+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: On the verge of a World War 3? Sigh

Nothing major will happen.
    Unless little Kim feels threatened by his Generals (if they aren't already pulling the strings), in which case he might just do something stupid to cement his authority.

Well ... seems I was wrong. This is getting interesting now.

/popcorn
    Last edited by Kayote; 04-10-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Champion of Telara Sargonnas_KoA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IonCannon View Post
    I just wanted to comment on the thought the economic sanctions are ineffective (I know you didn't say that directly but it is read like that). The world no longer works that each country is self sufficient we all rely on each other for some quality of life essentials. Iran for example has a major healthcare crisis because it cannot afford to import enough medical equipment needed to do even basic procedures. North Korea has been in a state of famine and technological stagnation for several decades now. Cuba (who was only embargoed by the US) was for up until recently severely behind the times in most municipal services and quality of infrastructure, causing large scale poverty. The issue is that a lot of the time economic sanctions operate by the UN / US / Security Council saying "Let us just sanction everything but absolute bare necessities and see what sticks." So the consequences are the people of the sanctioned nation bare the brunt of the affects. Meaning the current powers that be just blame "The west", the US, or the UN and don't suffer enough civil unrest to reconsider what they did to "deserve" the sanctions or to be ousted. Sanctions are really powerful tool they should just do not have a good record when trying to influence regime on there own. In theory sanctions are a tool to cause enough civil unrest that any nation would come to the bargain table over what ever policy is controversial not a tool for regime change. The common consensus is that sanctions have mixed results. They work in a lot of low profile situations (trade disputes) and don't really work in high profile situations (nuclear proliferation).
    Its not that I think sanctions are ineffective as much as they are not effective enough. Sanctions may make it harder for countries like Iran and North Korea to get nuclear weapons, but those countries still are slowly getting them. They make agreements that they break, or do something that creates more sanctions, but the end result so far has been that its not stopping them, only slowing them down. The people in power in those countries realize nobody is willing to really do anything to really stop them so far so the situation grows worse over time till one day one of those lunatics really has the ability to do serious damage with nuclear weapons, or even target the continental U.S. The crazies dont think rationally and sanctions hurt the common people more than those in power, but the people are often so brainwashed or terrified they wont ever turn against the government.

NK has weaponized nuke but don't worry it is "unreliable"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimhalpert View Post
    NK has weaponized nuke but don't worry it is "unreliable"
    It's just a balloon full of really smelly farts.
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

Years ago I had a couple of Korean students boarding with me and I asked them were they from North or South Korea. They burst out laughing - that's how I discovered the difference

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    Nothing major will happen.
    That all depends on the perception the Norks have of the will of the United States.

what lies before us and lays behind us is nothing compared to what lies to our faces

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4