Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: SERIOUS question: is GW2 playable by "normal" people?

Rift Disciple

If you've played Star Trek Online (specifically ground combat), and you were able to train yourself to duck behind cover whenever you were 'exposed' rather than standing in the open waiting to get one-shot, then you will have no trouble learning to dodge in GW2.

it's the same thing -- you see an indication on-screen that the next hit you take is going to Hurt A Lot, and you dodge out of the way.

-ken
    Snowreap Yellowtail Preyz Taralin
    < The Purge > Guardian Seastone

Quote Originally Posted by LeCreaux View Post
    Yes. In fact it took me a while to realize you don't need to spam keys at all. Attacks are "on" or "off" so you only need to press a key once. For a few days I was spamming the attack key (number 1) and my daughter had to tell me "dad it's an auto-attack, you just press it once".
    Warrior 1H Sword in main hand for a warrior actually does require a repress as the attack has 3 stages that are not auto.

As for the dodge mechanic, I just mapped it to Mouse 3 and now I can easily press it as I move around, but I like how you can't use it till your eyes bleed (at least as a Warrior) and has a resource tied to it.
    i treasure the moments of my life I'll never get back doing other people's work for them \m/(0.o)\m/

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ordika View Post
    Warrior 1H Sword in main hand for a warrior actually does require a repress as the attack has 3 stages that are not auto.

As for the dodge mechanic, I just mapped it to Mouse 3 and now I can easily press it as I move around, but I like how you can't use it till your eyes bleed (at least as a Warrior) and has a resource tied to it.
    Actually, all #1 skills are automatically set to auto attack, and they just go in order 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-1, etc...

You can have any one ability set to auto-attack at a given time, control right click.
    Last edited by Absintheminded; 08-30-2012 at 02:21 PM.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Nestran View Post
    The big thing that's bothering me right now is that dodge mechanic. I seem to be able to hold my own without it but at the same time the min/max demon keeps poking me saying I could be doing better if I used dodge lol.

I'm 45 and I think my reaction time is still in good shape (when I'm not engaging in other recreations) and GW2 seems to be easy on the reaction stuff so far.
    Adjusting to all the other stuff like getting quests without clicking is another story lol.
    There are two ways to dodge, double tap one of your movement keys (w,s,a,d) which seems to be the most challenging in combat or just hit the (v) key which will cause you to dodge and roll away away from your opponent in the most optimum way. Using just the (v) key may pull adds but it is very easy to use.

As far as auto repeat attacking, you can set any one of your attack bound keys to auto repeat after cooldown, but only one.

Warrior 1H Sword in main hand for a warrior actually does require a repress as the attack has 3 stages that are not auto..
    That is a negative- give it a try. I have both a sword + board warrior and a scepter Mesmer, both of which use that mechanic, and it will do all 3 different attacks automatically when you press 1. The "autoattack" isn't for a specific skill, it's for a specific number. So it doesn't just recast 1 of those skills, it continually presses the number 1 every time something is available. So even though the skills in #1 are changing, it doesn't care. It keeps pressing 1 for you.

I did the EXACT same thing, btw. It took me 3 days to realize I didn't need to. lol
    Last edited by Tolmos; 08-31-2012 at 03:36 AM.
    Rift: 50 Rogue Tank, Two 50 Cleric tanks, and a 50 Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Tolmos View Post
    That is a negative- give it a try. I have both a sword + board warrior and a scepter Mesmer, both of which use that mechanic, and it will do all 3 different attacks automatically when you press 1. The "autoattack" isn't for a specific skill, it's for a specific number. So it doesn't just recast 1 of those skills, it continually presses the number 1 every time something is available. So even though the skills in #1 are changing, it doesn't care. It keeps pressing 1 for you.

I did the EXACT same thing, btw. It took me 3 days to realize I didn't need to. lol
    Aye, indeed
    there is a small bug in it though. You can switch auto-attack off by ctrl+mouse 2, BUT it will also turn itself of is you press 1 twice. At least thats what I can make of it, sometimes auto-attack doesnt trigger itself, and I assume its because of that :P
    Last edited by NearioNL; 08-31-2012 at 03:41 AM.
    Sotiria, GM of Fade Legion.. Founder of Covenant(Argent)
    pew pew rogue
    4/4, 2/4, 1/5

Quote Originally Posted by NearioNL View Post
    Aye, indeed
    there is a small bug in it though. You can switch auto-attack off by ctrl+mouse 2, BUT it will also turn itself of is you press 1 twice. At least thats what I can make of it, sometimes auto-attack doesnt trigger itself, and I assume its because of that :P
    That maybe why I don't always auto attack when sword and board as I was assuming you had to keep pressing it to run thru the three attacks. Good to know.
    i treasure the moments of my life I'll never get back doing other people's work for them \m/(0.o)\m/

For anybody interested, I just posted a rather long (and rather favourable) "first impression" on the main "Will GW2 live to its hype?" thread.

Thanks to everybody who took the time to answer in this thread, your feedback was very appreciated.
    Last edited by Goodberry; 08-31-2012 at 04:06 PM.

I'll be 41 in a couple weeks and it is the most difficult (by far) to grasp combat I have ever done. I haven't had a ton of time with it, though, and need to ponder my key bindings.

That maybe why I don't always auto attack when sword and board as I was assuming you had to keep pressing it to run thru the three attacks. Good to know.
    How are you liking sword and board? I tried a sword/board warrior and was very unhappy with it. Of the 5 skills

1 = autoattack
    2 = a charge
    4 = Additional damage
    3 and 5 = conditions

Just seemed like every PvE fight involved very few buttons. Start with 2, 1 starts automatically... then randomly hit 4 unless the NPC tries to run away.

Really warrior has been the only class I've tried that I didn't really feel.
    Last edited by Tolmos; 09-01-2012 at 02:51 AM.
    Rift: 50 Rogue Tank, Two 50 Cleric tanks, and a 50 Mage

Rift Chaser

Well I am middle aged and am OK over there.

But i would also say until you get some experience of playing the game it helps to "underquest" your natural level a little

The automatic level mentoring system (an automatic version of Rifts manual mentor system) means means you still obtain experience from levels below your natural level, although your stats are adjusted down you still have more skills, like for example a level 50 here mentoring down to say level 15 in the start zones at level 15 mobs, gives a modest advantage like being a fully twinked toon

When you move up to a new region there is a bit of a jump, but with care its OK, for example I levelled to 17 before entering a level 15 to 25 zone

Rift Chaser

Oh yes on postscript......................

I had MAJOR reservations about the cash shop principle over there in GW2 before launch...........

Those reservation fears have been placed on hold....................but they have NOT gone

If you are an adult with an addictive personality be very careful...........

Younger players and kids will dismiss those fears because

a) they may not have a CC anyway

b) it is far to say (with lots of grinding) you can get what you want without RL money spend

c) being younger and less wise in the ways of the world from an experience viewpoint they do NOT understand addictive personality issues

MMO games make money from things people want and GW2 is no exception

Here in Rift your worse case scenario is lots of time and a fixed monthly/annual fee

In GW2 its both time and money spent via the cash shop..............

A personal view folks
    Last edited by Gardy; 09-01-2012 at 03:47 AM.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Tolmos View Post
    How are you liking sword and board? I tried a sword/board warrior and was very unhappy with it. Of the 5 skills

1 = autoattack
    2 = a charge
    4 = Additional damage
    3 and 5 = conditions

Just seemed like every PvE fight involved very few buttons. Start with 2, 1 starts automatically... then randomly hit 4 unless the NPC tries to run away.

Really warrior has been the only class I've tried that I didn't really feel.
    The attacks are much more complex than that and you need to look at them in more detail.

I play a thief, when I use a dagger the # 1 key attack is completely positional and will be one of four different actual attacks depending on my position in relation to the target and can even be a finisher to a leap over or to or back from my opponent

When I use a short bow the #2 key attack is a ranged bomb. If you shoot it it lobs over and detonates on the ground for small damage. However, if you lob and then wait until it is almost there but still in the air and hit the key again it will detonate in the air causing shrapnel damage and as shrapnel hit the ground it will cause several secondary explosions (much more damage). Depending on the altitude of the bomb on the second press of the key will determine the radius of the shrapnel effect.

So you see these keys have much more complex affects than you think. You will have to get out of the usual combat mindset (press key and wait for effect at target) and really learn a more dynamic way to fight and evade in GW2.

Also you can fast swap weapon sets while fighting that gives you much more flexibility and variablity depending on sets you have equiped. So even though two or more exact level thieves are playing together their weapon sets and fast swapping make them completely different in combat style.
    Last edited by Riwijo; 09-01-2012 at 07:03 AM.

General of Telara

One other cool aspect to GW2 combat is that undewater fighting is better. You have unique weapons that can only be used underwater. It always bothered me to to see a guy in other MMOs swinging a sword, or shooting a gun, or using a bow and arrow while standing upright underwater. In GW2 you can only use unique underwater weapons, and they are on their own fast swap so you can have different ones equiped depending on situations.

Rift to this day has not got swimming on the surface of water right. Try GW2 on top and under water. Trion needs to send a few devs to school at AreaNet.
    Last edited by Riwijo; 09-01-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Also, if you're a ranger you can get underwater specific ones or amphibious ones and swap them out. Same as with the weapons.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast