+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ahielia

Thread: Need help building a new PC

Plane Touched

Default Need help building a new PC

Howdy,

I'm finally upgrading from the PC I built for the years I planned to spend in Warhammer Online... That went well...

Regardless, I"m ready to shell out some more money and bring my gaming into the current decade. I have two thoughts: One--buy everything from Newegg or whatnot and have a local shop put it all together. Two--Buy one preassembled.

Right now I'm looking at Alienware's X51 and Aurora. (I hate Dell, but I've always heard good things about Alienware, so who knows.)

The one thing I do know is that I want an i7 processor and 8gb minimum of RAM. Also, 1TB hard drive minimum. The Aurora has some nice pieces in it, but I am absolutely in LOVE with the small package the X51 comes in. My biggest concern would be the lack of cooling for the processor as it supposedly runs hot. The Aurora is liquid cooled.

http://www.alienware.com/Landings/pr...&acd=sSghgmBAc

There's the link if anyone cares to look.

If I go with either of those, I'll probably come out in the $1500 range. I'm not a super gamer, so something that will keep me semi-current for the next 3 or 4 years is my target.

Does anyone have thoughts on either of those two boxes?

Anyone care to suggest me a build?

I can talk to customer support at Alienware or at my local shop but it'll be biased information. Can I build/buy a decent rig for $1500? I can go higher, but I don't need to be bleeding edge anymore.

Also, I've always been a Radeon guy, but it looks like the nvidia GTX is the best option right now. The 660 looks to be about my speed, but would it be worth it to grab the 680M? Or is there a better card out there?

Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks.

I get most of my techy infos from Toms Hardware. They never seem to recommend CPUs over a certain price, and avoid i7s for gaming (something to do with there not being that much difference in gaming performance, but a big difference in price).

I would suggest a solid state drive in addition to your HDD. Doesn't have to be huge... I use 120GB which is enough for my OS, Rift, GW2, BF3 and then some! Will probably set you back another $100 or more though!

Again with the price thing for GPUs, the 680s are about $150 more than 660s, but in 6 months that difference will probably be less than $50.

Ascendant

Nvidia plays nicer with Rift so despite liking AMD more, I would go with Intel/Nvidia

if you get an I7 (which is not really necessary unless streaming or unless you like to play benchmark games like Crysis etc). then I'd recommend the 2600 which is what I have. Its not expensive and its fast.

Cardwise I'm the wrong person to ask cause thats where my system falls down a bit. My 560TI is having issues keeping up. I'll be upgrading it soon.

A SSD is a big addition and as mentioned above you don't need a big one but they make a huge difference.

16 gigs of ram is a must IMO. I had 8 for a long time but it wasn't cutting it.

That covers most of the major points. Get a good well cooled case to and a power supply with enough room for you to grow. Getting a mobo which is relatively (as much is as possible) future proof is also a nice way to go.
    Last edited by Khelendross; 03-10-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

The pricing might be a little off, but it comes to just under 1000 which is $1500.

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/1c...31cc60db32e31c

I'm little more than an amateur and always get someone with experience to check over stuff first... but there's a first attempt. But there's probably plenty I've overlooked.

The processor can be overclocked, but you'd want a better cooler - I've heard it can reach 5GHz... but then you really need a nice way to cool it down (I'm no overclocker!). I added in a disk drive because it's just convenient to have one even if you only use it 3 times a year! You could probably get a cheaper, lower Watt PSU, same with the case. I also probably would go with a cheaper GPU (a 660 perhaps) if I were to buy one right now - You can get something half the price, then upgrade in a couple of years, so you'll have spent the same amount.

But really, don't take my word for it... I'm just an amateur!

Alienware
    No.
    They're like the Apple of pre-built pcs. If you want to pay more for the hardware than it's really worth, go right ahead. Otherwise, buy parts and assemble yourself - alternatively, most big shops have an option that they assemble the parts and then ship it to you.

As for the parts, these provide some of the best performance for decent money.

CPU: 3570k for general use, 3770k if you really need the extra threads. The per core performance is basically the same between these 2 models if clocked at the same speed.

GPU: 660 Ti or 670 GTX

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ahielia View Post
    No.
    They're like the Apple of pre-built pcs. If you want to pay more for the hardware than it's really worth, go right ahead. Otherwise, buy parts and assemble yourself - alternatively, most big shops have an option that they assemble the parts and then ship it to you.

As for the parts, these provide some of the best performance for decent money.

CPU: 3570k for general use, 3770k if you really need the extra threads. The per core performance is basically the same between these 2 models if clocked at the same speed.

GPU: 660 Ti or 670 GTX

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro
    Agree.
    I just put together the following (650 dollars shipped from Newegg):
    I5 3570 (OCd to 4.1 without breaking a sweat)
    Asrock Z77 extreme 4
    GTX 660 (Wanted better but budgets and all that)
    8GB 1600 mem (Forgetting the make atm)

I'm getting 60-70 frames in the open world, 45 avg in TB
    Zone invasions go to the low 20s but visually it's still smooth.

Very happy with this setup.
    Last edited by Nestran; 03-11-2013 at 09:00 AM.

If you want to go pre built gaming and not custom might I suggest Cyberpower. Prices are generally a bit better than Alienware and they are pretty solid. Also if you are intimidated by buying direct from them with all the options you can just go and order from bestbuy online and pick up at your local store. Alienware charges more for what you get. They are a lot better than they used to be but still a bit on the high side.
    Last edited by Galibier; 03-11-2013 at 12:29 PM.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Telaran

As alot of people have said already, systems without at least this is pretty much not worth it:

i5 3570k for gaming, i7 3770k if you want to game/record and stream. Or just need the extra horsepower to render videos, photos, or whatever rendertask.

Aftermarket cpu cooler, like the noctua nh-d14 (I have it, simply the best aircooler on the market)

SSD with atleast 500mbs/250mbs read/write bootingdrive. (trust me, you will not look back)

GTX 660TI/ Radeon HD 7950

All this is the components you want at least. Anything below this is basicly not worth it.

+ Reply to Thread