+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: The term "gamer girl".

Default The term "gamer girl".

I've seen the discussion brought up on a few other social networks, I'm interested in everybody elses opinions on the matter here.

Please note this is not a thread to discuss gamer girls, but the term itself. No flaming/trolling of any person or people will be tolerated.

What do you think about the term "gamer girls"?
    I've seen both sides argued and at the end of the day, my honest opinion is this: The term "gamer girl" bothers me as about as much as "mailman" or "policeman" does.

If you CBA to look for what all the fuss is about, I'll sum it up:

Against using Gamer Girl:
    People think when using the "Gamer Girl" title, you're either a poser(as in using video games for just the image purely) or trying to prove what a special snowflake you are. Women often cry of sexism, and then act like floozies in a predominantly male medium and flaunt how they're 'girl gamers', which irritates others.

For using Gamer Girl:
    If you're using the term 'gamer girl', more power to you. If you're a poser, cool, if not, cool. I mean, men still to this day make a big deal about a girl showing up in-game or on a forum via PMs, so it's no wonder that some women would play it for attention. It's not really fair that men can constantly shove their masculinity towards us in video games (whether it be jokes about their genitals or not) but referring to yourself as a "gamer girl" is taboo. Not to mention, a lot of men talk about how "girl gamers are sexy", and then cry foul when a woman refers to herself as a 'gamer girl'.

The above are just summarized opinions for and against the term 'gamer girl' from random people. None of it is fact.

So what are your opinions on the matter?
    Please try to keep it civil and polite. If something somebody says offends you, confront them in PMs or tell a Mod or something.
    Last edited by Parfaite; 12-08-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Your friendly hipster.
    http://rainygameslol.tumblr.com/

Plane Touched

The problem is that the "girl" part is unnecessary, just like calling a male nurse a "male nurse" instead of just a "nurse". Lets imagine 2 conversations.

Male : Hey, do you play videogames?
    Female : Yes, I'm a gamer.

Male : Hey, do you play videogames?
    Female : Yes, I'm a gamer girl / Yes, I'm a girl gamer.

There is no difference in the essential information being sent (the answer to the question) between the two conversations, except it could be telling whether on not the female in the second conversation is trying to draw some attention to the fact that she is a female that likes to play videogames. Lets look at 2 other conversations.

Female : Hey, what do you do for a living?
    Male : Oh, I'm a nurse.

Female : Hey, what do you do for a living?
    Male : Oh, I'm a male nurse.

Again there is no difference in the essential information being sent, other than you might draw the conclusion that the male is trying to draw attention to the fact that he is a man in an occupation that has historically been filled almost exclusively by women.

Personally, I don't mind people using the phrase "girl gamer" or "gamer girl", but using it tells me that you like being the "special snowflake" as you put it.

Ascendant

Hmm, "gamer girl" where you can see this term used? Because its first time I see it, I know, troll, carebear, noob, elitist ahole etc etc. But not that.

Na na na na na na na na. Batperson!

Gamer girl is acceptable in some instances, but not needed in others. As Unhurtable mentioned, saying it like "I'm a gamer girl" isn't really that useful. But if you're looking for someone, saying that she's a "gamer girl" gives a bit more of a description. Unless you at Comicon or something, it'd be easier to find that person.

Online, though, it doesn't really matter.
    Rule 37 of the internet states that there are no girls online.
    While that doesn't mean that there are no people with two X chromosomes playing games, what it means is that online there is no need for gender.
    Great. You have boobs. It's not like I get to touch them. Thus, you're just a person. You're not a boy or girl.

Either part of the title is fine, but together it's just useless.
    If you're talking to someone in an online game, he/she is obviously a gamer. Only girl is needed.
    If you're talking to someone in person, that person's gender should be determinable (love me some andros) in most cases. Only gamer is needed.

