+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Game designer meets heroic death

Default Game designer meets heroic death

I didn't follow THQ Relic or Company of Heroes but some of you may have heard of Brian Wood one of the known designers for those games.

At any rate he was killed recently when another car crossed the median and was headed right for the passenger side of his vehicle where his pregnant wife was sitting. So he turns the vehicle placing him self in the direct path of the impact and sacrifices him self to safe his wife and unborn child.

I had a twinge of emotion. /sadface

Wife and baby are reported to be ok.

That's called being a man of the family. /salute
    Takes two of em be bold like that...

#retiredBear #teamBBCs #puffForeverMad

Quote Originally Posted by nefermore View Post
    I didn't follow THQ Relic or Company of Heroes but some of you may have heard of Brian Wood one of the known designers for those games.

At any rate he was killed recently when another car crossed the median and was headed right for the passenger side of his vehicle where his pregnant wife was sitting. So he turns the vehicle placing him self in the direct path of the impact and sacrifices him self to safe his wife and unborn child.

I had a twinge of emotion. /sadface

Wife and baby are reported to be ok.
    Thats terrible. Why did the other car cross over the median? Also, that sounds kind of strange to me. If you cross over a median, usually between the two opposing lanes of traffic, wouldn't the drivers sides always be the ones next to each other? I guess if you had one of those smaller roads off of the highway, I'm assuming like this guys car was on the right traveling one way and the other car is on the drivers left traveling the opposite way. If the car crosses the median, it would be approaching the driver's side right? I guess there are sometimes smaller roads that are like 1 lane that sometimes follow the highway, but I didn't think you'd usually be able to get across the median between the highway and one of those roads because they're usually fenced off or something like that.
    Video of best Mage spec in action! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    Thats terrible. Why did the other car cross over the median? Also, that sounds kind of strange to me. If you cross over a median, usually between the two opposing lanes of traffic, wouldn't the drivers sides always be the ones next to each other? I guess if you had one of those smaller roads off of the highway, I'm assuming like this guys car was on the right traveling one way and the other car is on the drivers left traveling the opposite way. If the car crosses the median, it would be approaching the driver's side right? I guess there are sometimes smaller roads that are like 1 lane that sometimes follow the highway, but I didn't think you'd usually be able to get across the median between the highway and one of those roads because they're usually fenced off or something like that.

The other car's driver was being really stupid and ask the passenger next to her to hold the wheel while she removed her jacket. There is an on going investigation into possible vehicular homicide with suspicion of drug usage involved.

Very brave thing he did. Glad to know the wife and child are okay, but still sad to hear about the loss.

Quote Originally Posted by nefermore View Post
    The other car's driver was being really stupid and ask the passenger next to her to hold the wheel while she removed her jacket. There is an on going investigation into possible vehicular homicide with suspicion of drug usage involved.
    I really hope they nail the other drive to the wall, a family man gives up his life (the greatest sacfices of all) to protect his family because another person was doing something stupid or should not of all.

I am glad that the wife and unborn child are okay, sorry for the lost of the husband / so to be father.

From Blues News....

"The Brian Wood Memorial Trust is now active, following the death of Relic designer Brian Wood in an act of heroic self-sacrifice. The fund is accepting donations for Wood's widow Erin and her unborn child, as word is: "Thank you so much for your kind support, prayers and well wishes for Erin and the baby following the tragic loss of her husband, Brian Wood. In memory of Brian, a memorial trust has been set up to help Erin and her family through this difficult time."

http://www.brianwoodmemorialtrust.com/

It's absolutely tragic. My heart goes out to his wife and baby, family and friends.
    "Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!"

Quote Originally Posted by Taijitu View Post
    I really hope they nail the other drive to the wall

And the passenger for taking the wheel - should have told the driver to keep her @#$%ing hands on the wheel and drive.

Link to one of the on-line stories:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._game_des.html

Being a pregnant wife at this very moment, I can only empathize with Wood's widow. This is one of those tragedies that simply did not have to happen. I like to think that the other driver AND the passenger who aided and abetted will have more guilt and trauma than The System can provide. But nothing will bring back the future Mrs. Wood was expecting to have.

And, dammit, Nefer, I can't stop crying now. Thanks for sharing. :P
    "Strive for perfection - settle for excellence."
    "Yes way, Ted!"

It's excellent to hear that he would have such bold emotions as to stand up in a situation like that... There need to be more people like that in the world.

Conversely....

The on-coming driver... nub at life, needless to say.
    "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

+ Reply to Thread