+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cable or Satellite

Rift Disciple

Default Cable or Satellite

I live in a small town, and the cable here is terrible.

I've thought of switching to satellite, but I've heard that satellite is terrible for gaming.

Does anyone think that satellite is good for gaming? Is cable better, even if it is a terrible cable company?

Is it cable that is available to you, or is it DSL? DSL runs over phone lines afaik and has many limiting factors and things that can interfere w\ your bandwidth.

Cable can get bogged down but generally should be better than DSL.

Satelite, you're sending your signal through the air over a long distance... My only experience w\ it was pretty bad. The user I was supporting would call me up and they'd actually be getting quicker response time on their dial up connection than their satelite connection.
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

As far as internet is concerned go with cable. Sattelite innately has a large amount of latency due to the signal have to travel to space and all. They also tend to place unreasonable restrictions on data usage because of the limited nature of sattelite bandwidth. So your only options really are cable or fiber optic if available, DSL is too slow. For TV on the other hand sattelite is much more cost effective because cable companies are terrible, and weather disrupting your service just doesn't happen anymore.

Rift Disciple

Thank you for your replies.

I have cable, not DSL.

I live in a small hick town, so the cable here isn't very good. I miss living in the city, where the cable was awesome.

I wish that I had more than one choice. Unfortunately, it appears that I am stuck with this terrible cable company.

+ Reply to Thread