+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Massive Multiplayer Games and Behavior - Thesis Survey

Soulwalker

Default Massive Multiplayer Games and Behavior - Thesis Survey

Below is a posting from a friend of mine who does not play WoW. I offered to post this since I have access to the boards. I know nothing about all the smartness related to his thesis.

Please do not PM me about the following post, refer to contact information within the link.

To mods: I am not a bot. I promise. This is NOT SPAM. If necessary I can provide contact information for someone at Purdue to verify the legitimacy of the study.

Hello everyone,

Finishing up my masters thesis regarding MMOs and self-perceived behavior. If you could please take a moment out of your time to take this survey, or if you know someone who would be interested in participating please pass it along! Below is the general advert and link for the completely anonymous online survey. Thank you in advance if you take the survey or pass it along to anyone you know!

An online study regarding massive multiplayer online games (MMOs) and behavior is looking for participants. If you are at least 18 years old, currently living within the United States and have played an MMO within the last three months then you are eligible to participate. This study is investigating the relationship between playing MMOs and behavior as well as between motivations for playing MMOs and behavior. Your participation will help the scientific community acquire necessary research on electronic gaming.

If you know people who may fit the criteria and may be interested in participating in this survey, you are welcome and encouraged to provide them with this information and web link.

http://isprsurvey.purduecal.edu/surv...cawi/mmostudy1

Link is clean it is a university server.

Interesting idea for a thesis! I poked through the survey, thought it might be worth mentioning to your friend a section establishing baseline behavior apart or aside from that related to MMO's. Specifically whether someone already has a history of violence or mental disorders. Might find too that it's chicken and egg. Personally I've had a fairly colorful life prior to MMO's including the military and martial training. MMO's came late in my development and probably didn't cause my desire to throttle people though it might exacerbate it.

Soulwalker

I know the guidelines state no thread bumps, this is a very inactive sub-forum and it has been almost a month so please don't hate me mods.

This survey is indeed still active and I would like to encourage some more activity. take 7 minutes out of your life and help out a soon to be grad.

Thanks all

The questions are seemingly...leading IMO.
    But I filled it out.

One of them that said to leave it blank (if I read it correctly) didn't allow me to leave it blank.

Unfortunately I can not help you since I do not live in the states

Why do you limit your study to United states?

Cause i could amaze you in the department of the mass behavior on mmos

As i'm studying , interacting and deeply thinking on the subject

I'm digging on the deepest parts of the psychological behaviors of people on Rift, the causes, the effects, the "common" processuses of thinking

The love, the hate, the attention, the interaction, the individualism vs the altruism

Oh well, I would have a lot to share

I'm from Canada tho, So if you ever want to know more, send a message or something

I'm also more involved in the PVP player base of the game, and aggression is fully present there :0

<3, Exxy

Quote Originally Posted by Exxyy View Post
    Why do you limit your study to United states?

Cause i could amaze you in the department of the mass behavior on mmos
    Probably to control the population size within the results and at the same time limit the discussion to factors found within US cultre/behaviour patterns. Other countries and other cultures would cause potential conflict in the analysis. However for further work, comparision of a set number of people from multiple cultures/backgrounds would add value to the discussion.

I'll give you that for your thesis
    Last edited by Intim; 05-14-2013 at 04:51 AM.
    Intim @ Zaviel EU
    Twitch Channel ,YouTube,Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Intim View Post
    Probably to control the population size within the results and at the same time limit the discussion to factors found within US cultre/behaviour patterns. Other countries and other cultures would cause potential conflict in the analysis. However for further work, comparision of a set number of people from multiple cultures/backgrounds would add value to the discussion.

I'll give you that for your thesis
    Agreed

But it would be easy to separate results in 2 or more categories

As you would get comparative elements to other cultures too

It could go even deeper than that

Well, I'm pretty interested in your thesis, I'm doing something similar, but all in my mind

So if ya need any support/help/brainstorming

Feel free to contact me, I really go deep into thinking,

<3, Exxy

Quote Originally Posted by Exxyy View Post
    Agreed

But it would be easy to separate results in 2 or more categories

As you would get comparative elements to other cultures too

It could go even deeper than that

Well, I'm pretty interested in your thesis, I'm doing something similar, but all in my mind

So if ya need any support/help/brainstorming

Feel free to contact me, I really go deep into thinking,

<3, Exxy
    I totally agree. I think it's probably a limitation of the design for the thesis at hand as it might become a lot of work for the time frame in the masters. I know it would take a while to get responses anyway and then to write up. Also there is a variable of which MMo's that might have an effect on the results if you go to widely different MMO's

I suspect it's a limiting to allow something to be done otherwise time is short and it would all be for 0 if no thesis came ontime
    Intim @ Zaviel EU
    Twitch Channel ,YouTube,Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Intim View Post
    I totally agree. I think it's probably a limitation of the design for the thesis at hand as it might become a lot of work for the time frame in the masters. I know it would take a while to get responses anyway and then to write up. Also there is a variable of which MMo's that might have an effect on the results if you go to widely different MMO's

I suspect it's a limiting to allow something to be done otherwise time is short and it would all be for 0 if no thesis came ontime
    You are right, There is also so many variables to keep in mind I'm really good at evaluating all those !!

=)

Well if you are ever interested to push it even further

I'm your man, I need new challenges in life =)

Great Minds, Thinks Alike

<3, Exxy
    Last edited by Exxyy; 05-14-2013 at 05:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread