+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 77
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: To Trion: Here is how you do a "State of the Game"

  1. #31
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissMarmalade View Post
    I'm -not- the type of player who GW2 is bested suited for.
    This is absolutely true, and kudos for being smart enough to realize it. Since day 1 the GW2 forums have exploded with WoW kids complaining that GW2 isn't WoW with better graphics.

    Vanilla ice cream doesn't have to be chocolate and vice versa. If you like the way a game plays then play it, if you don't there are other games out there to try. People keep demanding that they turn a vanilla game into something else because they like chocolate instead.

  2. #32
    Plane Touched Polynikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    288

    Default

    You people are missing the point, this isn't a Rift vs GW2 post. It's about how some devs are more professional in their business model than others. Right now the way GW2 is going about their business is creating excitement and good publicity, on the contrary Trion is not doing so much. As of late their level of professionalism and the way they release half assed content is creating a very negative image to the direction and future of the game.

  3. #33
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polynikes View Post
    You people are missing the point, this isn't a Rift vs GW2 post. It's about how some devs are more professional in their business model than others. Right now the way GW2 is going about their business is creating excitement and good publicity, on the contrary Trion is not doing so much. As of late their level of professionalism and the way they release half assed content is creating a very negative image to the direction and future of the game.
    Because GW2 has to. Let's face it, they generated a massive hype train and now they need damage control. Rift, on the other hand, is doing just fine. No hype at the start, no hype as they moved along.
    Despite what the doomers say, Rift is very solid, they don't need to write multi page state of the game posts because we all know they will deliver, as they have in the past.

  4. #34
    Shield of Telara WriteThemWrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    744

    Default

    The gist of GW2 state of the game and most of their updates in general: "Look forward things being added to the game that we advertised were in it at launch; story, pvp rewards, player connectivity, guilds and player community, and endgame rewards."

  5. #35
    Plane Walker Pochi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    452

    Default

    And if you go read the GW2 forums, the players are unhappy about Arenanet's lack of transparency. I guess you can't please all the people all the time and grass is always greener....
    Guild ~ Creative Outlet

  6. #36
    Ascendant Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polynikes View Post
    You people are missing the point, this isn't a Rift vs GW2 post. It's about how some devs are more professional in their business model than others. Right now the way GW2 is going about their business is creating excitement and good publicity,
    AHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAH

    seems someone didn't play gw2. especially after watching the mmo manifesto or reading most of the stuff before release. or even after release the "hype" and what actually ended up in the game.

    seriously, the only people that are still "excited" after anything that comes from arena.net deserve their fate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pochi View Post
    And if you go read the GW2 forums, the players are unhappy about Arenanet's lack of transparency. I guess you can't please all the people all the time and grass is always greener....
    they always want that. doesn't help tho that arena.net's updates especially for dungeons are extremely mindboggling - so no surprise people ask WTF IS GOING THERE?
    Last edited by Gray; 02-16-2013 at 07:07 PM.

  7. #37
    Ascendant Galibier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    10,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polynikes View Post
    You people are missing the point, this isn't a Rift vs GW2 post. It's about how some devs are more professional in their business model than others. Right now the way GW2 is going about their business is creating excitement and good publicity, on the contrary Trion is not doing so much. As of late their level of professionalism and the way they release half assed content is creating a very negative image to the direction and future of the game.
    The point is Poly they are not creating excitment. They are trying to maintain excitment that was already generated based on promises of a launch not kept
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

  8. #38
    Plane Touched Polynikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    The point is Poly they are not creating excitment. They are trying to maintain excitment that was already generated based on promises of a launch not kept
    What's Trion doing? I do enjoy both games so I cycle between them. Dungeons and raids with Rift, exploration and cool combat with GW2.

  9. #39
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,581

    Default

    I agree with the OP. GW2's state of the game was excellent and Rift's was, well, terrible.

    As for those claiming that GW2 is doing poorly, please provide your evidence to support this claim. GW2 is not under a subscription model. You simply buy the game and that's it. They sold way more than enough copies of the game to meet their needs and I guarantee their first expansion will do the same. GW2 is doing just fine - let's not kid ourselves.
    Moved on from Rift due to: Rift's PvP being a mindless, skilless zerg that has been and will continue to be perpetuated and reinforced :: A horribly optimized engine :: My personal distaste for F2P (already heading down the P2W path) after giving it a fair shake. Rift is an exceptional MMO by an overachieving development team that unfortunately is ruined by a few personally show-stopping issues.

  10. #40
    Ascendant Galibier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    10,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polynikes View Post
    What's Trion doing? I do enjoy both games so I cycle between them. Dungeons and raids with Rift, exploration and cool combat with GW2.
    This is the bit that kills me actually. If you look at what Trion is doing they are moving away from where they were in early/mid 1.X. GW2 under pressure from players in moving towards where Rift was early mid 1.X.

    I think in this world of fast dev cycles and instant communication NO developement house has a set of testicles anymore.

    So I was not defending Trion in the least. I just do not think ArenaNet is something to aspire to either is all. You can say everyone is fffed up you know...there does NOT have to be a "good guy."
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

  11. #41
    Rift Disciple Sibylla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
    I agree with the OP. GW2's state of the game was excellent and Rift's was, well, terrible.

    As for those claiming that GW2 is doing poorly, please provide your evidence to support this claim. GW2 is not under a subscription model. You simply buy the game and that's it. They sold way more than enough copies of the game to meet their needs and I guarantee their first expansion will do the same. GW2 is doing just fine - let's not kid ourselves.
    It's all in perception and eye of the beholder, GW2 had a mass exodus of players there is no denying that however since there are no sub fews you cannot get a accurate read on how many players they have. What leads you to believe they will sell 2-3 mill expansions when it occurs? The evidence points to the contrary. They also need people to use the cash shop but with a significantly less active player base that is not happening and now will be charging for transfers which they should've done before server hopping destroyed competitive WvW.

    Besides 70% of the time you just slam Rift and complain but try to use the pretense you just want what's good for the game.

    Yet you are horrible to people in WFs being immature and raging. How can anyone take you seriously I do not know, as your actions dictate how you are preceived, maybe you are a swell guy however constant complaining and being a general dbag is counter intuitive to what you claim to be trying to do.

  12. #42
    Ascendant Galibier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    10,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sibylla View Post
    It's all in perception and eye of the beholder, GW2 had a mass exodus of players there is no denying that however since there are no sub fews you cannot get a accurate read on how many players they have.
    Pretty much this...

    The way you guage the success of a game, to an extent is by how much and how fast they start implementing changes to their original concept. The more changes a game goes through is usually a good indication it is not hitting targets because if it was hitting targets there would not be the need for such changes.

    On that metric one could argue that GW2 at best is being as success as Rift, one could even argue less successful. People have to remember different games have different definitions of success. If you are a f2p game it doesn't matter if you have 1 BILLION accounts if people are not buying stuff from the store. If you are a subscription based game but have a 100% stable recurring sub rate in "only" the hundreds of thousands this can be a good thing.

    People think fansite buzz = business world/Bloomberg success and this is not the case.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

  13. #43
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WriteThemWrong View Post
    The gist of GW2 state of the game and most of their updates in general: "Look forward things being added to the game that we advertised were in it at launch; story, pvp rewards, player connectivity, guilds and player community, and endgame rewards."
    Please oh please tell me you do know that Trions 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 patches all consists of things that should have been in Storm Legion's launch right?

    Trion promised The Dendrome and Regulos raid all at SL's launch and instead we received a half-finished expansion. However we got endgame zones that aren't even finished and they are just slowly patching the rest of the stuff in with 2.2 and 2.3 with their smaller rift team now due to layoffs. Land is not all well in the land of Trion.

  14. #44
    Ascendant Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
    I agree with the OP. GW2's state of the game was excellent and Rift's was, well, terrible.

    As for those claiming that GW2 is doing poorly, please provide your evidence to support this claim.
    funny that one one said it did, just that it's a bad mmo. just like cod, breaks sales records, but is as a whole is mediocre.

    just like the state of the game, hot PR air is hot PR air, but I can tell you this: even if you have nothing to say, it's still looks better to put it in 5 sentences instead of 1. quantity over quality. still doesn't make it better.

    then again, I just saw who I quoted mid post. maybe someone else finds this post useful.

  15. #45
    Rift Chaser Taree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    just like the state of the game, hot PR air is hot PR air, but I can tell you this: even if you have nothing to say, it's still looks better to put it in 5 sentences instead of 1. quantity over quality. still doesn't make it better.
    I must be one of the funny ones. I like just the meat of the post. Leave all the fluff out; it just gets in my way. But I suppose it might create a better "game face" to have the fluff.

    Someone mentioned that GW2 is promoting itself well. Oddly enough, the link from the OP is the first I've even visited the GW2 website. I've never seen (or noticed) any advertisements. But my reason for not being interested in GW2 may be because my hubby bought it, and doesn't really like it much. He plays because there are parts he likes. But overall, it's just a ho-hum experience for him. Reading the GW2 state-of-the-game address felt like it lined right up with the ho-hummness I've been listening to. Haha.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts