Closed Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: PvP: Rift vs GW2

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbawockee View Post
    After playing one beta of GW2 I can say with absolute confidence, it will pull a lot of subs from Rift. Aside from each class having 8 souls and instant character build versatility Rift cannot match what GW2 offers. I along with many players have no desire to PvE and therefore what Rift has focused on is not in line with my play-style. Here are a few key elements that I found immediately refreshing about a single weekend of beta.

1: Actual Open World PvP - Some could argue that the WvW isn't actually open world but having objectives to fight over and a reason to fight instead of random skirmishes that break out and end up with one side rez camping the other. Where one side did dominate in our weekend bracket it was reset and paired us with a more balanced WvW match.

2: CC abuse was not existent - Sure I at times was dazed, feared or knocked down but it never felt like chain CC -> death. Rift has lost all sight of diminishing returns and still cannot balance dps burst, healing and CC. Is the GW2 system perfect? Of course not, but it is only beta and they are already in a better state than Rift is currently.

3: Something to do other than queue for WF's - Aside from the occasional group that attempts to enter each other's main city to kill players coming out of WF's and are still marked for PvP, everyone just chills in Sanctum and Meridian waiting for their WF's to pop. Who can blame them when there is no reason or purpose to go out and fight?

Maybe it's just got that new game smell and appeal but it is refreshing and I for one cannot wait until launch. Anyone else have comments, please share.
    Agree 100%, I had so much freaking fun in the beta and would happily pay for the work in progress to play it right now as is. I do not agree with the new game smell, GW2 has the GOOD game smell, I have not been looking forward to a release this bad in a LONG time.

Awesome game, Rift is going to be hurting bad when it loses all of the neglected pvp players. And thankfully all of the l33ts should stay right here where they can farm nubs to their heart's content in this gear based pos.

Quote Originally Posted by RobXIII View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and say it: After playing during the last weekend, I think RIFTs graphic engine is better. GW2 ran at 12-28 FPS despite 2 GTX 580s (they were used up to like 20% max, rest was CPU). Whereas RIFT was more GPU heavy, except in Sanctum of course :P, therefore had a much better frame rate.
    That's odd, I noticed a substantial improvement from BWE1 to BWE2. I was holding 40-60 fps at max settings during the BWE2 with a 2500k and a 570. Maybe the game isn't implementing SLI correctly atm.
    Storytime - Breaking Bads

Rift Chaser

There is no question about it in my mind, after two beta weekends. Guildwars 2 stomps all over Rift in the PVP department and they are better at balancing, period. I had expected this though so I am not suprised. Rifts tacked on RvR isn't even in the same universe as GW2.

The sense of server pride is back, the sense of teamwork is back. Rift just cant hold a candle to it. I respect Trion fo their aggressive content releases but in the pvp department GW2 just wrecks Rift.
    Jogyn@Seastone P8 Rogue
    Jogyn@Brocliff P2 Cleric
    Kitethis@Seastone 39

ArenaNet is making the game, NCsoft is not touching anything in the actual game, you guys should get that straight.
    Gnarlwood - Belladonna - P50 Rogue
    Seastone - Puandro - P24 Mage
    Im here for the PvE, not the unbalanced subpar PvP.
    Just Waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Puandro View Post
    ArenaNet is making the game, NCsoft is not touching anything in the actual game, you guys should get that straight.
    But you know NCsoft is going to have influence. Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by Wargawd View Post
    There is no question about it in my mind, after two beta weekends. Guildwars 2 stomps all over Rift in the PVP department and they are better at balancing, period. I had expected this though so I am not suprised. Rifts tacked on RvR isn't even in the same universe as GW2.

The sense of server pride is back, the sense of teamwork is back. Rift just cant hold a candle to it. I respect Trion fo their aggressive content releases but in the pvp department GW2 just wrecks Rift.
    Yea, for now...

I think trion is waiting it out for now though. I think they want to see how it pans out and see if GW2 works, then takes some ideas and improve on them. Call it a hunch but I got a feeling that Rift isn't going to roll over and die just because GW2 is coming out.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by HannonHellbringer View Post
    Yea, for now...

I think trion is waiting it out for now though. I think they want to see how it pans out and see if GW2 works, then takes some ideas and improve on them. Call it a hunch but I got a feeling that Rift isn't going to roll over and die just because GW2 is coming out.
    I don't think its going to roll over either, Storm Legion will come out and they will re-capture a bunch of players. Specifically in the PVP department Anet has spent whatever amount of years specifically designing PVP to go into the game at launch and not adding it as an afterthought. They are specifically targeting PVPrs so I would expect their PVP to be better than Trion's. It would be epic fail if it wasn't.

I am skeptical of Trion's new found enthusiasm about PVP based on what I have seen and based on the appearance that they are doing it only because GW2 is trying to take a bunch of their players. It just seems like they only give PVP content when they have to not because they want to which is just the opposite of what Anet is doing. Which is not suprising Trion is PVE focused but do not expect a PVE game to beat Guildwars2 in the PVP department. Anet has just put more effort into it, plain and simple. I still think Trion is one of the best MMO companies on the planet and I will be coming back to check out the RVR and see how they did.
    Last edited by Wargawd; 06-13-2012 at 03:06 PM.
    Jogyn@Seastone P8 Rogue
    Jogyn@Brocliff P2 Cleric
    Kitethis@Seastone 39

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbawockee View Post
    Rift PvP, if you want to call 5 WF's and the occasional skirmish that breaks out and ends within minutes PvP, then no it probably not die. But to me this isn't PvP and if you love it and have fun more power to you.
    I'm not sure if you're one of the ones saying PVP on Rift sucks and you'll be leaving when GW2 is out or not, so I'm not sure how to respond. If you think PVP on Rift sucks, etc., then why are you still here? Not a troll, a genuine question. Why play if it sucks and you don't have fun?

Sounds like you love PvE, which if you notice is not what this thread is about at all. I LOL'd at your waiting on WF's comment. Seriously you're like everyone else who either duels, tests their spec on the dummies or browses the AH, but either way you don't leave the main city. Don't over-glorify waiting on queues as they are not "fun" and nobody who really enjoys PvP wants to wait extended periods of time to get into a match. Who are you trying to convince? Yourself?
    I have 2 active 50s and a leveling 30ish alt. I am Tier 2 raid ready on one 50 and leveled the other entirely through PVP. The alt I'm mostly dungeon-chaining. All of those things require leaving the main city so I am sorry to report that you are not psychic and did not glean the correct information from my post. :/ But yes, I do love PVE. If you don't, you're probably in the wrong game. Again, why are you playing if you only play for PVP and it's not fun for you? I genuinely do not understand people.

Bottom Line: Rift makes me happy. If it doesn't make you happy, find something that does. Rift doesn't have to cater to PVPers to survive and thrive, and I sincerely hope the devs understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Rift = six to eight huge Expansion in other games sized updates a year for free

LOL, yea it is nice. Admittedly, it ticked me off that I paid the $59.99 and see it in WalMart for $9.99 and they where giving better sub prices to new accounts than the Head Start people. Anyhow...

I love a lot of aspects of Rift, but I really only PvP. So, I am waiting to see how GW2 pans out, lol. Then decide when my 18 month sub is up. So, keep the reviews coming.
    Last edited by Lords0fpain; 06-13-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by paper View Post
    That's odd, I noticed a substantial improvement from BWE1 to BWE2. I was holding 40-60 fps at max settings during the BWE2 with a 2500k and a 570. Maybe the game isn't implementing SLI correctly atm.
    If you look at their FAQ, there are a list of known issues, and one being that SLI is not currently supported atm.

Can't wait for GW2...PvP was sooooooooooooo fun.

Yea, for now...

Nope, plenty of people play Rift who love running the same pve instances day after day after day over and over and over so they can gear up and do it all over again. These folks will stay here, I hope they and Trion have a happy life together, I'll be playing GW2.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mako482 View Post
    Nope, plenty of people play Rift who love running the same pve instances day after day after day over and over and over so they can gear up and do it all over again. These folks will stay here, I hope they and Trion have a happy life together, I'll be playing GW2.
    so content changes daily in gw2 or what is different there?

Champion

But you know NCsoft is going to have influence. Just sayin...
    ArenaNet is working under the NCsoft West. The president of NCsoft West is one of the founders of ArenaNet itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Eshyn View Post
    I'm not sure if you're one of the ones saying PVP on Rift sucks and you'll be leaving when GW2 is out or not, so I'm not sure how to respond. If you think PVP on Rift sucks, etc., then why are you still here? Not a troll, a genuine question. Why play if it sucks and you don't have fun?

Bottom Line: Rift makes me happy. If it doesn't make you happy, find something that does. Rift doesn't have to cater to PVPers to survive and thrive, and I sincerely hope the devs understand this.
    We still play because it is arguably the best pvp available right now, which says a ton about how much suck there is in the pvp department of the modern MMO.

As for your second statement......then go play the game and stop whining here because people don't like it as much as you do.

You attitude towards pvpers is crap, as if we don't deserve our part of the game or something. Why are there these servers labeled PVP if we have no part in this game? The PVE bunch are such an arrogant crowd. The entire game caters to you, all we want is small pvp portion of the game to get a little more attention. If you think Trion won't miss our $$$$ you're insane.
    Last edited by Mako482; 06-14-2012 at 02:30 AM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Mako482 View Post
    We still play because it is arguably the best pvp available right now, which says a ton about how much suck there is in the pvp department of the modern MMO.

As for your second statement......then go play the game and stop whining here because people don't like it as much as you do.

You attitude towards pvpers is crap, as if we don't deserve our part of the game or something. Why are there these servers labeled PVP if we have no part in this game? The PVE bunch are such an arrogant crowd. The entire game caters to you, all we want is small pvp portion of the game to get a little more attention. If you think Trion won't miss our $$$$ you're insane.
    ^^^^^ exactly! ^^^^^

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast