+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: To stop the "I am leet can't catch me"

Default To stop the "I am leet can't catch me"

Getting kinda annoyed by the peeps saying "can't catch me I use dynamic IP" or "proxy" what ever....ways to ban that do not involve IP address. These are more complicated than they sound below, I am keeping it simple so everyone can understand.

IP range. IP addresses are geographic in nature. As such if a company wants they can say "well idiot lives in Anytown USA ban that IP range."

MAC address. You can set it up so that a specific MAC address can not access.

Cookies. You can have your system set up to manually or using an automated send of a cookie to the offending system. Then when that cookie is detected they are not allowed access (this one is most commonly used on web sites.)

You can also block Proxy servers on their own (which is why Proxy servers may be the worst way to avoid a ban). Not only are their black lists on the web for these BUT a working knowledge of how IP addresses are assigned and some personal research actually lets you identify them (the better method because the black lists are often incomplete and about 30% of proxy servers change their addresses each day). There are even security companies that sell software specifically designed to block proxy servers.

In then end if any company wants to they can block anyone who is not a dedicated hacker. All it takes is the time and effort (and thus money) to achieve it.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

So what was the point of this post?

Besides making yourself feel superior, of course.

reality is people are ill informed and its super easy to track and ban accounts.
    theyre not going to tell you how or why they do it that way tho
    Last edited by Pixel Monkey; 01-12-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    who took my names!

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post

There have been a boat load of threads by people claiming that they can bot, or troll or whatever and they will not and can not be punished because "I use dynamic IP" or "try it when I use a proxy server."

I am getting sick and tired of these people and their piss poor attitudes that are supported by a general lack of knowledge on how systems work. Do I feel superior? To those trolls....absolutely. To the majority of our community that are nice civilized people....not at all.

As you were one of the people proposing the use of one of these methods on such a thread, I think the reason of your response here is pretty obvious and my thread has actually done it's job. It educated you in how those methods will not work if Trion really wants to ban you. Spreading knowledge is not being superior and learning something is not being inferior.
    Last edited by Galibier; 01-12-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post

He/she posted it because there was a troll baby/child posting earlier that said something like his daddy owned an Internet company and could change his IP easily to avoid detection ... blah blah...very naive anyway!

i wldnt worry theyre full of kitten
    if they wernt *****slapped they would not be making posts at all
    they would be in game continuing
    who took my names!

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicUniverse View Post
    He/she posted it because there was a troll baby/child posting earlier that said something like his daddy owned an Internet company and could change his IP easily to avoid detection ... blah blah...very naive anyway!
    And valnak said this on that thread...

What if he has a dynamic IP or is using a proxy?
    So seems like he/she is being a little sensitive and feels like they got called out. Wasn't intended. I didn't even connect the name until they posted here. I just have a habit of checking past posts of people who troll my threads.

Just ban the account. Delete it. Like it never existed.
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

Oh you can do that but then u can do this...

Example EQ2...LdL. there was a guy who would say the most insane stuff in level chat. Finally he went to far and referenced a WWII case of genocide. They killed his account and blocked stuff via the subscription system. He recreated the account using false info and game cards.

Seriously? I find you just as if not even more childish then the person who was claiming he cant be caught for posting this dribble...
    Please close this thread, as there is really no need for this type of posting...

Champion of Telara

Blocking IPs is always the first suggestion that people give for anything. Honestly, for anyone knowledgeable, blocking IPs is rarely effective. And there's really nothing that can stop someone determined to 'cause trouble' without causing more inconvenience with the general population.

Even many of the other suggestions aren't complete. A simple VPN while complicated for the average user will completely negate almost almost any sort of IP blocking. And there's never a shortage of companies offering those kind of services. Proxies as well. While blocking public proxies is usually easier, there are many more private ones. Some which change IPs constantly/daily, like you said. And realistically all that would do is screw legit users more then the players that they are targeting. There are many places with censorship and these are the only way they're able to enjoy the freedom that most of us take for granted. Even if it isn't about censorship, there are still ISPs which proxy traffic.

MAC addresses aren't a big deal either. Many add on cards now allow you to change them. Along with wireless adapters. Again, this falls back to knowledge. The ones who know, these restrictions does nothing, while the average player can not.

If you want them to disallow 'troubled' CC addresses from subscribing. They can get disposable CC numbers or disposable/prepaid CC cards. But don't forget, they can just as easily contact the CC company and add in as many alternative addresses as they allow. So even preventing certain CC/Addresses from access can be easily side stepped. Since CC verification will pass based on that info and the company wouldn't even know they are the same.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

Blocking peoples machines via mac address won't work well either... virtual machines (for example) can be utilized to spoof, modify and do other such actions.

Long story short, a computer gaming company will ALWAYS be playing cat-n-mouse with account bans/suspensions, no matter what method is utilized.
    Last edited by bctrainers; 01-12-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: My engrish is good today!
    --BC

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    I am getting sick and tired of these people and their piss poor attitudes that are supported by a general lack of knowledge on how systems work.
    Dude, they are doing it for exactly that reason. And you are letting them win.

Cant ban stupidity. They will create another account.

Quote Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
    I am getting sick and tired of these people and their piss poor attitudes that are supported by a general lack of knowledge on how systems work. Do I feel superior? To those trolls....absolutely.
    Somebody got trolled.
    Rehashed, reskinned content =/= Exciting new content
    Retired from Rift thanks to Square E getting their stuff together

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast