+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: WildStar Online

Ascendant

Default WildStar Online

http://www.wildstar-online.com/uk/ne...star_raids.php

I heard about this game yesterday and read their philosophy on content design/raids. It all sounds great. Here was the most compelling excerpt:

And to hell with just having a raid system for the sake of it – we want one cool enough where the best raiding guilds come to WildStar. Which means we need to both do the regular stuff well and have some cool new stuff to take things to the next level.

So we’re a bit old-school. Big *** raids. Tough raids. Raids you have to earn your way into beating, and raids that aren’t made so your grandma can make it through. Sure, we can make things easier over time - but only if there are new challenges to give a tough time to the hardest of the hardcore.
    They've got a vision, and if they stick to it we could possibly see raid content which rivals/trumps Rift/WoW.

Yeah I got fairly excited when I read that. The 40 man content raids did give me pause though. I've never done content with so many people but I can't imagine the personnel dynamics is much fun, 20/25 can be bad enough at times.
    Nope.

Big *** raid lmao

Great idea, nice to know there are devs not afraid give the hardcore something to have fun with. One thing I noticed and really liked was the random mechanics on the open world mobs, it makes leveling and questing or anything in open world fun, exciting and different. Kind of like the BAMs in Tera. Rift should get rid of the "stupid" open world mobs and spice it up.
    Last edited by Delmlord; 04-01-2013 at 05:10 AM.
    Rehashed, reskinned content =/= Exciting new content
    Retired from Rift thanks to Square E getting their stuff together

I've watched all of their promo videos and read a lot of their blogs. The game has a very relaxed attitude, they don't seem to take themselves too seriously. Which is refreshing.

Afaik the world mobs don't have random mechanics, there is just a lot of different ones. As opposed to caster, melee, archer and elite versions of those.
    Nope.

That is all nice and well, but the 40man raiding part disturbs me a bit. If an enormous game like WoW had to ditch it because of the logistics required to pull off completing these raids was taxing on guilds I can't imagine an upstart keeping it up shortly past launch. Any decent company will look at metrics and see it's not being done enough to warrant the man power that would go into balancing, testing, designing 40man content. They have ambitions, but even as a raider at heart I have to desire to even step foot into that game until I see footage of encounters or more detailed information.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

When i seen this thread i decided to check out some videos and stuff. Now I am really excited for this game :P

Quote Originally Posted by intrinsc View Post
    That is all nice and well, but the 40man raiding part disturbs me a bit. If an enormous game like WoW had to ditch it because of the logistics required to pull off completing these raids was taxing on guilds I can't imagine an upstart keeping it up shortly past launch. Any decent company will look at metrics and see it's not being done enough to warrant the man power that would go into balancing, testing, designing 40man content. They have ambitions, but even as a raider at heart I have to desire to even step foot into that game until I see footage of encounters or more detailed information.
    Yea its gonna be interesting to see. The 40 man pve/pvp and the combat overall is what im excited to see if it plays out well.

I dont know why wow switched to 25/10 man content, blizzard def have diffrent mindset towards raiding than carbine (seem to have). They are gonna make raiding for raiders and if only 10% see a raid zone so be it.

fan-made graphic of content availble at launch http://wildstar-central.com/index.ph...reakdown.2035/ (might not be 100% accurate)
    Last edited by Salazar666; 04-04-2013 at 06:23 AM.
    World first Maelforge! -World First Cyril kalmar! -World Second Murdantix! - World second Laethys!

40 man raids? There's an awful idea that should just stay dead. I'm not sure a cat herding simulator sounds all that fantastic anymore.

When I discovered Wildstar about 2 weeks ago and started watching all the videos and reading all the articles about the various features, this was my reaction:

http://i.imgflip.com/16fou.gif

I have now sucked the internet dry of all Wildstar knowledge and I'm starving for more information.
    Deepwood | Aschana | H1325 | PA1427 | R94 | 20017 pts
    ~ Dedicated Chloromancer ~

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

Been following this game since it was still internal to Carbine Studios. It's come a long way, it's a game that even has my attention.
    --BC

Rift Chaser

40 man raiding is the reason me and my guildies are considering leaving Rift for WS can't dam wait
    We started out with 72 man raiding in EQ, fun times, not had as much fun since then in all these smaller raiding games.

Took a look; it has piqued my interest.

Week to Week (and Fight to Fight) Variance

One of the design goals we've had since the beginning [...] is to work our hardest to keep that content fresh.
    [...]
    Dungeon layouts, encounter composition, individual abilities, inherently random events, progression paths within an instance…we've really tried to push the number of ways to keep things fresh as much as possible.
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/ne...star_raids.php

That's rather interesting. Kind of wary about 40-man raids; but there's other options too so I won't have to participate in 40-man if I don't want to.
    I just find that most people have grown up - have jobs/family/other responsibilities and it seems like 40-mans would be difficult to maintain/coordinate without frustrating people. That said I can see it working for top-end, hardcore progression guilds since their members tend to be...well...hardcore and dedicated enough and they won't need to worry as much about people taking a raid off due to things in RL popping up.

"WildStar Flavor" also means giving you choices. This is where Warplot PvP shines. In Warplot PvP, Warparties (formal guild-like structures – you can be in a Warparty and you can be in a guild!) will be able to own large plots of land in which they can add modifications to build up their base. The Warparty can then queue up for Warplot PvP and be matched against similarly skilled/built-out opponents. Warparty players will be able to damage and destroy modifications, repair their own modifications, and lay down mines, traps, and much more. There’s nothing static about that!
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/ne...alysis_pvp.php

I like the concept of Warplots which I'm seeing a lot of upcoming MMOs are looking at providing (i.e. castle/fort-building rather than static buildings).
    Will be interesting to see how that works out.

Was kind of disappointed with their Warfront comments though, or at least their CTF example of how 'Wildstar' is 'different' since it sounded exactly like Escalation: Whitefall Steppes minus the increasing amount of 'flag' spawns.
    Last edited by Jonus; 04-28-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Ooo, their player housing is rather interesting too:
    http://www.gamespot.com/wildstar/vid...using-6405900/

Stuff can be placed and rotated like with Rift Dimensions, but there's a lot more interactivity - such as a mine plot, farm plot, portal-to-raid, buffs, extra rested xp for logging off in your player house + more rested xp depending on the items you have/etc. Although it seems there's a lot less customizability compared to Rift's planks/boards/etc.
    You can even have your friends use your farm plots/mine plots and they get something for themselves whilst benefiting you. Also the video mentions going to friends' houses and fighting off bandits/etc.

New 'Movement' video.
    Don't laugh! Movement is important, and the video reveals some enemies/gameplay/class skills/etc.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qo5nrkYYI0
    Last edited by Jonus; 05-10-2013 at 04:55 AM.

Ascendant

the best bets are, the raids will be grandma easy 3 months after launch latest ^^

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast