+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By ilex011
  • 1 Post By intrinsc
  • 1 Post By Kiwi

Thread: TED Talk: Malcolm Gladwell: Choice, happiness and spaghetti sauce

  1. #1
    Ascendant ilex011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,309

    Default TED Talk: Malcolm Gladwell: Choice, happiness and spaghetti sauce

    http://www.ted.com/talks/malcolm_gla...tti_sauce.html

    This isn't related to games directly, but I love this guy and wanted to share. He's a great author and a wonderful speaker. Enjoy!
    Last edited by ilex011; 05-25-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

  2. #2
    RIFT Guide Writer intrinsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Warminster, PA
    Posts
    5,957

    Default

    This is one of my favorite TED talks of all time. It changed how I view a lot of my life, decisions, etc. It's certainly changed my perspective on things.

    Also this one: http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwa...of_choice.html
    Last edited by intrinsc; 05-25-2013 at 11:30 AM.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

  3. #3
    Ascendant the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    http://www.ted.com/talks/malcolm_gla...tti_sauce.html

    This isn't related to games directly, but I love this guy and wanted to share. He's a great author and a wonderful speaker. Enjoy!
    It may sound like it's not directly related to games, but consider:

    WoW's real basis of success was exactly this: They offered multiple ways to play. So if you liked PvP, they had that, and if you liked dungeons and raids, they had that, and so on. And Rift's gone a lot further with that than WoW ever did. The Rift devs have been totally open about the fact that they are trying to make it so different people play differently.

    And if you look at their F2P model, it's the same thing. You can sub, you can not-sub, you can buy items that have power, you can buy cosmetics. They're trying to create a game that lets you pick the kind of game you want. And given that they've done well at that with the basic gameplay, I think they are probably going to do okay with the F2P model, too.

    And the trick here is to realize that, with an MMO, you are only producing one "game", but you can make it such that people can play completely different ways. If someone never really bothers levelling much and just buys and trades dimension goods and works on dimensions, and has a great time, that's fine.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  4. #4
    Ascendant ilex011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    It may sound like it's not directly related to games, but consider:

    WoW's real basis of success was exactly this: They offered multiple ways to play. So if you liked PvP, they had that, and if you liked dungeons and raids, they had that, and so on. And Rift's gone a lot further with that than WoW ever did. The Rift devs have been totally open about the fact that they are trying to make it so different people play differently.

    And if you look at their F2P model, it's the same thing. You can sub, you can not-sub, you can buy items that have power, you can buy cosmetics. They're trying to create a game that lets you pick the kind of game you want. And given that they've done well at that with the basic gameplay, I think they are probably going to do okay with the F2P model, too.

    And the trick here is to realize that, with an MMO, you are only producing one "game", but you can make it such that people can play completely different ways. If someone never really bothers levelling much and just buys and trades dimension goods and works on dimensions, and has a great time, that's fine.
    Exactly what I was insinuating with "not directly", wanted to see if anyone would make the association on their own!
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

  5. #5
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,934

    Default

    LOVE Ted.com my daily "newspaper". I enjoyed this Idea Worth Spreading.

    Here's a talk related to gaming, delivery is a little awkward and probably far fetched to non-gamers lol but the message may speak to other gamers...

    Ted Talk: Jane McGonigal: Gaming can make a better world.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 05-26-2013 at 11:22 AM.

  6. #6
    Ascendant ilex011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anahera View Post
    LOVE Ted.com my daily "newspaper". I enjoyed this Idea Worth Spreading.

    Here's a talk related to gaming, delivery is a little awkward and probably far fetched to non-gamers lol but the message may speak to other gamers...

    Ted Talk: Jane McGonigal: Gaming can make a better world.
    I think I posted that one as well, last week. Great talk, as well!
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts