+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Left Handed Gamers - A new toy!!

Soulwalker

Default Left Handed Gamers - A new toy!!

Ok we all know that peripheral manufacturers hate left handed gamers, I mean we make up just 10% of the world population so everything is right hand orientated.

Including most gaming keyboards & mouses (not mice!, mice are little furry rodents).

Well up until I installed Windows 8 I have been using an Ideazon Fang ambidextrous keypad to game with. I hold my mouse with my left hand and have all the keys I need on my right. Since Windows 8 no longer supports the fang and Ideazon have not produced a new driver in years, I've had to resort to using a normal keyboard - and I really hate it.

I looked and looked, green with envy at the mouses available for right handers (Naga, i'm looking at you!) and finally found a new Windows 8 compatible game pad.

Dropbox Link

No matter how I tried I could not post an inline image.. so the link is to my public dropbox folder with the images in.

This little beauty is even better than the Fang!, no drivers needed and every key to hand, bliss

Remember, EVERYONE is born right-handed. . .only the best overcome it!

Shadowlander

Definatly looks better than my keybinds to my number pad. (yes leftys are challenged)

Thanks, I will be looking into getting one asap.

i have a left handed friend that uses the keyboard and mouse like right handers..

I write with my left hand, but everything else I do with my right...everything!

Razer announced that they would be releasing a left handed naga sometime this year. No idea when though.
    Biz - L60/P81 Warrior

I'm left handed but I've been using the computer so long right handed that i doesn't bother me. I guess it made me kind of ambidexterous?

I don't even use the mouse while playing anyways...

Neat, but looks awfully cramped. Having the keys all crammed in together like that makes for miskeys (for me) and are uncomfortable after about 20 minutes.

I use the CyberSnipa for my right hand. I like the spread of the keys better.

A left-handed Naga would be awesome though.

Good thread, always nice to see options for us leftys.

I'm left handed. Been using a mouse with my right hand for so long that I'm pretty sure there is no way I could switch to using my left hand.

The SteelSeries Merc Stealth Gaming keyboard is another good alternative.

Soulwalker

Because I've never had the chance to game left handed (As I write with) I've never really felt like I'd rather do it. I did have a chance to play a game that I can't name (Under NDA) that I could play 100% using my Razer Nostromo (Which is a periphial you only use with your left hand) and I enjoyed it very much. I'm looking forward to a left handed Naga, I enjoyed my right-handed one a lot while it lasted (I know what not to do next time I get one!).

That keypad you posted looked really interesting, but like others have said - the buttons look way to close together. I'd like to try the thing out personally, cause it has a lot more buttons than my Nostromo has.

First of all thanks, I'll definitely take a look at that mouse. Right now I'm using my Diablo 3-mouse, and it works quite well. (not a big fan of D3, but the mouse was cool...)

Anyway, I'm left-handed, and to be honest, I don't understand how right-handed people use the keyboard. It makes a lot more sense to me that they have the keys on the right side by default, or even in the middle of the keyboard (using YGHJ to move instead of WASD.) The reason is the Ctrl and Shift keys. As a left-handed, my thumb rests naturally on the Ctrl-button, and it's a small thing to move it up to the Shift-key. That's three whole hotbars right there in an MMO (at least up to the 6th or 7th hotkey). Plus, it lets me easily press Ctrl and Shift at the same time, so I press Ctrl and W, A, S or D to access four menus more (inventory, map etc), and I can even easily press Ctrl + Shift + W, A, S or D to access less used stuff like a dungeon finder (in Rift), the friendslist and so on. Or so you would think, but I actually use it for skills placed to far away to reach normally. This includes potions of various types, resurrecting friends etc. Even chat-macros, if the game allows it (hi, LotRO.)

Now try to do that with the right hand. I honestly can't do it. I would have to use the pinky, but it's not strong enough or flexible enough to quickly each either the Ctrl and Shift - and much less both in the heat of combat! I just can't do it. True, I do use the pinky on my mouse to summon my mount, but it's taken a while, and I usually press with the thumb on the other side of the mouse, too. Plus, as a guitar player, my left thumb is stronger than the right (btw yeah, I play the guitar the normal way.) So anyway why don't right-handed people use the right side of the keyboard? Even the IJKL keys to move, or something? It can't be the number keys only?
    Last edited by SonicBoom; 02-20-2013 at 10:33 PM.

+ Reply to Thread