+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recipies From Around the World!

Default Recipies From Around the World!

I have grown tired of cooking my "favorites" over and over again.

I have searched the internet, but there are so many choices and impersonal that it's not as enjoyable to find a fun or unique recipe.

If you have a favorite personal or family recipie that you would like to share please post it up here: Recipies From Around the World!

I am determind to try every recipe posted (as long as it's a sincere post and not someone clowning around ~wink~)

Also, if you decide to try any of the recipies posted there, please post up and let us know how you liked it and/or any personal tweaks & touches you made to it - thanks!
    Last edited by Keilana-TASC; 09-14-2010 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Added the last line.
    "That which is beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful."

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

If your not registered on our TASC forums with the right permissions Kei, the link you posted wont let you in.

Quote Originally Posted by Garmr View Post
    If your not registered on our TASC forums with the right permissions Kei, the link you posted wont let you in.
    I did not know that - thanks. I will make sure they are in public access.
    "That which is beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful."

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

oh boy, you will come to regret (or by a small chance, rejoice) a Norwegian found this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by What's Cooking America
    Lutefisk (pronounced LEWD-uh-fisk) is dried cod that has been soaked in a lye solution for several days to rehydrate it. It is then boiled or baked and served with butter, salt, and pepper. The finished lutefisk usually is the consistency of Jello. It is also called lyefish, and in the United States, Norwegian-Americans traditionally serve it for Thanksgiving and Christmas. In many Norwegian homes, lutefisk takes the place of the Christmas turkey. In Minnesota and Wisconsin, you can find lutefisk in local food stores and even at some restaurants. It is a food that you either love or hate, and, as some people say, "Once a year is probably enough!"
    Anyway, on to the recipe (it's copypasta, sorry)

First of all, invite brave people over for dinner who do not have misconceptions about this wonderful fish! Next, go to a store that carried the freshest of fish and seafood. Ideally, you would get the lutefisk that they pull out of a barrel (most stores hate those barrels a lot and don't do that anymore). Second best, it comes skinless and "trimmed" and packaged in a plastic.

Purchase the lutefisk a day before you want to serve it. Take it out of the plastic bag, put it in a large bowl, and cover with ice water. Change this water two to three times and keep in the refrigerator (if your family will let you). This firms up the fish.

Put the lutefisk in a glass baking dish and season with salt and pepper. Put in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes. The fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork. Do not overcook it or it will look like white Jello! It will be not brown.

In Minnesota, we allow at least a pound of lutefisk per person, served with hot melted butter. The two side dishes are riced potatoes and very small cooked frozen peas - no exceptions.

And, of course, you must have lefse. This is a ritual which we try to repeat as often as possible and as long as we can get the fresh lutefisk.

why on earth would you need a recipie for anything when theres bacon to be had?

http://www.teamliquid.net/staff/Mani...breakfast2.JPG

Thanks Mercury! I will post this in the forum thread and ...

even though I don't like sea food (which my father tells me makes for the WORST Hawaiian/Irish born girl in the history of the planet), I am going to make it and I AM going to serve it!

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Keilana View Post

even though I don't like sea food (which my father tells me makes for the WORST Hawaiian/Irish born girl in the history of the planet), I am going to make it and I AM going to serve it!
    Lutefisk is NOT seafood! It only masquerades as such. It's more seanausea. Tho I noticed you said serve it and not eat it it.....smart girl, smart girl.

Very easy and cheap to make.
    Pâté Chinois:

Bake some ground beef with 1 onion in a frying pan (add salt and pepper at your taste). Remove the fat and put it in a bowl that can go in the oven.
    Take a 8oz can of creamed corn and put it over the ground beef .
    Make mashed potatoes and put them over the corn.
    You can put paprika or turmeric on top of the potatoes.
    put it in the over at 190C (350F) for about 25 minutes.

some people eat it with ketchup.. I don't.

This used to be served to chinese people working on the railroad in Canada a long time ago.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/jeunesse/..._chinois_g.jpg

Edit: You can use sweet potatoes too which make it even better.