/ramble

I've stopped saying that I am anything specific. Cause even if I say "I am a gamer" people start expecting a whole lot that I am not - because they go by what it usually means, and then there's the whole can of worms with not being a "Gamer" if you just play MMORPG's.
    Also, by not reminding everyone of boobs every five minutes it is actually possible to lead a healthy relatively non-harrased online life, I've never had any fuss one these boards for example. Generally it's been a while since I've experienced any of that kinda fuss.

I probably jinxed it now though.

Tough call. If you mention it, it can lead to harassment and drama. If no one mentions it, the general perception that there are no female players tends to persist, and people are more comfortable being openly sexist.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

I don't really mind the term, if people want to use it then no problem. But what irks me is when people say it almost like a brag like "I'm a gamer girl, therefore I am completely special and awesome because we are such a rare breed". I mean the way some people I know talk about it you would think they belong to a cult.

Some people I have seen say it just to emphasise that they are female, as if playing a video game automatically changes you on a genetic level to suddenly sprout a Y chromosome. There's no foul in just saying "Yeah I'm a gamer" when someone asks, that doesnt mean down the road at somepoint when you say "Oh I'm a female by the way" i'm immediately going to flake out and come down with PTSD demanding that you are male because you didn't use the term "Gamer Girl".

My girlfriend once asked me if I thought it made her somewhat of a tomboy because she likes video games. It certainly does not and it makes me somewhat sad that people would stereotype like that.

Just wanted to drop by and leave this link.

40% of mmo gamers are female. Citation: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7796482.stm

MNM
    Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    I've stopped saying that I am anything specific. Cause even if I say "I am a gamer" people start expecting a whole lot that I am not - because they go by what it usually mean
    Like what?

Quote Originally Posted by MNM View Post
    Like what?
    I don't play a whole lot of games, I tend to stick to a few that I enjoy in great amounts - Some people I have talked to believe that in order to be a gamer you have to play a large variety of games, and will ignore certain genres because "it has nothing to do with gaming skills" - thus making you a non-gamer in their eyes.
    Figuring out peoples definitions is a lot more work than just not putting that label on yourself. In my eyes anyways.

MNM
    Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    I don't play a whole lot of games, I tend to stick to a few that I enjoy in great amounts - Some people I have talked to believe that in order to be a gamer you have to play a large variety of games, and will ignore certain genres because "it has nothing to do with gaming skills" - thus making you a non-gamer in their eyes.
    Figuring out peoples definitions is a lot more work than just not putting that label on yourself. In my eyes anyways.
    I'd say it's more about time spent, though playing one or two games is dodgy unless time spent is in the extremes. General interest in at least an entire genre.

If any genre is to be excluded it would be all those iPad games etc.

On topic: from what I've seen, if someone says they're a girl gamer, they're not a gamer, they just play(ed) a game occasionally.

I also think its unnecessary to bring in to the discussion.

used to be unisex and called nerds
    who took my names!

Blah Blah Blah
    Last edited by Tolmos; 01-26-2019 at 10:22 PM.
    Rift: 50 Rogue Tank, Two 50 Cleric tanks, and a 50 Mage

Ascendant

I generally assume gender based off character avatar (ironically enough, I only play females in Rift ;x). Whether they're male or female is irrelevant to our gametime.
    Regardless of what happens, people will always be unhappy. Be thankful for what you have and always be constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Poster View Post
    good or the best
    This quote offers insight into why there are so many perceived balance issues. To some, it doesn't matter how good something is; if it isn't the best, it isn't worth using.

Shadowlander

First off let me apologize in advance if I seem somehow negative; It's of course just my personal opinion but I find this whole debate (or at least the root of it) to be a non-issue (in a sense) or at the very least an old issue, one that I have continuously hoped that our 'modern' society would overcome... Yet, like an old Christmas tree it is still repeatedly dragged out, in all it's ragged splendor, dusted off, decorated and put on display once again. It's actually starting to give me a headache just thinking about it, so on that note I will stop. I wish you all the best and hope your discussion prove entertaining if not much else.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast