Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: PvP: Rift vs GW2

Rift Chaser

Default PvP: Rift vs GW2

After playing one beta of GW2 I can say with absolute confidence, it will pull a lot of subs from Rift. Aside from each class having 8 souls and instant character build versatility Rift cannot match what GW2 offers. I along with many players have no desire to PvE and therefore what Rift has focused on is not in line with my play-style. Here are a few key elements that I found immediately refreshing about a single weekend of beta.

1: Actual Open World PvP - Some could argue that the WvW isn't actually open world but having objectives to fight over and a reason to fight instead of random skirmishes that break out and end up with one side rez camping the other. Where one side did dominate in our weekend bracket it was reset and paired us with a more balanced WvW match.

2: CC abuse was not existent - Sure I at times was dazed, feared or knocked down but it never felt like chain CC -> death. Rift has lost all sight of diminishing returns and still cannot balance dps burst, healing and CC. Is the GW2 system perfect? Of course not, but it is only beta and they are already in a better state than Rift is currently.

3: Something to do other than queue for WF's - Aside from the occasional group that attempts to enter each other's main city to kill players coming out of WF's and are still marked for PvP, everyone just chills in Sanctum and Meridian waiting for their WF's to pop. Who can blame them when there is no reason or purpose to go out and fight?

Maybe it's just got that new game smell and appeal but it is refreshing and I for one cannot wait until launch. Anyone else have comments, please share.

Shadowlander

Rift is a PVE based game with PVP thrown into it: PVE people will prefer rift
    GW2 is a PVP based game with PVE thrown into it: PVP people will prefer GW2

In reality since GW2 has no sub fee. I think alot of people will play GW2 but still play Rift.

Tbh, I didn't really enjoy the beta weekends. I personally found the combat didn't feel right, it didn't seem to flow - this is a game killer for me, so I'm trying to get a refund.

I'll keep with rift until ps2 is released, then I'll see.
    Playtime - p4x Guardian Rogue - Bloodiron
    Sma - p4x Guardian Mage - Bloodiron

Champion

In my MMO experience, going back to 1999 EQ, I have found that the PvP crowd is much louder for their size and the least loyal of any group.

Catering to this group has always been a mistake, in my opinion, and I just don't know why dev's even include PvP in their games. It makes balance almost impossible unless you wall of PvP on different servers with no transfer off.

If GW2 is a PvP first game then good for them and I wish them luck.

Sword of Telara

I'm still so so on GW2. I played the beta as well all weekend. I think a lot of my issues with it may resolve as they iron **** out, but there were some rather OP combos. I found a fairly decent way to abuse necromancer and it's toughness boosting mechanics. By the end of the weekend, I just ran around with 4 pets who did all my dps and I /laugh (ed) and folks who tried killing my guy. I suppose that's kind of like how Wardens/SnB warriors feel. :P Or felt in the case of wardens.

The pvp skillsets were rather limited in GW2, and the graphics weren't quite what I was expecting. It felt a bit final fantasy for me, though I did love FF7. I did love the quick switch of weapon sets to expand skill selection though. I didn't do much open world, as that was being dominated by my server. All I did was Arena style play, which is perhaps the best method for gauging the game's balance thus far. I was a bit bummed about there not being actual... open world pvp. It does have the Lotro'esk pvp area, but yeah. Honestly, I wish you could just 'flag up' and anyone who wants some could attack. Anywhere. I wish Rift had that so you could fight/kill your own faction.
    Laban Rogue <That Guild>. Bad... good? I'm the guy with the gun.

I found combat slow and boring. CC was near useless, and I found myself doing it just to have something else to do while my lolautoattack did it's thing.

WvWvW was instanced garbage, with aoe zerg fests on doors, and no ways to counter them like in Rift, e.g. Dominators, archons, LW, just more AOE in return.

All the builds were nice and changed how your character performed, but it didn't play much different. They were quite boring talents. I like Rift's different souls.

I think the MOBA crowd will love this gw2, but's pvp didn't feel anything like a RPG to me.
    Last edited by spaceboots; 06-12-2012 at 06:23 AM.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboots View Post
    I found combat slow and boring. CC was near useless, and I found myself doing it just to have something else to do while my lolautoattack did it's thing.

