+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Military Strategy in RTS games

Default Military Strategy in RTS games

Hey hope you're all doing good,

So lets get down to business:
    Steam Sale is on and I picked up a couple Strategy games. One of them was from the Total War series. Now, I have never played any of the Total war series and I find it much harder than the usual RTS games I play (SC2, C&C). I feel like this total war game could benfit from using proper military tactics in the battles.
    But there-in lies the rub.
    I am:
    A) Terrible at strategy games in general
    B) Have the leadership/commander skills of a dead potato (that's right a DEAD potato).

So would anyone reccomend perhaps a website, or a book or something I could read that would improve my knowlege on military tactics/strategies. I really would like to improve my skill in these sorts of games because I find them lots of fun, but it can also be frustrating to be annihilated by the AI on "Super easy you-kill-anything-by-looking-at-it mode"

I also find military tactics and strategies and stuff very interesting but have never thought to read up on it before.

It could also help in other games maybe? To know all these maneuvers (games like BF3 or Planetside 2).
    Last edited by Ronaldspiers; 12-23-2012 at 01:14 PM.

I'm a long time fan of total war games. Go to this site for all your needs http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php

They announced Rome Total War 2 which is coming in 2013 I am very excited as its one of my favorite time periods politically and military. It is a complex game so be prepared to do a lot of research and in the process learn some great history.
    Last edited by Polynikes; 12-23-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Which Total War game have you got?
    Because tactics are very different between Shogun 2 and Empire for instance, one is melee centric and the other revolves around firearms and cannons.
    Nope.

MNM
    Prophet of Telara

I'd like help on all kinds of them actually, I usually lose in the tutorial of these things.

I'm much more familiar with with melee based ones since in later games I've started just auto-resolving every conflict.

Positioning is very important for unit effectiveness so make sure to determine where you can get a height advantage, choke points etc.

You can defeat an army much stronger than yours if you have a good solid wall of 4 units of spearmen holding the end of a bridge for instance, then you can use Archers to fire over the top and cavalry to charge down any units that attempt to swim across the river.

In open battles try to get your Archers on top of hills if possible since it improves their range and makes it harder for enemies to shoot back or it takes them longer to climb up to get them.

I'm a big fan of bringing 2-3 units of Heavy Cavalry + my General to each battle so I can flank and then charge enemy formations. Generally I engage my line of melee infantry with the opponents line while trying to make sure I don't get encircled, then I pick the weaker side and hammer it with massed heavy cavalry, sometimes both sides if I brought more than 3 units. The aim to cause large numbers of casualties quickly, this can cause the enemy to panic, particularly if it is a cheap, weak unit. This can create a knock-on effect and make nearby enemies more likely to panic and flee as well, a well timed cavalry charge can rout an entire army. If only the one unit gets destroyed then don't worry, you can then just run your cavalry out a bit and then charge them back into the next unit along.

But the most effective ways to win battles are always having more and better units than the enemy and the key to that is having the best economy. You can generally have the highest income in any of the Total War games, while playing as most factions, within 10-20 turns. Once you have the most money, you can afford better troops and more armies to expand ever faster. To save money always make sure your soldiers are doing something, there's no point having 3 swordsmen sitting in a happy province, get them to the front asap and if needed use militia for garrison duty, most towns can usually hold a number with no upkeep cost.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Which Total War game have you got?
    Because tactics are very different between Shogun 2 and Empire for instance, one is melee centric and the other revolves around firearms and cannons.
    It's Napoleon: Total war which has a lot of guns in it I think. It's also a cool time period and I didnt realise the game is good for learning too :P

Quote Originally Posted by Polynikes View Post
    Go to this site for all your needs http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php
    Thanks, that site seems to have some decent guides on it

+ Reply to Thread