+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: APB the shortest MMO in History.

I had a feeling it would never take off due to the structure but all the best to RTW and it's community

RIP APB, but hey, there's always GTA
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1282&dateline=1279040  725

Too bad, looked like a cool idea.

Holy cow. That's very surprising to read. The game had a lot of potential. What a shame.

that's what happens when you bit the hand that feeds, rush your product, and decide to sell a alpha level game to the public then tell them you're going to fix everything after relase.

I erally appreciated the idea but they should have just stayed under Microsoft and worked on Crackdown 2. Or, at the very least they should have postponed the release for another 4 to 6 months.
    Shagroth, GM of Myth

a Belmont Guardian Guild
    http://www.Myth-Guild.net

Arrow

Shocking.

"Auto Assault - 507 days
    Tabula Rasa - 487 days
    Fury - 294 days
    Seed - 149 days

and now APB - 79 days"

HAHAHAhahaha...

WOW. I can't believe that bombed so hard. I heard the game had some pretty innovative features that are actually going to be used in Call of Duty: Black Ops. I never played it myself, but it's sad to see a community die so quickly.

It's always sad to heare news like that. What's the likely fallout for other MMO's under development? Anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Fynroh View Post
    It's always sad to heare news like that. What's the likely fallout for other MMO's under development? Anything?
    Probably more investors unwilling to put money into anything mmo related that isnt fantasy setting based (sci-fi fantasy still comes under this I think so its semi safe aslong as its in a style most would be familiar with). Fantasy setting mmo games take up around 95% of market share i would take a guess at, investors would say its for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by IDDQD View Post
    Shocking.

"Auto Assault - 507 days
    Tabula Rasa - 487 days
    Fury - 294 days
    Seed - 149 days

and now APB - 79 days"

HAHAHAhahaha...
    Heh. I never even knew Seed got released. I remember reading about it years ago, thinking it sounded interesting. Who knows what kind of a trainwreck the nonstandard gameplay turned out to be,however. :P

"That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die."
    --H.P. Lovecraft

Maybe it failed because nobody over 15 wants to play shooters anymore ,they are all busy in MW ,BFBC2 ; also the kids couldnt find mommy's credit card to pay for the game .
    Deceneu - Xanadu
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/profile/1898430
    eat good-look good;look good-play good;play good-paid good;paid good-eat good

I do not agree with Dec, I tested for this game a long time and the community was solid, even a good part of the community had RP ties so in that regard it was more a MMO than a shooter. That beeing said APB was a mess, half of the feedback got awners: "we technacally can't do that". Over the course of weeks performance didn't go up but instead went down, untill they day they launched.

It's a shame because the game really had potential but in the end I think they did not have the solid base in working order and by the time they figured that out it was to late in development to get it fixed.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Yeah that game had massive amounts of issues and the number one issues was because they had a broken matchmaking system which really made me stop playing after playing for 25 hours of my game time (the give you 48) and it did have a lot of potential.
    I mean the matchmaking system and the massive imbalance of the factions made a lot of people quit.

Examples of matchmaking brokenness? Me and a couple of criminals join in a group and they match us 2 enforcers that has fully upgraded T2 weapons and we get massacred. Only person that has most of the crappy T1 weps was me with the highest threat level and I was only able to take a few of them down at a time and it resulted into griefing when same pair was dispatched at us again and again which the group was dissolved.

Imbalance of factions: Criminals are only for the hardcore players because you can not be afk in the game because apparently the game punishes you as a criminal for not continually questing. I even had a bullet put into my head when I was looking through weapons to buy from my agent and apparently warrants won't show through the wep selection screen. Agents had an easy time because you never had to worry about someone coming after you and if you get 5 stars (yes like GTA) you can flag everyone for pvp and kill anyone which for enforcers it punished you if you attacked another enforcer but for criminals fair game.

Yeah this game had serious issues and the sad part is the fundamental flaw is that there is a reason in RL criminals have a hard time compared to cops and this games shows it. Quite disappointed that I believed in the hype and wasted $50 but it happens at least now I no longer pre-order games unless I get access to the beta or know the developers rep. At least these two examples will give you insight on why APB failed like it did and some more play testing could have shown them these fundamental design flaws.

The only thing I enjoyed most was the car chases that I had until a week or two later when everyone started riding around in there those huge trucks which forced me only to jack armored cars to even stand a chance to win and plus the music selection they had.
    Last edited by Tomoyuki; 09-19-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Add an enjoyable part of the game

Yeah I heard the imbalance in the game was pretty bad. Probably would have been better if it was just an FPS instead of trying to be an MMO. A Persistent world FPS that doesn't get super imbalanced because of higher level guns would be fun. I mean in MW you get a higher level and get better and different weapons, but someone at level one still can be a reasonable threat. They should have created APB to be more shooter FPS balanced than RPG balanced. Alas, another potentially great MMO down the drain.
    Video of best Mage spec in action! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast