+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Neverwinter, Never Fear Trion...

Default Neverwinter, Never Fear Trion...

This past weekend I took part in the second Neverwinter Beta...I believe Rift doesn't have anything to fear from this game.

I cannot really go into a lot of details, and the main reason I am looking at Neverwinter is it's foundry system which was offline, but I found basically a world with one storyline quest and a lot of grinding just to get up to level 20. The payout and rewards are miniscule, and you cannot use mounts until level 20 (and you cannot even afford one then). I did not try any of their dungeons or pvp, so cannot comment on that.

The saddest thing about it was that the opening is almost AoC reborn. I am disappointed in the combat system too. Basically a couple of attacks you can spam while waiting for a handful of specialized attacks on cd's.

The thing I liked most about it was having companions that you level as well. However, my pocket healer spent more time drawing aggro and dieing than actually healing me (or themselves). Yet I think this is a game meant for groups of people instead of solo adventure as you are constantly ganked by packs of mobs. Plus I could not afford a second companion as the price of them is almost as much as a mount (you get one as a quest reward during grinding).
    Beware the Penguin...

Ascendant

My boyfriend is looking forward to the game because he believes that having each class necessary for something (I.e. a rogue to pick locks) would be fun to play. I haven't looked at the game, but from the sounds of it, it's not going to be my cup of tea.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

Rift has nothing to fear from any other game. It survived all those pre-SWTOR, pre-GW2 predictions.

The only game that is killing Rift at the moment is Rift.
    Bisqquit | R53

NW lol, was it even competition?

just searhed for the game and saw some videos cause i never heard of it, and have to say that i dont like anything from the things i saw.

Looks very 'old skool' and been totally free to download and play, might be worth a look.

Then again somebody in the Guild said he spent 200 Euro to be "guaranteed" Beta spots....in a totally F2P game

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Geopenguin View Post
    This past weekend I took part in the second Neverwinter Beta...I believe Rift doesn't have anything to fear from this game.

I cannot really go into a lot of details, and the main reason I am looking at Neverwinter is it's foundry system which was offline, but I found basically a world with one storyline quest and a lot of grinding just to get up to level 20. The payout and rewards are miniscule, and you cannot use mounts until level 20 (and you cannot even afford one then). I did not try any of their dungeons or pvp, so cannot comment on that.

The saddest thing about it was that the opening is almost AoC reborn. I am disappointed in the combat system too. Basically a couple of attacks you can spam while waiting for a handful of specialized attacks on cd's.

The thing I liked most about it was having companions that you level as well. However, my pocket healer spent more time drawing aggro and dieing than actually healing me (or themselves). Yet I think this is a game meant for groups of people instead of solo adventure as you are constantly ganked by packs of mobs. Plus I could not afford a second companion as the price of them is almost as much as a mount (you get one as a quest reward during grinding).
    Gonna guess you never played D&D. Getting to level 20 is an epic achievement, that few players are ever supposed to achieve. Likewise rewards are small increases in power, not big ones. A D&D game is not like WoW, Rift, TESO, etc will be. The comparison to Neverwinter should be DDO. As DDO pretty much encapsulates the D&D experience as best you can do it an MMO format. Much like DDO it is absolutely designed for group play, not solo. This game was clearly not designed for you, stick with Rift. Neverwinter will occupy a space similar to TESO. Its got a specialized approach that won't have wide appeal but certain people will really like it I'm sure.

The foundry is the thing I'm waiting to see, I loved the old Bioware game NWN which had an absolutely amazing foundry.
    Last edited by Khelendross; 03-21-2013 at 09:49 PM.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Champion of Telara Sargonnas_KoA's Avatar

Neverwinter is being made by Cryptic and they have a history of rapidly releasing cookie cutter games that become very disappointing after playing a short time. I would love Neverwinter to be great as a old D&D player, but I have no reason to believe it will be anything more than any other disappointing game they have released.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Sargonnas_KoA View Post
    Neverwinter is being made by Cryptic and they have a history of rapidly releasing cookie cutter games that become very disappointing after playing a short time. I would love Neverwinter to be great as a old D&D player, but I have no reason to believe it will be anything more than any other disappointing game they have released.
    Its quite good. Combat feels a bit slow compared to Rift though. Its not just Cryptic though, the game was bought by Perfect World so while I think Cryptic developed it, PW is handling the game now. They did a pretty good job with Blacklight Retribution.
    Last edited by Khelendross; 03-22-2013 at 02:13 PM.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

I took part in this weekend's Neverwinter beta. Without going into detail I can say that within about...oh an hour or so, I had logged out and uninstalled it. The Foundry system, while cool, doesn't make up for everything else feeling mediocre at best (thats just my opinion mind you, I am sure plenty are loving it)
    Vanilla Rift (Cleared) - ToDQ 4/4 - FT 4/4 - EE 5/5 - GA 1/4

It's terrible.
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

Blade and soul and wild star look amazing

Wannabe Mage Guide Writer
    6/6 Dragons
    A website for all your Rift needs
    www.riftscene.com

play defiance
    its awesome
    who took my names!

Partook in the beta last weekend..

.. It felt like a discount version of Gw2. Like, controls are the same pretty much, but it doesn't have a walk toggle, isn't nearly as pretty, many of the UI elements look terrible and are quite confusing. It was fun to have a freezeray though.

Yeah, I'd say the game's only potential redeeming feature will be the ability for players to make their own dungeons/campaigns. Anyone else looking for some kind of MMO evolution or game-killer ain't gonna find it here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast