+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Playstation 4 has been unveiled, and it looks... meh

Default Playstation 4 has been unveiled, and it looks... meh

You can watch the stream here: http://www.gamer.no/artikler/136323/...sloringene-na/

It's a norwegian site, but scroll down to the video and click Play if you want to see the press conference. Or look at one of the other countless sites, like twitch.tv or ps3.ign.com. As I write this, they have unveiled games like Knack (silly robot game, meant mainly for showing off what the console can do), Killzone: Shadow Hunt (looks awesome) and Driveclub (car game for teams.)

Not surprisingly, it will be quite powerful (and probably expensive...) Fun thing is it'll be backwards compatible through cloud save stuff, and it'll focus on "creating open world in all games", or somethhing like that. Heck if I know what that means.

Anyway, don't let me bore you with text. What do you think of it?

How about that... Diablo 3. On PS4. Yay...

Gneeh.. I am not a console person. I have an Xbox360 that I bought because I wanted to play the other titles in the Fable series (they were great fun!) but I'm (slightly sad) to say I haven't touched it much since. I am too used to having a large keyboard with loads of buttons to put stuff on, and many games seem so painfully confined when you have to play them with a controller. And then there's just not many titles that "speak to me" that's out on pretty much any console (and then when there is, they tend to cost half of what the console cost to get in the first place.. what the hell is up with that.)

And yeah, PS4 will probably be very expensive. I couldn't afford the PS3, still can't afford the PS3 and it'll likely be the case with the PS4 too.

Was there any mention of them locking games to the individual machines, and as such prevent re-selling the games when you're done with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    And yeah, PS4 will probably be very expensive. I couldn't afford the PS3, still can't afford the PS3 and it'll likely be the case with the PS4 too.
    That depends. The PS3 was expensive mainly due to the built-in blue-ray player, but those are cheap now. They didn't even show the console itself today (you need to wait for E3 for that), but they did say something abut using a new way to play and distribute games, and that it'll use a cloud function. Basically, the way I saw it, it means you can download a game from the PSN store, then play it before it's done downloading. But if there's no need for much new hardware (other than better CPU, better GPU and all that), it doesn't have to be all that expensive. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Was there any mention of them locking games to the individual machines, and as such prevent re-selling the games when you're done with them?
    Um... no. But they did say they'll use cloud features a lot more, so who knows? My best guess is they'll still use blue-ray discs as the PS3 (even the PSVita sells physical copies), but they'll also focus more on selling digital games. I would think the digital versions will be more attractive (cheaper, more accessible etc), but will be locked to the account like they are on PS3. But again, guess we'll have to wait until E3 in June to see for sure.

The good news is it's apparently coming "Holiday 2013", as in just before Christmas. But in the US only, or world wide?

Oh, and do you have a PSVita? You might want to hold on to it, as it should be possible to use it as a gamepad.

I'm wary of PS Vita cross-platform gaming since they said the PS Vita would do that for new PS3 games. Which it really didn't.

That said, with a new console means developers can focus on such things from the get-go. I'd love to have my 2D isometric sRPGs like Disgaea/Fire Emblem/etc-type games played on-the-go rather than at home.

Looks like they are really pushing user-to-user community interaction. 'Facebook'-like profiles which tells you what their playing currently (like Raptr currently does), but with the added benefit of being able to click a "Join Game" button to join the game itself. Apparently also able to view other people playing games as well? I'd assume there would be some option to allow other users to watch your game, in which case you'd probably need a pretty good internet connection.

Streaming of old games instead of backward compatibility. I'd prefer backwards compatibility, but oh well. As an Aussie I'm unsure how good/bad of a feature that would be for me, especially with data caps.

Being able to play games whilst they are still downloading is nice though.

---

I didn't see the entire stream so will be interesting what games lineup they have. I'm assuming they only mention a few besides Destiny, D3 and Killzone: Shadow Fall.
    I'm assuming we'll get more details about the initial games on release when E3 hits in June.

---

I agree with you SonicBoom - the whole D3 thing is humorous.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    (and then when there is, they tend to cost half of what the console cost to get in the first place.. what the hell is up with that.)

Game makers have to pay Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo money to be able to release games on their console. That's why they can afford to sell consoles at a loss.
    Last edited by Caitie; 02-20-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
    How about that... Diablo 3. On PS4. Yay...
    PS3 and PS4... Not sure why... it's had a generally unfavourable reception. Would have preferred their presence to be the announcement of that secret WoW2 project having something to do with PS4.

As a gamer, I like the excitement that comes from these big announcements and events like E3...

One thing that was slightly disturbing was at about 45mins in (can't be sure) there was a video about the PS4 and connectivity to the world around us (using phones etc to do things in games) and in one part, there was a street scene and everyone was walking along looking down at their phone or ipad-type device. I don't think the PS4 will be the cause of it... but it's the way the western world is going.

If we are headed that way as a society... I'd prefer some kind of glasses (I think google have some in development?) because looking at a device in your hand is just impractical!

Not gonna lie, once they got into the developers talking about the software, I pretty much stopped paying attention and was just laughing at the engrish.
    Beep Beep Ima Jeep@Deepwood http://http://beepbeep.guildlaunch.com
    Asaomar Lv 60 Rogue Tank[Main]-Miniderps Lv 60 Cleric Tank[Alt]-Shederps Lv 60 Mage[Alt]
    Boss Kill videos | My Live Stream
    All T1 Content ClearedGrim Awakening 4/4, Infinity Gate 2/3, Planebreaker Bastion 3/5

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    Streaming of old games instead of backward compatibility. I'd prefer backwards compatibility, but oh well. As an Aussie I'm unsure how good/bad of a feature that would be for me, especially with data caps.
    I could be wrong about the streaming, though. Maybe they let us download old games, like the PS1 and PS2 Classics on PS3. What I do know is that guy said nothing will come between the PS4 and the player, so doesn't that include a crappy internet connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Salamol View Post
    PS3 and PS4... Not sure why... it's had a generally unfavourable reception. Would have preferred their presence to be the announcement of that secret WoW2 project having something to do with PS4.

As a gamer, I like the excitement that comes from these big announcements and events like E3...

One thing that was slightly disturbing was at about 45mins in (can't be sure) there was a video about the PS4 and connectivity to the world around us (using phones etc to do things in games) and in one part, there was a street scene and everyone was walking along looking down at their phone or ipad-type device. I don't think the PS4 will be the cause of it... but it's the way the western world is going.

If we are headed that way as a society... I'd prefer some kind of glasses (I think google have some in development?) because looking at a device in your hand is just impractical!
    I don't think people will literally look down on their iPads and phones all the time. I think it was just to show us how connected we can be if we want to. Public broadband access is getting common in big cities, and places like schools, airports, even shopping malls usually have free internet access. I think they meant we can use that to get in touch with our PS4, so we can stream games, movies etc anywhere (literally) where we have access to the internet, and we might be able to stream some of it (movies etc) to our iPads, phones etc. At least Sony-made smartphones and the EyePad, if that one's real. (google it if you don't know about it.)

Two things I do like a lot about the PS4 is the hardware, though. For one, it has 8GB of some sort of superfast RAM (GDDR, or something. No idea about the technical stuff here, sorry.) That's twice as much as in my desktop computer, and probably a lot faster. But the most interesting part is they have gone away from the Cell-processor from the PS3, and are using a x86 processor-type. Unlike the brand new, difficult to program for Cell-processor, the X86-processor type has been around for thirty years or so and is very easy to program for. That means developers not only have tons more processing power than the PS3, but they also already knows how to use it. That can only be a good thing. Instead of spending years never really figuring out the processor, they can take near full advantage of it right away. And to quite Les from Hardcore Pawn: "How cool is that." Hehe.

They showed a list of developers whom are probably developing for the console already:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/02/the...-on-ps4-games/

Must admit I haven't heard of quite a number of them.

Ah, Rockstar, you little tease. Here's a fun thing: GTA5 will be out later this year, probably around Christmas. The PS4 will be out later this year, probably around Christmas. So why isn't GTA5 for the PS4? Or is it?

Could be for both PS4 and PS3.
    They'd done it before with PS3 games that are available on the PS2 as well.

Meh...is right. Never been into consoles. They'll never beat a proper gaming laptop or desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    They showed a list of developers whom are probably developing for the console already:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/02/the...-on-ps4-games/

Must admit I haven't heard of quite a number of them.
    no Trion Worlds on there.
    Faeblight is the home of Taaltos
    ***Triumph through Loyalty Respect and Perseverance.***

--Taaltos--
    Always willing to make an *** of himself so you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by caitie View Post
    Game makers have to pay Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo money to be able to release games on their console. That's why they can afford to sell consoles at a loss.
    That makes sense. A bit of a shame though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast