND in people interested in it, while the PS booth was awash with a throng of people like zombies on a pregnant lady...

MAD MAX!!

basically, sony came out with more titles, again: more media capability, more device capability (since xbox still hasn't gone with blutooth), is region free, plays used games, has more power under the hood, being able to swap HDD if desired off the shelf, does not mandate online, does not mandate cameras, and on and on.. all for $100 less than xb1..

also.. the cloud set up will target ps3 titles to start, for play on ps4 and vita, but will also filter in the previous library from ps1 on up.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...box-one-at-e3/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast