+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: To Trion: Here is how you do a "State of the Game"

Shadowlander

Default To Trion: Here is how you do a "State of the Game"

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/c...-months-ahead/

Please take notes Trion. After the incredibly short "State of the Game" that we were given on these forums, it was very much a letdown after Scott Hartsman's SotG he gave us last year. Ever since news of the massive Rift team layoffs, my heart has kind of sunk towards Rift lately. It's still my favorite MMO, but the direction the game seems to slowly be heading is quite worrisome. After seeing a letter like the one Guild Wars 2 just got, makes me more interested in giving the game an actual shot.

Yes, I know SOTG letters really dont mean much and its all hype, but Trion, at least make it look like you truly care and are passionate in telling us about the new happenings in Rift in 2013. The letter we got from Daglar was a complete letdown for many long time Rift fans. I want Rift to thrive and do well, but there's been many strange things happening lately in the land of Trion.. hrm.. =(

So you wanted Dag to type up a long winded way of saying "we are going to do exactly what we just did before"?

To be fair it beats saying "so we're gonna release dendrome, but you already knew that"
    0.3/8 ID 2.123/4 PF

Eh, i actually took the time to read that, nearly everything they propose to add and "innovate" in GW2 in the next few months is already in Rift, so your point was ?

So such announcementsshould amount to even MORE "sound and fury signifying nothing."
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Phew! It's been a few days since there was one of these type of numpty posts. Was beginning to suffer the DT's.

Now we just need someone to come in and call people "fanbois" to complete the burgeoning cliche.
    Beahrkub Cleric | Tanreal Rogue | Lauriel Mage | Khetra Warrior | Bearkub Rogue | Bjornn Mage
    <TheSpectrum Order> Faeblight LGBT
    | Rognar Warrior | Bjormir Rogue Deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Antodd View Post
    The letter we got from Daglar was a complete letdown for many long time Rift fans.
    Actions speak louder......

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Eh, i actually took the time to read that, nearly everything they propose to add and "innovate" in GW2 in the next few months is already in Rift, so your point was ?
    Way to spectacularly not get it. The point wasnt about the features in the article as if to imply that GW2 was in some way having more stuff or doing better than Rift, it was about the format and amount of information in the article.

There is nothing inherently wrong with what Dalgar posted, nor is there anything wrong with him not putting out something that size or in depth if he doesnt feel he can. Whats wrong is labelling the post he put out as a "state of the game - year 2" post, because it doesnt say anywhere near enough for what most people would consider a state of the game post.

I'm a long time Rift fan, and I was okay with what Daglar posted.

The first 13 paragraphs of what you linked is not informative, but is instead a back-patting section. I guess it's a cheerleading moment. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't tell you much about what's coming up. As a reader, I am honestly not interested in cheerleading sections, but others may be, so that's presumably why it's present.

The first meaty section is hand-waving. He tells what they are planning, but it's non-specific. It also appears to be mainly about the cash shop (I can't tell -- never played GW2). It's very difficult to tell what they are truly planning because it's very vague. The guild section is also very non-specific. It's not until the WvWvW that you get specific promises -- about transfers. The next section is, again, very non-specific.

The final list at the end of the article is somewhat specific, including things I'd half-way expect the game to do anyway. Things like "improvements to looking for group" is somewhat meaningless for exactly what's planned, but gives one an idea that a problem is recognized. A good thing, yes, but if the system isn't working well, I'd just assume they are going to fix that.

My point is not to pick their information apart. My point is to say -- they didn't really say a lot. I used to write documents for a living, including Q&A on user manuals and the like. I learned long ago how to "fluff up" documents to make them appear meaty, without actually adding meat. That's how the GW2 post comes across to me. It looks like he wrote a lot, but the truth is, there's not a ton of meat to be had.

In fairness, I would have like a bit more from Daglar, but I overall had no issue with what he had. In fact, if Daglar wrote 13 paragraphs about how great Rift is, I'd honestly gloss over them. I'm playing Rift, so I know how great it is for me (personally). Anyway, your mileage may vary and it's not possible to make everyone happy with things like a state-of-the-game post. There will always be folks wanting promises they will never make in such posts. I only wanted to post because as a non-player for GW2, that particular link you provided would not excite me to run out and buy GW2.
    Last edited by Taree; 02-16-2013 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Deleted an extra word that made no sense.

yeah trion, pay attention to what guild wars 2 is doing, and do it!

but no, i think it's a little too late to still be disappointed in the state of the game post.

So Trion should have released a game with little to no end game content, no holy trinity, no really gear grind and then when the game starts doing poorly start doing what Rift did to begin with.

So basically you are saying "Trion go back to 1.X rift!!!" Cool we can agree with that.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

State of the game is not a big deal to me and rifts was ok enough. What id really like is a constant communication and open dialoug with the devs and playerbase.

Right now and i know people hate to hear about this game but wow devs are doing a fantastic job communicating with their players. If you go to www.mmo-champion.com and just look thru the first page you can see what it is supposed to look like.

