+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Guild Wars 2 Reaches 3 Million Sales

Default Guild Wars 2 Reaches 3 Million Sales

A great achievement for an MMO! New blog post also sets out plans for 2013: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/c...-months-ahead/

Ascendant

as its b2p and no subscription its difficult to judge how great the sells are actually. but arena net will be satisfied ^^

selling a million copies pre release just by offering beta-access to prebuyers, was a smart move
    Last edited by Antigonos; 01-15-2013 at 07:01 AM.

Showing flat sales is pretty meaningless, especially after the holiday season. I am waiting for the concurrent user numbers that will never come.
    "I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won."

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by livnthedream View Post
    Showing flat sales is pretty meaningless, especially after the holiday season. I am waiting for the concurrent user numbers that will never come.
    well does arenanet care? the less play the less cost they have actually ^^

I'd be playing it, if there was a pure healing class. The game is pretty fun, but I need to play a healer!
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Misun View Post
    I'd be playing it, if there was a pure healing class. The game is pretty fun, but I need to play a healer!
    This really!
    Without a proper method of heals.. a possibly great game degenerates at the end into simply a zerg fest to get anything done efficiently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayeth View Post
    Defiants evil soul suckers
    Elegance - 60 rogue
    Faeblight

Anyone want to buy my SLIGHTLY used copy of Guild Wars 2? I paid $70 for it, tried to get into it, and never could.

I'll stick with Rift.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos View Post
    well does arenanet care? the less play the less cost they have actually ^^
    They have to keep enough of a crowd around to continue to spend money in the store (or merely nerf drops again ) and to buy the upcoming expansions. Q1 sales will be boosted by christmas, Q2 will be the better gauge of where the game actually is.

They have to keep enough of a crowd around to continue to spend money in the store (or merely nerf drops again ) and to buy the upcoming expansions. Q1 sales will be boosted by christmas, Q2 will be the better gauge of where the game actually is.
    I don't imagine the sales will increase much more... after all, it took 4 months to go from 2-3 million. It's been difficult to find the game on offer anywhere, even now... so I'd imagine most of those sales have been at/around the full $60. If they continue adding content at a decent pace, people will keep coming back, even if it's just to take a quick look.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamol View Post
    I don't imagine the sales will increase much more... after all, it took 4 months to go from 2-3 million. It's been difficult to find the game on offer anywhere, even now... so I'd imagine most of those sales have been at/around the full $60. If they continue adding content at a decent pace, people will keep coming back, even if it's just to take a quick look.
    With the revenue model they chose they really need to keep players playing, as players playing generally means they are spending money in the store. Box sales for the most part are not enough to keep a game going on its own purely because the middlemen end up eating so much of it (publisher/studio generally only get 30% or so of that revenue) and players/community does a whole lot more to keep players engaged and playing than content does. Players peeking in every patch for a week does **** all for Anets profit margins unless that patch is effectively dlc, which is not the path they have taken so far, hence why Q2 is going to be the most reasonable measure of its success or failure financially.

With the revenue model they chose they really need to keep players playing, as players playing generally means they are spending money in the store. Box sales for the most part are not enough to keep a game going on its own purely because the middlemen end up eating so much of it (publisher/studio generally only get 30% or so of that revenue) and players/community does a whole lot more to keep players engaged and playing than content does. Players peeking in every patch for a week does **** all for Anets profit margins unless that patch is effectively dlc, which is not the path they have taken so far, hence why Q2 is going to be the most reasonable measure of its success or failure financially.
    Most games with continued development need to keep the money rolling in. The updates will keep players entertained, and a small percentage of those will spend money. Likewise the updates will get people who had taken a break logging back in to check out the new zones/events etc. and a small percentage of those will again spend money.

Personally, I probably won't ever buy gems... but I know plenty of people that have done, and regularly do spend (in my opinion) far too much, some have spent hundreds of dollars. GW2 wouldn't have 3 million paying subs at this stage... nor would it have sold so many copies if it had a sub. Given that ArenaNet were anticipating only 1 million sales at launch, I don't have any concerns on a financial basis. They're backed by NCSoft after all, so there's a wealth of money to fall back on.

Would be nice to see it officially, but I'd bet on it being successful!
    Last edited by Salamol; 01-15-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Given what ncsoft did to CoH recently, I would not bet on anything there. It is not enough that a game be profitable; it has to meet other unspecified requirements or they might shut it down.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Given what ncsoft did to CoH recently, I would not bet on anything there. It is not enough that a game be profitable; it has to meet other unspecified requirements or they might shut it down.
    CoH had 8 years. I don't expect to be still playing any game I'm playing now in 8 years (except perhaps minecraft :P) - There's a decent article on it here: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...le-or-Not.html

If the profit margin was shrinking, it would make business sense to shut up shop before it starts losing money. I worry most about GW1... it's one of my favourite games of all time, and it would suck to see it go, even if I don't play it anymore.

GW2 has probably seen an income of $180m before gem sales. I'd imagine Rift has seen a similar amount over the last 2 years (if we say a million sales and a generous 500k sub average)... although Trion take pretty much all of their earnings home with them, ArenaNet has to funnel some of theirs to NCSoft.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamol4118110
    GW2 has probably seen an income of $180m before gem sales.
    We won't know until actual financial reports are in, but that number is rather horribly wrong. That number would have a chance of being correct if 95% or better were sold through digital distribution off their own website, but that is nowhere near remotely possible. Generally (it depends on the exact contracts with distribution) a company only gets upwards of 30% of box price. A more realistic number is $100m, but even that is a little on the high side.

This is why the q2 financials are going to be the absolute lynchpin of calling it a success or not. At best they have really covered initial investment (numbers would indicate roughly a $70m budget, though that doesn't take into account software licenses, general expenses, etc) $30m is a rather small return on investment. The initial spike that we are going to see of q1 with people shelling out some extra for bag space, some gold to get established etc will not hold true. Even making an assumption of 30% retention (industry average) they still need to maintain an average revenue per user of roughly $17 per month just to keep the lights on.

This is not doom and gloom at all, its very rough estimates based on imperfect data. They are still hiring (in many positions, some of them fairly key) and I do not see a CoH scenario quite yet, but I have a hard time believing that the outlook is all super rainbows either.
    Last edited by livnthedream; 01-16-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Some awesome content releases at GW2 it's getting better and better.

http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/feature...ame=473&ismb=1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast