+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lightwell

Thread: Neverwinter thread

Default Neverwinter thread

I am on the dragon server and am a trickster rogue. If anyone wants to team up for T1s or T2s, feel free to add me @intrinsc. I know a bunch of you are playing!
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

my highest level (52) is on Mindflayer and also a trickster rogue (yoovie @ geopenguin). I am really struggling with soloing the storyline quest bosses. Especially since my pocket healer is stuck at level 15.

only one on dragon is level 22 gwf (geo del gato @ geopenguin)

this is another thing I like, that we can have first and last names. I know they are supposed to combine everything to one server, but not sure when.
    Beware the Penguin...

They definitely have the tech to have one giant server because of the instancing feature for maps. I hope they do this for the commercial launch.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Rift Chaser

I've been trying the Neverwinter 'open beta' for the last month, here are my thoughts:

The Good

The action combat style feels dynamic and is a refreshing change, although not without its problems, particularly if you play a healer.

Crafting by proxy. You assign your crafting team to work on stuff while you play (or sleep!).

The Foundry - this to me is the real gem of the game, that players can make whole quests with custom maps for other players to play. Again it's not without problems though, particularly the current ingame method of searching through the available content, which is completely borked at the moment.

The Bad

Just about everything else. Top of the list has to be the exploits which have completely ruined the economy, basic programming errors which enabled some players to make literally billions of ingame currency. (The auction house would accept negative bids and when you won you got the item AND the currency for the absolute value of your bid!). They rolled back the servers 7 hours to try and fix it, but the exploit has been there ever since alpha and in this 'open beta' they have promised no more wipes, so...

The outrageous prices in the 'cash shop', $10 for a single character-bound bag, $6 for each respec.

Repetitive dungeon bosses. Basically almost every boss repeatedly spawns a ton of adds (which usually mob the healer as aggro is totally broken) and has various massive aes which you have to try to avoid

Total lack of end-game other than the Foundry material mentioned above.

In summary

I just wish a company with a competent setup like Trion would pick up the player-made-content idea and do it properly.
    Last edited by Lightwell; 05-24-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Agree mostly with the above.

I was never a fan of action MMO's but the combat in Neverwinter is amazing, in fact it's the best I ever encountered - if it had casting while moving it would have been perfect.

BUT despite having awesome combat the encounters are awful there's barely any mechanics involved the overall main mechanic is spawning more adds, then more adds and some more adds - very lame and boring.

Last but most important (and why I stopped playing) Perfect World/Cryptic are doing a real ****ty job at basically everything around the game, no support, numerous exploits and NOT effectively dealing with them. I had a founders pack and got a refund (and I spend all the money on Rift instead ;) )

+ Reply to Thread