There is definately alot of room for improvment but i do have to admit that i have seen alot more dev interaction since the start of the year so its getting there.
    Last edited by Scarybadlady; 02-16-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    ...In for a penny in for a pound...

Ascendant

I read the forums to get some insight into the strength and popularity of the game. And the Guild Wars promo along with emails I get regarding STO, Warcraft and SWToR all celebrate their product and entice you to play. Been a long time since I saw Trion make any kind of effort to sell their game, particularly through the forums. And from the activity I see in game.... this really shows.... badly. You kinda get the feeling they have given up on Rift. Dunno what they are trying to do with it. I mean take something like Dimensions which could have been expanded greatly to encourage players to get involved. And to be honest I have no problem with Dimensions being funded from an actual shop so I can buy more stuff. This kind of thing impacts on nobody in game other than to generate interest in Rift. But it just sits there dormant with no enhnacement regarding the basic tools or saving creations. Surely they could spare time to develop this and if they needed the funds just sell expansion packs through the shop for real cash.

The game is such a massive yawn to 60 and I doubt there are many new to the game that could stomach it. So what you have is just the hardcore playing the game and nothing coming up through the system. I say this cus its what I saw from my shard and really there was nothing but nothing happening in game. And yet I am back playing Warcraft and on my original server which has been active like donkeys years, I just had to log cus there were way too many players in the zone I was in and I couldn't quest. And its way above the starter zones. Stormwind always feels busy and I can guarantee getting stuff on the AH. This game is just so empty. Maybe one shard in Europe English and still no chat in game.

And all the forums are interested in is slagging off anyone that complains and 'bots'. Seriously who cares about bots. Its not like fishing stops you from doing anything.

Anyway I read the Guild Wars article and probably I will get the game. Be a long time before I play Rift again seriously. It just got such a drag and the makers are really not interested in promoting it seriously. It's become a niche game for a core hardened few.... generally those that will respond with the usual here. I get a feeling they are all previous EQ gamers.. what ever that was. Never played it.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Ajhal View Post
    I read the forums to get some insight into the strength and popularity of the game. And the Guild Wars promo along with emails I get regarding STO, Warcraft and SWToR all celebrate their product and entice you to play. Been a long time since I saw Trion make any kind of effort to sell their game, particularly through the forums. And from the activity I see in game.... this really shows.... badly. You kinda get the feeling they have given up on Rift. Dunno what they are trying to do with it. I mean take something like Dimensions which could have been expanded greatly to encourage players to get involved. And to be honest I have no problem with Dimensions being funded from an actual shop so I can buy more stuff. This kind of thing impacts on nobody in game other than to generate interest in Rift. But it just sits there dormant with no enhnacement regarding the basic tools or saving creations. Surely they could spare time to develop this and if they needed the funds just sell expansion packs through the shop for real cash.

The game is such a massive yawn to 60 and I doubt there are many new to the game that could stomach it. So what you have is just the hardcore playing the game and nothing coming up through the system. I say this cus its what I saw from my shard and really there was nothing but nothing happening in game. And yet I am back playing Warcraft and on my original server which has been active like donkeys years, I just had to log cus there were way too many players in the zone I was in and I couldn't quest. And its way above the starter zones. Stormwind always feels busy and I can guarantee getting stuff on the AH. This game is just so empty. Maybe one shard in Europe English and still no chat in game.

And all the forums are interested in is slagging off anyone that complains and 'bots'. Seriously who cares about bots. Its not like fishing stops you from doing anything.

Anyway I read the Guild Wars article and probably I will get the game. Be a long time before I play Rift again seriously. It just got such a drag and the makers are really not interested in promoting it seriously. It's become a niche game for a core hardened few.... generally those that will respond with the usual here. I get a feeling they are all previous EQ gamers.. what ever that was. Never played it.
    You may want do to a little more research before you make that move. If you think Rift is boring, you ain't seen nothin yet.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Taree View Post
    My point is not to pick their information apart. My point is to say -- they didn't really say a lot. I used to write documents for a living, including Q&A on user manuals and the like. I learned long ago how to "fluff up" documents to make them appear meaty, without actually adding meat. That's how the GW2 post comes across to me. It looks like he wrote a lot, but the truth is, there's not a ton of meat to be had.
    Politicians have largely perfected the art of implying that they are saying things without actually saying anything. I don't care for it, but a lot of people are comforted by the idea that their leaders have everything under control even if the ship is actually sinking.

Daglar was honest about their capabilities right now. Trion's resources are focused on other games right now, because they don't have a choice. He could make a lot of empty promises about what they plan, intend, would like to do and wish for over the next year. But the fact is that they don't know yet whether they're pouring money down the toilet or whether they'll end up with two or more strong games under their belts. He doesn't promise a lot because he doesn't know what they can deliver, and IMO such honesty is the best that we can hope for.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast