+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Book Nook - What are you reading?

Default The Book Nook - What are you reading?

If you would like to share some of your favorite book recommendations, we would love to hear from you!

If you are looking for recommendations or would like to share some titles: "The Book Nook"

Please http://www.axiomfiles.com/Files/2784..._newTopic2.png and tell us about the books (series) that you have enjoyed - thanks!

"That which is beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful."

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

I apologize, but I feel you forgot to include a warning in your OP.

I'll do so for you, it'd my pleasure

Warning: Posting any of the Twilight series books (if you can call them that) results in complete and utter failure.

I've been reading the latest book in the House of Night series,
    Then I will read the latest one in the Evermore Immortals series,
    then I will be reading Dime Store Magic in Kelly Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series.

Currently halfway through re-reading the Discworld series (Yep, im a Pratchett fanboy :P) in publication order, am up to "Feet of Clay" so far!

I've been enjoying the supernatural books, but I picked up this book "Dead Sexy" the other day... my gosh it is so horrible. If anybody is into this genre, stay away from this. It feels like it's written by a 12 year old, as in there's no depth of the content. However, I have been reading the Hobbit otherwise, I think they're making a movie out of it, but I just wish they would hurry it up! J.R. Tolkien has one heck of an imagination.

The War as I Knew It - By General George Smith Patton Jr.
    The Second World War- By John Keegan
    Crystal Shard- By R.A. Salvatore

Yeah I'm into WWII history =P

I like to read thinking books that challenge the way and what you think.

The Giver
    Fahrenheit 451
    Shame on anyone who has not read The Hobbit/LotR Trilogy

Speaking of which, the creator and author of Tarzan is my great-great Uncle (No I don't get anything from it)

I'm finding it difficult to read books written in our "modern" times, as when I start to read them, they just don't have that "make you stop and think" in them anymore, no real themes... If anybody knows of any, please do share, as I am suffering from book withdrawal... At 20 years old, it would be a shame to die from underdosing

I agree that most literature these days is just shallow forms of entertainment, nothing that takes you somewhere else or actually makes you think. I'll definitely have to read some of the war books. I LOVE WWII history.

@Ahrakis: If you haven't already, I'd really give The Divine Comedy a read, there's so much allegory and alternate meanings, it's really a great read. Inferno is my personal favorite :]

Default Deverry Cycle

Hey guys!

If you like fantasy, I strongly encourage reading the Deverry Cycle series by Katharine Kerr!

The series is different because of it's length, pattern and plot/setting. Currently there are 15 novels, and I'm sure more are to come!

The series is written in a non-linear style: the principal narrative is frequently interrupted by flashbacks to events that occurred decades, or even centuries, before. The reader is immersed in a tale stretching over 500 years, with about 15 different characters. What sets these books apart from others is the reincarnation of the main characters. In the series, souls are 'reincarnated' from life to life, to fulfill an overall purpose in the universe, and right the wrongs from previous lives.

The series takes place in a fantasy world, like that of Celtica in 1000 A.D. The main characters harness the secret powers of the dweomer (sorcery) to fight evil.

The Deverry Cycle is a true novel of good vs. evil, and one that is unlike any other novel of the century, in it's non-linear style; questions are constantly being answered by events from the past!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahrakis View Post
    I like to read thinking books that challenge the way and what you think.

The Giver
    Oh yes! I remember this one, it's a true puzzle. Nice suggestion, and a great book!

I'm reading Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow, Thorn. One of the best triology's I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

On the side when I need a laugh, I'm reading Super Fetus by Adam Pepper...So Unique!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonpunch View Post
    When I was a kid, I used to pee in the bathroom trash can at fast food restaurants. I thought it was funny. SO if any of you have kids who do this, they'll probably grow up to be big mean terrible FFA pvpers!!!!

currently reading soul of the fire, terry goodkind, when I finish the series, I'll pick up raymond e fiest again

Sword of truth series by terry goodkind
    Eragon
    and anything piers anthony i can get my hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by Apherdite View Post
    I agree that most literature these days is just shallow forms of entertainment, nothing that takes you somewhere else or actually makes you think. I'll definitely have to read some of the war books. I LOVE WWII history.

@Ahrakis: If you haven't already, I'd really give The Divine Comedy a read, there's so much allegory and alternate meanings, it's really a great read. Inferno is my personal favorite :]
    Read it already, lol, but it is a great suggestion.

Rift Disciple forestwhitakereye's Avatar

I don't want to troll, but seeing two people in a row say they're reading Terry Goodkind's sword of truth series and I just have to speak up. Over three years ago, I had to take a train and I picked up a copy of Phantom at the train station to read, not knowing that it was part of a series (nothing on the book indicated it). I have to say that even though it was years ago, I thought that book was so bad, I can still think of probably at least half a dozen reasons why I hated it.

I don't want to have to type them all out. Please don't make me do that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast