+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pc upgrade. Raid 0 config

Soulwalker

Default Pc upgrade. Raid 0 config

Hey everyone,
    I recently decided it was time to spend some of that income tax return on some nice things, and my storage situation is in dire need of an upgrade.

just a note, I consider myself somewhat tech savoy (on my 2nd build and no problems), but when it comes to storage and raid arrays im still learning, so bare with me.

I recently built a new system (specifically for gaming), but carried over my old 500gb WD 7200rpm HDD. I plan(ned) on upgrading it, but with the price of SSD's dropping I'm thinking that purchasing one and running it in raid 0 with my old HDD might be the way to go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820239049
    Is what im currently looking at.

my question is, for performance, what would be better? buy a newer faster HDD and just use a single drive? or purchase this SSD and run my OS and a few applications (mostly games, stress test applications, etc) on it and use my current HDD for storage (music, movies, older games, etc)?

or am I completely off with how I should set this up? any advice is greatly appreciated!!

thanks in advance!

I've tried going Raid 0 with 4 drives, and I'm currently running on ssd. Raid was a slight improvement over 1 drive, solid state blew it out of the water. That said, if you have the money to blow SSD's do scale well in raid 0

edit: I can't recommend using an ssd+hdd in raid. Raid 0 splits everything in half and pulls from 2 sources... you don't want it to be forever waiting for the hdd.
    Last edited by Demp; 03-26-2013 at 03:52 AM.

CPU: i7 2600K @ 4.8Ghz Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth P67 RAM: 8 G.SKILL Ripjaws X (1600, running @ 2400) GPUs: 2 x 460GTX's Monitors: 3 x ASUS VG236 w/ Nvidia 3D kit SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 240GB

Ideal: 1 SSD for OS, 1 SSD for games, 1 HDD for data, 1 external HDD for backup

Good enough for most people: 1 large SSD for OS and games, 1 HDD for data

Don't RAID SSDs, just buy one larger capacity one. Definitely don't RAID an SSD and a HDD together (if that's even allowed by the RAID controller).
    Avatar by Rotaken on deviantART.

Really no reason to go the raid route for gaming. Any increase in performance would be minute.

Quote Originally Posted by ndrumongell View Post
    just a note, I consider myself somewhat tech savoy (on my 2nd build and no problems), but when it comes to storage and raid arrays im still learning, so bare with me.

I recently built a new system (specifically for gaming), but carried over my old 500gb WD 7200rpm HDD. I plan(ned) on upgrading it, but with the price of SSD's dropping I'm thinking that purchasing one and running it in raid 0 with my old HDD might be the way to go.
    You're a fool if you're trying to run an SSD in a raid configuration on a home system.

tl;dr
    Don't.

+ Reply to Thread