+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: camelot unchained !! daoc2 not ;)

Soulwalker

Default camelot unchained !! daoc2 not ;)

was not sure if there are any old daoc players like myself looking at this new game its currently on www.kickstarter.com trying to get funding. Mark Jacobs back at helm without EA holding him back. its basically tri realm rvr with a minecraft like building system that you can build your own realm looks very promising if you do like 3 way proper risk/reward rvr and crafting,housing its well worth a look . lots of info on the comments section its like a chat channel of old daoc players
    Hoping I can get back to been a dwarf Viking again well hope this might get a few old daoc friends back in touch
    Ganked unity aka Granet, Red Vathgimer Tristan.

Champion of Telara

<-backed along with some friends
    Drathek norse thane mid perc / hero hib gareth / bard hib guin
    Adskam pac healer mid perc
    Drakkar Strykers, Short Fuse, Trained Again, Dark Vanguard guilds
    Drakkles - Warrior - Jynxed
    ]

I've yet to find a game that had the PVP/RVR that DAoC had. DAoC (hands down) had the best PVP I've ever played. God, I miss that game so much. All other PVP just simply pales in comparison.

Soulwalker

Same for me DAOC was my first real mmo and only one I really enjoyed pvp in as I loved the open not instanced feel solo group and zerg were all fun to play in and against.
    solo on my zerk or savage was always fun and actually knowing your enemy's on sight and who was a threat or respected. well hopefully Camelot unchained will have the right ingredients to bring a fresh look at the pvp genera I don't really want pve just to do pvp but I still want pvp to mean something and give reward and improvement

Soulwalker

http://camelotunchainedfaq.wikispace...w+-+Start+here

good link someone did for information

Champion of Telara

bump
    if you are a pvper or love crafting or dimensions I'd highly recommend checking that out. sounds fantastic so far
    ]

I'm going to have to keep an eye on this. I loved DAoC back in the day. Fantastic game.
    Beep Beep Ima Jeep@Deepwood http://http://beepbeep.guildlaunch.com
    Asaomar Lv 60 Rogue Tank[Main]-Miniderps Lv 60 Cleric Tank[Alt]-Shederps Lv 60 Mage[Alt]
    Boss Kill videos | My Live Stream
    All T1 Content ClearedGrim Awakening 4/4, Infinity Gate 2/3, Planebreaker Bastion 3/5

daoc <3<3<3<3

Soulwalker

Update in 10 to 15 mins on kickstarter camelot page 7 days left for this game to fund its looking better and better

Champion of Telara

building update already up today looks fantastic for literally only two days of work on it

lore update coming out in minutes
    game sounds like it will be amazing! check it out and back it!
    ]

Champion of Telara

http://www.onrpg.com/articles/editor...d-an-industry/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...kickstart-mmos

two really good articles on it

seriously.. this game gives me chills already as a focused rvr player. All the awesome stuff you miss from Daoc will be there, with some twists. Massive pvp focus, and housing! Player built houses and fortresses. It will be amazing if made. I highly recommend backing it, even if for only 5-25 bucks, just so that something this good could be made
    ]

Soulwalker

Well only 70hrs left to see if this kickstarter gets enough pledges 10k daoc backers currently bitting nails to see if this gets the last min big push that normaly happens with there projects

The kickstarter succeeded, by the way. Thanks to the OP for bringing this to my attention!

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Star View Post
    The kickstarter succeeded, by the way. Thanks to the OP for bringing this to my attention!
    DAoC's pvp/rvr was only good because it was first. Am I the only person who played it from launch that remembers how every server was just one massive realm sanctuary (one huge faction... 2 little ones)? Don't even get me started on the Atlantis expansion.

Point being... DAoC was a mediocre game (and didn't have that much of a following at all... barely broke 100k subs in its first couple of years). It was unique in that it had the 3-way RvR system but as soon as people learned how to break the system... they did and so went the quality of the game.

If you want to know what DAoC was like... go play Planetside 2. It too is 3-way RvR and suffers from the same exact problems. Overpopulated realms with constant advantages... bloated class/role/item balance issues due to the plethora of racial specific items and so on.

DAoC had something Camelot won't have... that being something to do while your side is completely backed out of anything productive to do. When the other realm has your side outnumbered 20 to 1 at 3am, you could pick up and go PvE a bit. Camelot is PS2 with a weird DD style of dungeon. No PvE at all, ever. So, if that team of 20:1 odds wants the Deeps... they'll get it and you get to go do something else. That... being probably log off and play something else.

THAT is the DAoC I remember. You played your Alb on Guinevere until the Mids logged on during prime time then you switched to Percival on your Hib. Otherwise, you'd only be defending keeps against ungodly uneven odds with 0 chance of being anything other than a hapless target dummy for their ballistae and catapults.

On premise, I loved DAoC. For the same reasons I like PS2. The reason I ended up loathing that and PS2 is the playerbase. If people are somehow forced to play the game as the developers intended it... then great. It'll be a good game. However, if it goes the way of PS2 where the NC outnumbers every other faction by 4:1 combined... then it will be just another shoebox success story.

Let's not forget that Jacobs has a wonderful track record of making games nobody likes. He got lucky with DAoC because it was a fresh idea. Castles II and DAoC are largely his only true commercial successes. His last RvR title (Warhammer) was a complete and total flop... and it used the DAoC paradigm part and parcel.

We just have to remember that DAoC was just new car smell. 3-way RvR does not work any more. It isn't the game concept... but the nature of the PvPer has changed. No longer do PvPers want to have exciting fights... they just want to win. Go play League of Legends and watch the chat on some ranked games sometime. Those are your MMO PvPers and the kind of people who play them. With this type of player... without strict controls, you won't have a level playing ground. We saw this in PS2 and Warhammer as well as GW2. This happens also in EVE.

Long gone are the days when DAoC was relevant. Back then, there were still some good PvPers around who liked a good fight and there was a bit of an honor system. You didn't treat people poorly back then really. Today though... yeeesh.

I know I'm old as dirt and all but I really don't think it's possible to make a PvP centric MMO that also carries with it a good name that delivers quality entertainment for a broad spectrum of people... and THAT is what it takes to make a good MMO. PvPers often populate the bottom rung... the very dregs of society. They're the faux closet racists, the slur slinging morons and the most toxic people I've ever dealt with in any game. These are the people who formulate the largest segment of the PvP centric target market. Not all PvPers are bad... There is, sadly, way too many of them.

-THIS- is the big challenge for Camelot. Not the game, the mechanics or the system requirements but the players. Never underestimate the power of a do0d to absolutely kill a good game. Faeblight... I'm lookin' at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    (Holy crap...super sharing time)
    So basically, you're saying...hate the player, not the game?

Jokes aside, I do realize that DAOC was over a decade ago, and that the common denominators in MMO populations are now substantially lower. However, I'm still going to give it a shot. I can't imagine it being much worse than Rift PvP.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast