+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Delmlord

Thread: Your MMO history/ Lineage

Default Your MMO history/ Lineage

Because there is huge variety in ages, genders and playstyles here on Rift, not to mention the different genres and types of MMO out there I was curious as to when others started their MMO 'careers' and how they have progressed. What were your favourite aspects/ memories of these games? How has you playstyle evolved since you began?

For me, I started in 1997 on Ultima Online, which I played for 9 years (I know, right?!). I loved the class system there since everything was completely sandboxed. A new player casting a firebolt would do the same base damage as a 5 year veteran, the difference was the choice in abilities. Higher skill = more choice (and more flexibility etc). There, I was heavy roleplay. The game was built for it with the epic housing system and I would happily sit for hours on end in player created villages (housing was open world). The beauty was that professions used the same gains system as the 'active' combat skills etc, with a maximum amount of total skills, so a player could have a Pure crafter (mules!) and play the hapless villager etc.

I was eventually dragged, kicking and screaming, over to Warcraft with promises of amazing graphics (compare Ultima to WoW and you will see why we were so in awe) and promises of a completely different play experience. I began on the RP servers but found it really difficult to break into any of the cliques so moved to a PvE shard where I joined a Hardcore Progression guild. Once I got tired of the constant push and the stress (some thrive, I didn't) I decided to give PvP a go and spent a great deal of time playing the Arena and moved to a PvP server. I'm a roleplayer at heart though so I went back and finally broke into rp where I spent the remainder of my days in my own little fantasy world.

About a year before Rift, I floated. I tried Allods (lasted about 2 hours I think) and dipped into a few other games through trial promotions etc, even visiting Ultima Online again (it's still going but alas, the nostalgia didn't match the experience this time around).

When Rift finally hit, I found my new home. I began on and RP server but roleplay didn't really take off as well as expected and I moved on to end game pve again (Level 50 experts *le gaspe*) and dabbling in PvP. I assume rp took off after I left because everyone now and then I pop back over and there seems to be quite a few rp guilds going, the servers are too quiet for me at the moment though).

With the Release of SWToR I was once again dragged into a game I wasn't to keen on playing, though I did have a surprising amount of fun there with my friends. It was never quite what I wanted from a game to begin with so when the conversion happened, I signed off for good.

Around that time The Secret World was announced. The mechanics sounded like a modern interpretation of the Ultima mechanics and I was pretty eager for it to come. I think I've been looking for a 'new Ultima' ever since I left it lol. It was buggy at first, but i've seen far worse launches (WoW was completely unplayable for a period when it launched, don't let anyone fool you!) and as much as I love it, it's still not quite what I wanted.

Storm legion hit and I was drawn back to Rift, which I didn't realize I missed until I came back. As of now, I play between Rift and The Secret World, I love both for different reasons and will continue to play them until the last server is switched off, especially now that both are free. I've just reached level 60 and I'm back in the PvP scene more than any of the other aspects, though I do take breaks to work on achievements and collections.

Looking to the future, there are two games that have my attention, Archeage (houses and farms! yeay!) and Shroud of the Avatar (currently being developed by the makers of the original Ultima game). We'll see how they go and the pricing plan before I decide on which I will play most. If they are free to play then I guess I need to find a God willing to make able to function without sleep so I can fit all these games in, or create planet where it's always day and we don't need to work/ eat/ sleep.
    Last edited by Eylisia; 05-18-2013 at 06:10 AM.
    6/8 Large Dominos Pizza
    8/12 Krispy Kreme Box
    1/4 Pounder ...

Wait .. we don't list food raids in sigs?

My MMO experience is sadly lacking. I began my RPG career with Diablo, Elder Scrolls and later Dragon Age. It wasn't until perhaps about 2007 that I decided to try my hand on WoW because I really fancied the class system. Jumped on and off that bandwagon until I became a hardcore raider some time in 2010 and kept that up until I got interested in Rift.

First I really disliked Rift because everyone said it was going to be a WoW killer. The hype pushed me away from the entire thing. But then a couple of months after launch I decided to check it out myself and have stayed ever since. I've jumped back and forth between WoW but always felt my home belonged in Rift. In the end I just didn't bother logging into WoW anymore, it is neither a proper MMO nor an RPG.

In the inbetween I've tried most of the modern MMOs such as GW2, GW1, Tera, Aion, TSW and LoL. Nothing particularily stuck like Rift did.

But in relative terms I am still a huge MMORPG noob, especially compared to those who started their days at UO. In those days I was busy dressing up as a lotr elf in the woods with my friends and didn't own a computer that could support any kind of gaming xD

At the moment I am looking forward to ESO, EverQuest Next and ArcheAge. But my mmorpg home will always be Rift, even long after the last server has turned off its lights
    Last edited by Bluebell; 05-18-2013 at 03:09 PM.

"Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett

I used to be a solid fighting game player in DOA series and Tekken. I didn't start playing MMOrpgs until about 2010 when I got an Acer Predator for Xmas.

I still play consoles for exclusive and fighting games like MK9, but now I primarily enjoy MMO's.

My first MMO wasn't actually WoW, but Age of Conan. I loved its approach to keeping the combat in line with the traditional task/power bar system but adding a action element also. The lore, visuals and locales put it as my fav MMO for about a year, it was the lacking community, empty PVP and dungeons/raid grouping that caused me to move onto WoW.

I played WoW for many months but found a lot of aspects a bit too simple and aimed at too wide an audience to have its own identity and was never able to fully enjoy it the way I do AoC. I still play WoW every now and then.

In passing one day after about 2 months of playing WoW I picked up the free trial of Rift(when it was time, not level based) played to the end then bought it and have been an on off sub since.

Since I started playing MMOs I have had accounts in WoW, AoC, Rift, C9, Vindictus, The Secret World, GW1/2, Tera, FF14,SWToR and many others.

The only two I have ever really loved are Rift and AoC. The thing I loved about Rift was the crafting is really simple and straight forward yet still feels rewarding. I really enjoy running dungeons on a weekly basis and Rift has given me two of my fav' moments in playing MMOs.

1, being when Instant Adventuring was first introduced I was paired with a really great group of players and we had a ton of fun doing the tasks.
    2, was when I first played through the event of Summerfest. It is simple event but attracts a lot of players back and the world feels really alive and you get to group with a lot of great and welcoming Rift players(which is not really present in many other MMOs)

In game my current char is Darkwinter(lvl 54 Rogue)

So if anyone wants to friend me in Rift feel free, playing on Wolfsbane. Always looking for friendly players to group with and keep improving my play.

Everyones mmo life story... I would post mine but it would be a huge post and no one would read it. I'll keep it short!

Played RoM under frogsters P2W cash shop for ~ 6 years. Tried out a bunch of other mmos that all sucked except for a few really fun ones like D3 and LoL. Started playing rift after deciding to go with it instead of FFXIV although I'm a complete fanboi of SE.

I stuck around because I like quality content. Hopefully the content stays at high quality and the cash doesn't take over. But you know I'll still be playing this, I can't believe I gave up on SE haha.
    Last edited by Delmlord; 05-18-2013 at 04:11 PM.
    Rehashed, reskinned content =/= Exciting new content
    Retired from Rift thanks to Square E getting their stuff together

It's funny that you mentioned the SE fanboy thing. The only reason I even a console now is for the FF franchise and yet I've never played their MMO options, people always made me so wary of it which is a shame because, even right now, I look at trailers and stuff and wonder if I should take the plunge ...

If the game is poor then shame on them, because the franchise has such a solid foundation and massive fanbase to pull from already. If it's awesome? Shame on me for being a sheep and avoiding it because the crowd did.
    6/8 Large Dominos Pizza
    8/12 Krispy Kreme Box
    1/4 Pounder ...

Wait .. we don't list food raids in sigs?

Yeah I wish other companies put the amount of time, effort and innovation into their games like SE did with their games. These days nobody takes risks in the industry so they all pump out generic games with no story, no detail or depth for the sake of making money. Most can't even release a half decent soundtrack.. I would like to see some as ambitious as FX, KH, or FFXII those are some of the the best games ever imho. There's nothing like it.

Note I did like bioshock infinite, that was great haha
    Last edited by Delmlord; 05-18-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    Rehashed, reskinned content =/= Exciting new content
    Retired from Rift thanks to Square E getting their stuff together

I continue to maintain that the first MMO I played was Island of Kesmai, although that was... pretty different.

For the modern graphical stuff: Decided to try WoW because we were sick of wanting to play D&D but everyone's always too tired to run a game. Thought it was fun. Quit over Real ID (and no, they didn't really "back down" much at all... and their actions since only make me wish I'd quit over it sooner), went to CoH, started Rift, started TSW, started DDO when CoH went away.

In general, I won't play games with non-consensual PvP, so my pool of likely games is pretty limited. Also, MMOs are a minority of my gaming time.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

I also had an account on FF14 and am looking forward to a Realm Reborn getting the beta over with so I can get back into it.

The idea and potential of FF14 was pretty damn good but the execution was awful I must say. I thought things would improve over their much hyped 2.0 patch, but a lot of the main problems were not addressed. Hopefully aRR can do some justice to it and make it a top MMO.

+ Reply to Thread