WvWvW was instanced garbage, with aoe zerg fests on doors, and no ways to counter them like in Rift, e.g. Dominators, archons, LW, just more AOE in return.

All the builds were nice and changed how your character performed, but it didn't play much different. They were quite boring talents. I like Rift's different souls.

I think the MOBA crowd will love this gw2, but's pvp didn't feel anything like a RPG to me.
    I don't know, I had a slightly different experience with CCing. I pretty much was able to chain CC folks and keep them slowed so I could kite kill them on both my thief and my Necro. Had one warrior who kept rushing my necro... who I'd just chain cc and nuke from range over and over. I must have killed the guy 30 times like that over 3 or 4 "warfronts".

Ascendant

i have problems with the cell shading look of gw2, just not my stile prbly.
    fighting didnt imerse me in the game, be it pvp or pve. Rift is just so much more reactive, Gw2 felt like
    playing under Water (hard to describe actually).

WvsWvsW is where GW2 really shines, being that that is the focus of the game no wonder actually ... all besides that is mediocre at its best, and when you fought over the same castle the 1000th time, it will get boring probably too ...

the big whining and qqing in gw2 is yet to come, wait for about 3 months after release, and the tsunami of tears will rise. mark my words

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbawockee View Post
    3: Something to do other than queue for WF's - Aside from the occasional group that attempts to enter each other's main city to kill players coming out of WF's and are still marked for PvP, everyone just chills in Sanctum and Meridian waiting for their WF's to pop. Who can blame them when there is no reason or purpose to go out and fight?
    :
    What is the purpose of OW PVP in GW2? I'm ignorant on the game, but I've always found that no game has ever made it purposeful, just likely to happen.
    Seb - R40 OP PVP Warrior
    Solo Tanking Akylios - But I hate tanking Plutonus.
    New WF Idea for Rift
    SAVE THE VK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebb View Post
    What is the purpose of OW PVP in GW2?
    There isn't any open world pvp in GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Laban of C O View Post
    I don't know, I had a slightly different experience with CCing. I pretty much was able to chain CC folks and keep them slowed so I could kite kill them on both my thief and my Necro. Had one warrior who kept rushing my necro... who I'd just chain cc and nuke from range over and over. I must have killed the guy 30 times like that over 3 or 4 "warfronts".
    Oh you were ranged.

I played warrior and a thief. I'm sure I was specced incorrectly cause like he said there A LOT of combinations. My only problem was they were all boring bonuses or procs.

I'll certainly be playing it just cause it's f2p.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboots View Post
    Oh you were ranged.

I played warrior and a thief. I'm sure I was specced incorrectly cause like he said there A LOT of combinations. My only problem was they were all boring bonuses or procs.

I'll certainly be playing it just cause it's f2p.
    Yeah, I did a ton of arena pvp with Thief, Engineer, and Necromancer.

Thief was rough. Melee building with it is a pain, but you can be fairly competative with the short bow. You have an excellent CC that also pushes you back. Great for kiting folks. I found it underwhelming though damage wise and stealth for 3 seconds was... meh.

Engineer was interesting. Getting in the middle of folks and putting down a bunch of bombs worked ok, setting up turrets was ok.. but made you imobile in a very mobile based game (arena warfronts at least). Becoming a flamethrower "juggernaught" was ok.

Necromancer was the only time I felt OP out of the 3 though. GW2 will have to look seriously at their traits relating to pets for necro. Bumped my hp up to nearly 30k, and got extra toughness off each pet I had up... with ccing abilities... and healed off damage I did, and my pets did. I facetanked groups in that garbage, which was a bit unacceptable from a balance perspective.

Rift = six to eight huge Expansion in other games sized updates a year for free

Gullible Wars 2 = one paid for Expansion in said year, so yeah, i'll take my free 6 weekly content updates i get bundled into my sub thanks

Plus seeing chars "gliding" or moving like stick insects sliding around? i'll pass

Look at DAOC, it was a PVE game, with RVR and PVP. that game is legendary. So...I'm personally excited about the 3 way PVP coming to rift. I just hope they enhance it so that there are things like seige equipment to take and defend with and castles we can fight over.

I'm staying here.
    And I'm pretty confident that no matter how many people GW2 takes, most of them will visit back for the expansion.
    ~Quiescent

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast