+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: So what upcoming MMO is the new hotness?

Rift Master

Default So what upcoming MMO is the new hotness?

Not because I think Rift is dying, but because I'm always interested in trying out new games; my attention span fluctuates a lot and I like to experiment with different games. SWTOR was a flop, GW2 didn't live up to the hype, so what's the new ultra MMO that's going to "kill" everything else (sarcasm)?

ESO? EQ Next (that might be cool; I've heard good things about EQ2 but it's way too late to start playing that game)? Something else? So far the only games I've repeatedly played are WoW and now Rift; I play LOTRO every so often but for some reason I just can't sit down to play it extensively (despite being a huge Lord of the Rings fan).

What upcoming MMO are you interested in, and why?

Archeage and ESO.

I'm very interested in ArcheAge because most of the gameplay is based on the game being open world. very few instances and their only for 3-5 people. The encounters are hidden away in raids, the open world bosses actually roam the world and are so difficult it takes armies or organized players to pull of a kill. meaning the world will feel much more alive, people will actually traverse the land instead of logging on and everyone hanging out in their own little instance.

Now my second reason I look forward to it is the large scale warfare. Guild vs guild, war that utilizes siege engines, pvp that actually takes strategy and skill. I also heard Archeage has arenas with rankings. the kind of pvp/open world stuff Rift is severely lacking that Trion failed to deliver.

but then again both of those games could fail horribly

I thought I might add my sources are the official websites and fansite forum info from closed beta
    Last edited by Delmlord; 02-05-2013 at 05:14 AM. Reason: stuff
    Rehashed, reskinned content =/= Exciting new content
    Retired from Rift thanks to Square E getting their stuff together

What Delmlord said. Those are the two on the horizon, ESO has opened up registration for the closed beta's, no world or Archeage yet, but I am sure Trion will let us all know when that happens

If Scott Hartsman goes back to SOE/EQ3 I am very interested in that product.
    Faeblight is the home of Taaltos
    ***Triumph through Loyalty Respect and Perseverance.***

--Taaltos--
    Always willing to make an *** of himself so you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Taaltos View Post
    If Scott Hartsman goes back to SOE/EQ3 I am very interested in that product.
    A friend of my was always raving about that and when he was coming to visit me I said I would give it a go, we always like to start new games with a few beers together, I know these are MMO's but I always found them more fun when there were 2 or 3 of us in the same room having a laugh hehe.

Anyway..... that was when Sony had the huge hack and I couldn't get on to do anything... so I introduced him to Rift instead hehe.

But, saying that, EQNext (isn't it?) would be one to look for as theoretically it could be one heck of a game given it's background and developments in the genre.

TESO and ArcheAge... but I'm not overly enthused about either :P

I just feel TESO will be another SWTOR... it'll have some decent content, but will sell mainly because of the IP. I'll keep an eye on it... to me the gameplay in SWTOR put me off long before I found out much else about it. It had Rift as a direct competitor, and I was just getting into raiding in the months before... so I was having a blast!

ArcheAge looks interesting... the asian style does put me off a little... and the gameplay videos that I've seen have been at different extremes. It looks like a beautiful environment, but the combat looks dull. It has some awesome ideas but I sense there will be a whole ton of issues to go with them.

I'm spending most of my time in GW2 right now, approaching 1000 hours and I'm really impressed with the speed of the updates. New stuff is added literally every month which is great for an MMO with no subscription fee. It's not new, but I really see it as one of the big hitters of 2013... so if you have it, log in every few months to catch up on what you've missed

EQ Next. Nothing until then looks promising, EQ Next just because of the name. There's no information out there about it, hopefully it's more like prior EQ games and gets away from the current trend in MMOs where things are too dumbed down.

I see little difference between Diablo 3 and most new MMOs on the horizon.
    Last edited by Mayi; 02-05-2013 at 03:48 PM.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Plane Walker

It'd be nice if an MMO launched that had a target audience of people in their mid-30s, that played MUDS, ultima, EQ..people that were used to thinking and putting in effort into games..I don't think it'll happen, but it'd be nice.

The ones im keeping my eye out on is ESO, FF14:2 and Cabal 2.

Maybe B&S but god only knows when that is coming out and im pretty much sick of NCSoft and NCWest.

Black Desert Online looks pretty interesting but it's probably a long way off for an English release.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXCiN1J2JI4
    At 5:40+ ish for what looks like castle siege warfare.
    Surprised for a Korean game that the women don't look like they're all wearing bikini armor.

BLESS looks interesting too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZtatiwNs18
    Again, large-scale siege warfare.

Kingdom Under Fire II has an interesting Dynasty Warriors-like mass-mobs, large-scale battles concept to it, where you level up yourself as well as your own army which you can command; but I doubt most people could run the game properly and lag will probably be the norm if it gets an international release.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzBcetprX6o
    Apparently a June 2013 release, although it has been pushed back many times. A lot of people just think it is too ambitious and will probably die out simply due to lag and fps issues. Still, keeping tabs on it. Technology advances in leaps and bounds after all and maybe it could work.

They're Korean MMOs though so I'd have to try out an open beta or something before I make judgment on them. A lot of the new MMOs seem to be focused on large-scale siege warfare like Guild Wars 2, whilst adding new concepts like rideable elephants/etc.

Rift Disciple

I'm certainly looking forward to TESO because I like the Elder Scrolls games a lot and think there could be a lot of potential for an MMO. I am also looking forward to EQNext because it's supposed to be more like the original EQ(nostalgia) and not that pile of garbage that was EQ2. Can't say that I will stick with either until I play them of course. But I am certainly going to try them.
    Last edited by Raltar; 02-06-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Defiance, Neverwinter, FF14 and Age of Wushu in the near future (months). ArcheAge, EQ:Next, TESO, The Repopulation, Black Desert Online is further off (year(s)).
    Feel free to visit dimension: Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey on Icewatch. Video tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebasiz View Post
    It'd be nice if an MMO launched that had a target audience of people in their mid-30s, that played MUDS, ultima, EQ..people that were used to thinking and putting in effort into games..I don't think it'll happen, but it'd be nice.
    I think it's possible. They'd have to walk a fine line between old style games while incorporating new innovations in the industry.

I don't think you can get away from instancing for raiding, but you can for dungeons. I see no reason to instance dungeons at all, all it does it dumb down the game and leads to 'dailies' limiting what players can do with their time.

For raiding, maybe a couple of open world bosses but it would have to be heavily instanced.

One big difference between EQ and now is videos and strategy guides. In the day no one shared strategies, sharing strats was enough to get you gkicked, now you can google how to kill a boss before you've seen him. Can't fault devs for changes in the community.
    I rite a gooded guide for rouges.

NB-Sin Guide - http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-sin-spec.html

Sword of Telara

Rift Master

After EQ1 and EQ2 iam done with SOE games and after Aion, Gw, L2 and whatnot iam also done with all this korean crap games. So ESO - if this is not what iam looking for ill start with UO again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast