+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Build me a system

Default Build me a system

Hello there! I'm looking to build a budget gaming system for a friend, and its been a few years since I've done one, so I'm kind of out of the loop on which direction to take. Basically I have a budget of 750 bucks to spend on a tower. I was going to go with a MSI AM3+ board and a Phenom II 965 black for a CPU, and a AMD 7790 for GPU, but then I started looking at all these new CPU's, APU's etc and got lost. Also, I know nothing about what intel or Nvidia is putting out. Can someone help me out?

This is what I came up with for the 750 budget

Coolermaster HAF 912 case

Coolermaster 550W PSU

WD Black 1TB HD

MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

GIGABYTE GV-R779OC-2GD Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
    Crosshair iv formula, AMD 1090t X6, H70 liquid cooling, XFX HD5970 Black, 4gb gskill flare, 60gb SSD, 1TB WD black, all wrapped in an AMD dragon sniper black case.......topped off with 3-22" LED's in Eyefinity.

Shadowlander

Drop down to a 7870 ghz edition. The reason? That cpu WILL bottleneck that card and you will never see/or use the full performance.

I had that card and under water cooling. Real real nice card but really its not needed unless you are using 3 monitors and a real high resolution.

1920x1080 on a 7870 will let you max out your graphics and save you a couple hundred bucks

good luck.

Oops, I just saw you have a 7790 not the 7990. In that case the build seems fine but i'm confused as to why you are wanting to go with that Phenom chip over an I3? The I3 while a dual-core chip still outperforms the AM3 Phenom's in all the gaming benchmarks plus alot less electricty and heat output in the room.
    Last edited by jaygrae; 05-29-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Like I said, I know nothing about intel cpus. So pair me up with an intel CPU and a good motherboard and I'll check it out for sure. Also, are the Geforce cards any better than the AMD? I was always an AMD/ATI fanboy, but times have changed and I'm looking at the best bang I can get for my buck at the price. Thanks!
    Crosshair iv formula, AMD 1090t X6, H70 liquid cooling, XFX HD5970 Black, 4gb gskill flare, 60gb SSD, 1TB WD black, all wrapped in an AMD dragon sniper black case.......topped off with 3-22" LED's in Eyefinity.

Also, which i3? I'm looking on newegg and there are several.

If you can save up a smidge more, you might be able to squeeze into an i5 2500k or i5 3570k, both of which will blow a Phenom II clear out of the water, like an atom bomb. Hunting down sales and rebate deals is key.
    "You with your fancy cooldowns and "runic" power! You know where my power comes from!? THE BACK OF MY HAND, #&!$%!"

My build:

NZXT Guardian 921RB Mid-Tower
    Intel Core i5-3570k @ 3.4GHz
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
    AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI-e 3.0x16
    ASRock B75m-DGS SATA 6GB/s
    SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX 12V
    SONY Black SATA DVD-ROM Optical Drive
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6GB/s

Cost me $710.93 when I bought it. It runs RIFT on high settings no problem - I can't remember a distinct moment where my FPS dropped on a regular basis (I.e. I've had one moment where the game decided to go a little wonky for three seconds, but that's it). Right now, some of those parts are a bit more expensive than they used to be - it's around $790, but if you replace the case with this:

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

And replace the CPU with the i5-3570 (if you don't intend to overclock too much), that'll cut off about $35. So it'd be around $755. This system blows away pretty much every game I play on high or ultra (Skyrim runs on ultra, 60+ FPS) with 50-60 FPS at the least.
    Last edited by Assassin0795; 05-29-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Telaran

Get the I5 4670k, or the I5 3570k.
    The new haswell cpus looks very promissing, I bought my pc like 4 months back. Couldnt wait for the haswell cpus... Kinda regret now.

A few key stuff to keep in mind:
    I5 4670k or I5 3570k
    Get a good motherboard, keep in mind that I5 4670k is LGA 1150, and I5 3570k is LGA 1155. So make sure to match the sockets on the cpu to the board.
    I am not a fanboy or whatever on either Nvidia or AMD. I buy what was great at the time. Do also keep in mind that driver performance increase on either Nvidia or AMD will make an impact on the performance. Some games run better on AMD, some run better on Nvidia. But a great card would be GTX 660 (TI if you can afford those extra bucks, can be OC'd to almost beat the 670 if its not OC'd) Or the 7870 by AMD would be a great choice. However, I dont know when AMD is going to relase their new series.
    Nvidia just relased the 770, which looks and works like a beast.

Get a PSU that delivers enough power, AND that lasts and can stay alive even if you are pushing it hard. 500W at least I would say.

Anything else than that is basicly optional. An SSD is maybe just for enthusiast and those who really care about loading speeds. I mean.... Rift loading up in a matter of seconds, quits in a matter of microseconds. Boots up in 30 seconds... I mean I am never ever again going back to HDD for OS.

Build me a system worthy or Mordor
    "Yeah, I'm on a drug, it's called Charlie Sheen!"

Echoing everyone else, definitely steer clear of that old AMD. It's outdated.

A good place to look at builds and total prices is over on the buildapc subreddit: http://reddit.com/r/buildapc

Lots of good discussion going on over there too. Good luck with your build, I also ordered parts recently and man, it is a fun rush to know you're putting together a new beast.
    Last edited by Akhet; 06-03-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Fixed the link.
    Akhet <Tabula Rasa> - Rogue
    World First Green Swirly Thing

+ Reply to Thread