Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Everquest 2 still good?

Default Is Everquest 2 still good?

Title says it all wanting to play it between beta's. Are the graphics outdated and is it a grind or does it feel fun and fresh.
    Processor: i7 920 2.7Ghz 4 Cores
    RAM: 12 GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
    Hard Disk: 2 TB
    Triton Gaming Headset For Ventrilo

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Onarye View Post
    Title says it all wanting to play it between beta's. Are the graphics outdated and is it a grind or does it feel fun and fresh.
    EQ2 is still very fun, Latly I've been playing Vanguard, lot of fun too. ;0)

Quote Originally Posted by Magnaman View Post
    EQ2 is still very fun, Latly I've been playing Vanguard, lot of fun too. ;0)
    Alright ill give it a shot.

Rift Disciple

Alright ill give it a shot.
    Just don't forget to change the graf settings, if you keep them to low. you'll want to shoot yourself. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Magnaman View Post
    Just don't forget to change the graf settings, if you keep them to low. you'll want to shoot yourself. ;)
    Haha alright

EQ2 is still one of the most solid MMOs out there, in my opinion. However, microtransactions and the last couple of expansions are killing it.

EQ2 is a solid game. The best content is probably between levels fifty and sixty, though.

The positives:
    Beautifully designed game visually (imho, anyhoo)
    More content in some single tiers than many mmos have in their entire games.
    Nice playerbase, for the most part.
    Decent class design, although balance can be an issue.

The negatives:
    Microtransactions can get a bit annoying, but the store does not sell anything that you have to buy to level or play.
    Class imbalance means that there is, usually, a "flavor of the month" class somewhere. Conversely, some of the classes in each archetype suffer from these imbalances. This shouldn't be an issue unless you do endgame stuff tho.
    I'd heard it was currently hard to find groups for dungeons while leveling. This may or may not be true.

Most of this is just my opinion, not fact. Take it as more of a light review

I'd recommend making your toon on Antonia Bayle server as that is the highest pop server.

Have fun in EQ2, I'm probably activating my account as well. I need a fantasy game to play while waiting for Rift to go live. DCUO is fun but I like my magic'n and big metal beatsticks.

if you're not sure, try EQ2 Extended (bronze account is free, although in-game options such as chat, race/class selection will be limited). Personally, I found the new leveling area around New Halas lots of fun and very nicely streamlined so you're never at a loss what to do next. And it holds up reasonably well, graphics-wise, despite being somewhat mature in MMO years.

And there's a new expansion coming out soon, which deals with Velious (that was like my favoritest zone EVAR in the original Everquest).
    "...sometimes a single act can be so evil it can curse the world, unraveling the future"

EQ2 was one of the best games out there, but RMTs are killing it. Don't bother going the EQ2X route, it's not the true game and VERY limited. The AB recommendation is probably a good one for a server with enough population left to have to good play experience.

I enjoy EQ2 very much. It was the first MMO I ever played and the only one, until Rift, that I have continued to play. As others said, the microtransactions are getting a bit out of hand IMO and I worry about where they are going with the game. That being said, I still play regularly and raid regularly as well.

Dunno what the hubub is about the station store is. There really isn't much in except fluff stuff. Yes there is exp potions, but last time I checked , zones are pretty empty.

I liked EQ2 also, its very complete in mmo terms.

The one thing I hate about EQ2 is that the client performance is terrible and everything SOE have tried doesn't really help.

I still enjoy logging into EQ2 from time to time. I've moved over to the EQx server though. The game runs well now that hardware has out paced SOE's poor coding. They recently added SM 3.0 to the game as well upping some of the visuals and making the lighting better.

The game is enjoyable and solo oriented. If you are a grouper then you may be left with wanting more. Give the free version a shot.

Everquest2 is friendly for solo players, lot of stuff were added in past expansions (EoF, RoK, SF) for low and mid lvl, before Eq2x was released they made some tweaks in low and mid lvl gear irc. You can now easily hit the lvl cup by completing solo quests. Lot of beuteful zones (Steamfont, Solusek eye, Enchanted Lands and all frozen area are my favorite).

I've been playing EQ2 for about 6 years now, and I still find it very fun. The graphics were well ahead of the curve at the time, so they still look very good (imo Rift's falls somewhere in between EQ2 and WoW on the realism scale...depends on your preferences what you consider "better", they are quite different art styles). There's another EQ2 expansion coming out at the end of Feb as well, looks decent so far. I'll be getting both the new EQ2 Expansion and Rift when they come out

If you roll up on the Unrest Server, look for me or my guild. You'd be welcome to jump in with us and test things out.

Filmore
    The Shard Collectors

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast