+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Activision, makers of WOW, having a rough year.

Default Activision, makers of WOW, having a rough year.

I thought people might be interested in this article, based on Activision's recent earnings call:
    http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged...233637952.html

I'm sure everyone knows that WOW has been losing players from its peak, and that is to be expected, since numbers peaked in 2010 at just over 12 million players. However, it seems that this year so far has been a little rough.

The game had about 9 million just before the launch of Mist of Pandora. That gave WOW a temporary boost, but now the population sits at 8.3 million. According to the article, about 1.3 million have left in the last three months, primarily players from the East. They expect the decline to continue this year.

The article blames the decline on two major factors, the weak global economy, and increased competition from FTP games.

Other challenges Activision faces this year include general uncertainty revolving around console systems, especially the Wii U, and the release of Battlefield 4, which competes with Call of Duty.

2 things, activision didnt make WoW and the expansion was called mists of pandaria.

That said WoW losing subscribers doesnt suprise me

It was bound to happen sometime the same stuff gets old but damn lol. How long has WoW been and probably still the king of mmorpgs even against crazy F2P competition like NCsoft? I wonder what they'll release next Hearthstone was a joke.
    Last edited by Delmlord; 05-09-2013 at 03:00 PM.

I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't stabilize at something lower like 7-7.5 million. Any other MMO would kill for those numbers, though. The increased competition from quality F2P games in Asia is probably the biggest factor here. In that market, subs don't make sense. People often just buy time at computer cafes and play that way. So, 8.3 million subs is misrepresented when they probably have another 2-3 million players that do not have a subscription. Oh, and a lot of those yearly subs that came with free D3 also expires, which I'm sure was a big downer. Either way, I play on a medium to high pop server and it's always active, so news like this aren't really felt in the NA servers.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

lol ... weak economy and ftp games? bullcrap! Is that a blizz rep saying that or yahoo pulling it out their ***? Its their constant focus on grinds=content and big FU to their customers with CRZ thats bringing them down so fast.

Its funny... when they first started losing subs they blamed Diablo. That all their players were cancelling and playing that instead and they would come back with MoP. Now its "ftp" and the economy thats doing better than it was before the recession even started

Ascendant

WoW might have lost a million of subscribers but they have kept 8 million still so I'd be a happy shareholder, it's an eight year old game remember!

The problem with Activision-Blizzard is that it's solely relying on two games - WoW and the yearly Call of Duty. WoWs sub base will gradually shrink, that's a given so Blizzard are trying a new MMO 'Titan' and the only CONFIRMED information we have on that is it's sci-fi. I have no doubt it'll won't be as successful as WoW, and it wont adopt a subscription model so it's probably F2P or even B2P. Activision has far greater problems, all it takes is a few bad reviews and then the game franchise will plummet that year. I'm sure buying reviews with most sites helps negate that. The games industry is broken, games cost too much to make and studios milk any franchise if it makes a profit until it goes belly up.

+ Reply to Thread