This thread needs some pierogi.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I don’t know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don’t want to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Haishao View Post
    Very easy and cheap to make.
    Pâté Chinois:

Bake some ground beef with 1 onion in a frying pan (add salt and pepper at your taste). Remove the fat and put it in a bowl that can go in the oven.
    Take a 8oz can of creamed corn and put it over the ground beef .
    Make mashed potatoes and put them over the corn.
    You can put paprika or turmeric on top of the potatoes.
    put it in the over at 190C (350F) for about 25 minutes.

some people eat it with ketchup.. I don't.

This used to be served to chinese people working on the railroad in Canada a long time ago.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/jeunesse/..._chinois_g.jpg

Edit: You can use sweet potatoes too which make it even better.
    That is called Sheppards Pie in Australia, I would not be surprised If the Chinese introduced it to Australia in the gold rush era. Put pastry on the bottom and its a Cottage Pie

Anything with corn, mashed potatoes and beef = instant win!

Thanks, I added it!

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Keilana View Post

Brave! I myself spent many years ruing the prospect of eating it, but once I did I wasn't that appalled Hope it's a success!

Quote Originally Posted by Garmr View Post
    Lutefisk is NOT seafood! It only masquerades as such. It's more seanausea. Tho I noticed you said serve it and not eat it it.....smart girl, smart girl.
    Hahaha. This is from Wikipedia:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Steingarten
    Lutefisk is not food, it is a weapon of mass destruction. It is currently the only exception for the man who ate everything. Otherwise, I am fairly liberal, I gladly eat worms and insects, but I draw the line on lutefisk.

What is special with lutefisk?

Lutefisk is the Norwegians' attempt at conquering the world. When they discovered that Viking raids didn't give world supremacy, they invented a meal so terrifying, so cruel, that they could scare people to become one's subordinates. And if I'm not terribly wrong, you will be able to do it as well.

But some people say that they like lutefisk. Do you think they tell the truth?

I do not know. Of all food, lutefisk is the only one that I don't take any stand on. I simply cannot decide whether it is nice or disgusting, if the taste is interesting or commonplace. The only thing I know, is that I like bacon, mustard and lefse. Lutefisk is an example of food that almost doesn't taste like anything, but is so full of emotions that the taste buds get knocked out.

I have a plan.

As promised, I am going to try every recipe that is posted in sincerity. However, I don't have to taste it. This one I will be sending to a couple that just LOVE to try things like this. It is right up their ally!

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

Prophet of Telara

It may not test you but how about a Full English Breakfast...watch the calories the rest of the day!

Shepherd's Pie

Again not really a recipe but a dinner you Americans really should sample...Roast Beef Dinner with Yorkshire Puds. You'll want perfect Roast Potatoes and some English veg to go with it...carrots, cabbage, parsnips.

And for dessert...Baked Apples with raisins and cinnamon...you want to use English Bramley Apples if you can get them.

I'm worried now, 'cause I'm vegetarian and all but one recipe here is meat. Classic English food is meat though. You can do a vegetarian Shepherd's Pie I suppose...and a breakfast. Hard to do veggie roast beef though.
    We Were The Defiant

Then Rift went Trivial and Dull

I generally do all the heavy cooking in the house, but most of the recipes I have are passed down to me and are in my head and subject to variations. this is one I normally make in fall or winter:

New England Corn Chowder.

Dice up 1/2 lb bacon
    1 large onion diced ( generally make them larger pieces for texture)
    5 or 6 large potatos (diced as small or large as you like them)
    2 cans cream style corn
    1 can whole kernel corn
    1 quart of half and half or 2 cups milk and 2 cups table cream

Fry up the bacon until its just about finished then add the onion and cook till they are just starting to turn color.
    Boil the potatoes and drain off most of the water

Add bacon, onions and cream to the potatoes
    Stir in the corn

Simmer for a bit to mix the flavors.

It tastes pretty good at that point but if you want a special treat let it set over night in the fridge and reheat it the next day. It thickens up and the corn flavor really comes out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast