+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: D3 and GW2 killed my server

that sounds like the game becoming f2p :P
    But honestly the servers have gone a lot down the previous week.
    All eu servers are very quiet except 4. Icewatch,Bloodiron,Brisesol and Brutmutter, which also have a huge drop off,of online players!Hope things become better the next weeks or else trion should close many servers

Quote Originally Posted by Mayuko View Post
    D3 can't really be compared to Rift and from what I understand, a lot of people are not playing because of the draconian DRM that requires you to be online even if you wish to play single player.
    i heard rift requires that too, terrible

Transfer to a more populated server.

That's what everyone who used to be on yours did.
    Noco@Wolfsbane

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinnz View Post
    i heard rift requires that too, terrible
    That might be a valid point if Diablo 3 was a MMO not a hack and slash game.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

D3 is like Skyrim - it will drop the general activity in most MMOs out there; but it does not necessarily mean a max exodus from a game like Rift. People will be back; not all of them, but most people I know are having fun playing D3, but they still raid log and once their initial rush of fun from D3 is over, they'll be back in Rift at the same level of activity as they used to be.

It is what happens with a lot of games - Rift isn't the only game out there, and when a new game that people feel they would enjoy comes out, they will spend time on that game. This equates to less time on Rift; which equates to servers looking a bit less active.

It is temporary.

GW2 on the other hand is an unknown - it does not have raids; which will keep people in Rift.
    However, I see a lot of PvPers will most likely leave Rift for GW2 (and when I mean PvP, I mean people who solely PvP, or find PvP is their main basis for playing an MMORPG). Trion's recent Conquest map will be unlikely to help keep PvPers in Rift.

Plane Touched

I'm busy playing it, but I still have my Rift sub.

D3's a game you play in bunches. There's no one (for me, at least) to 'keep up with' so I can play when I damned well feel like it.

Once the new wears off, people will be back, including me, but that also doesn't mean people are 'done with D3'. Many (not all, of course) will go back for another dose when the mood strikes. I got MMO-ed out sometimes, too, you know.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    D3 is like Skyrim - it will drop the general activity in most MMOs out there; but it does not necessarily mean a max exodus from a game like Rift. People will be back; not all of them, but most people I know are having fun playing D3, but they still raid log and once their initial rush of fun from D3 is over, they'll be back in Rift at the same level of activity as they used to be.

It is what happens with a lot of games - Rift isn't the only game out there, and when a new game that people feel they would enjoy comes out, they will spend time on that game. This equates to less time on Rift; which equates to servers looking a bit less active.

It is temporary.

GW2 on the other hand is an unknown - it does not have raids; which will keep people in Rift.
    However, I see a lot of PvPers will most likely leave Rift for GW2 (and when I mean PvP, I mean people who solely PvP, or find PvP is their main basis for playing an MMORPG). Trion's recent Conquest map will be unlikely to help keep PvPers in Rift.
    I see Conquest as Trion testing the waters. I do think they will implement a full scale RVR using this system eventually. However the problem is I don't think they will have the time and resources to do that for some time, maybe with an expansion. And GW2 should be out by then. And thats gonna hurt them.

As for Diablo 3, I am playing that most of the time now, but once I clear Nightmare I think I will be back to playing Rift most of the time because Hell and Inferno are gonna be grueling.
    Last edited by Khelendross; 05-23-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    My opinion, Trion should change the Free to 20 model, to allow players to play from 1-50 for free, but limit their ability to do stuff.
    Yes, do this so I don't have to renew while I wait for another game.
    Wqrriqr: 207850 Defiants decapitated

Old Videos: PVP1 & PVP2
    0/11 HK 1/1 GW2

it really is a mix of 1.8, gw2 betas and d3 andf summer that made my server feel like it lost ~60-70% of the population

pre 1.8 there were many pugs going around, instant adventures being full most of tprime times etc etc

now i am alone in ias, hardly and pugs, pre 50 dungeon and bg queques are extremely long etc etc
    it felt like 1.8 had the biggest negative impact tbh, and not d3 or the gw2 beta

As a few already have said, the primary reason for lower activity is the summer time.
    It's always like that and will always be like that. Some guilds loos like 40-50% players during the summer. If you then combine it with games like D3, TERA, GW2(beta for now) the drop could be even more.
    But the good thing is it's just a temporary drop

Then its importan to stay calm and accept thats how it is and that it is expected.
    Take it cool, enjoy the summer with some friends, keep the mood high
    When summer start wearing off, TERA and D3 will over as well. GW2 would proberbly not have a release date and so on.

If you start going into panic and if you at the same time is an officer, guild master or other front figure in your guild, then the bad mood start spreading and thats the real guild/game killer.

So just take it easy, tell your guild mates, friende, etc. thats it's accepted, that they ofc. is more then welcome on your vent/TS/mumble server and let them feel that there Rift home is still here
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ........... Whatever ..............

I like reading some of these replies. Mostly the ones from people who weren't born when Diablo first came out and are criticizing it for something it isn't and never was. "Omg it is a top down dungeon shooter with terribad graphics." I seriously almost fell out of my chair. Thanks a ton

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post

It is temporary.

A lot of the PvPers that left 6 months after Rift release will be there. These are players that played RvR in games that had community-based 3-way PvP as part of it's core design. No attrit there at all from Rift. So no worries.

GW2 does not have 10 or 20 man raids, nor does it have a gear-centric design. Hopefully that WILL keep a vast amount of people in Rift (and WoW). My guildmates and I are crossing our fingers that the instanced raiders remain here in Rift. No worries there either, I hope.

There will also be players who are not solely PvP who will be going to GW2. Whether those attrit from the folks in Rift that want more outdoor, community-oriented, sliding-scale, real dynamic encounters and can't find that challenging play, I can not say. I just know for a fact that my guild and I belong to this group. (As well as former RvR players.) And we are not going to GW2 for the PvP. Although we will absolultely take part in RvR to provide as much support and create as much benefit our community as we can. And hope that the game does not have a lot of WoW-only PvP players who don't understand what that means.

PvP could be the one area I think Rift players need to be concerned about. GW2 does offer arena play. However, the game does not offer meaningless instanced PvP, so this could also be a mixed bag. There could be some attrition here as players learn the difference between PvP and RvR and actually come to appreciate the disparity. Hopefully those that enjoy BGs, er WFs actually also remain behind with Rift (and WoW.)

As for my shard here, the 4 times I have logged on in the last 4 weeks to report gold sellers from in-game mail, it did seem like the server was a lot emptier. At least in Sanctum. Of course I wasn't on long enough to get an "accurate sense".

-Not playing any other games at the moment other than Solitaire.
    Last edited by Perignon; 05-24-2012 at 10:08 PM.
    What came out of this (WoW) is a subculture of raiders -- no one who had raided in previous games -- boors who can't even spell noblesse oblige, much less explain what it means.

I want the boors off my server. The raiders I'm fine with. It's the boors I want gone.

Telaran

Default 1.8 "feelings" -- emotional experience changed

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyriel View Post
    it really is a mix of 1.8, gw2 betas and d3 andf summer that made my server feel like it lost ~60-70% of the population

pre 1.8 there were many pugs going around, instant adventures being full most of tprime times etc etc

now i am alone in ias, hardly and pugs, pre 50 dungeon and bg queques are extremely long etc etc
    it felt like 1.8 had the biggest negative impact tbh, and not d3 or the gw2 beta
    Agreed, I think 1.8 is the primary cause.

I look at what happened in the four of us who usually play together when we logged onto 1.8:

One took one look at the back of her toon's head, saw the waxy plastic mess in place of the hair she had carefully selected, went into mourning for the loss of her toons, and completely emotionally dissociated from the game. Logged off.

Another was furious about the hair, put costume hats on all her toons, went off to look at the new content, and (to oversimplify) got a "raid or fish" message (bringing back Jeff Kaplan's "raid or quit" message in WoW vanilla and BC) from the patch content, started having carpal tunnel symptoms from trying to fish, realized we had exhausted all the content in the game for our playstyle and 1.8 brought nothing new, and logged off.

Another found that his unique preferred playstyle with his class had been destroyed by the changes to that class, worked through a new spec and rotation, refined it on the dummies and in some Expert dungeon runs, got it technically working, decided it wasn't fun, and logged off.

I tried out the new crafting content, spent some crafter badges on the new recipes, made and equipped some seals, gave some to guildmates, sold some on the AH at reasonable (given mats cost) prices for folks in the community who didn't have the tradeskills. Not interested in fishing, don't raid, OK I've exhausted the new content, took me an hour or two, logged off.

Now let's think about what I just said: not only did 1.8 not have anything for the four of us, but gratuitous changes the devs made, in some cases stealth changes they won't acknowledge to this day, emotionally alienated 3 of the 4 of us from the game. And that's nothing compared to how nerfing HK made a lot of raiders feel. Or giving away top end badges right away for the daily 5-man.

Knowing how your customers will react to a change, or set of changes, is a business basic. Trion made a *lot* of changes in 1.8. Many of those changes had implications it seems Trion as a whole didn't comprehend. More importantly, it feels like no one was home thinking about the collective impact, everyone was off on their own little piece. i think the collective impact was that more than half the players were emotionally hit in a way that reduced their connection to the game. So they logged off.
    Last edited by Bheale; 05-24-2012 at 10:51 PM.

GW2 does not have tanks or healers, so why the hell would I want to play it? I love playing a tank and love been a healer, so if they dont offer that why is the big fuss about it? GW2 is starting to look more like a communist Utopia, everybody is the same, dress the same, eats the same, walks the same, dies the same, that is totally bull poopoo.
    There are not Powers above the Earth, on the Earth or beneath the Earth that can separate us from His love.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Kantazo View Post
    GW2 does not have tanks or healers, so why the hell would I want to play it? I love playing a tank and love been a healer, so if they dont offer that why is the big fuss about it? GW2 is starting to look more like a communist Utopia, everybody is the same, dress the same, eats the same, walks the same, dies the same, that is totally bull poopoo.
    I guess the irony of how homogenized and simplistic the four classes (and their souls) are in Rift, the lack of unique mechanics, etc is lost on you...
    Last edited by Flimble; 05-25-2012 at 09:27 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast