+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60

Thread: Macintosh left behind?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker Theodophilus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lynnwood,WA
    Posts
    2

    Lightbulb Macintosh left behind?

    So, I used to operate on a Window's computer, but I switched to a Macintosh computer several months ago. I've noticed that the System Requirements listed only the Windows operating systems, does this mean there will not be an initial Macintosh OS coding for the Rift game? I'm not too worried, I just want to know so I don't have to run off and buy a Windows-on-a-Mac program. I will do it if necessary, but if I don't have to it'd be nice. ;)

    Thanks!
    Theo

  2. #2
    Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Esloan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theodophilus View Post
    So, I used to operate on a Window's computer, but I switched to a Macintosh computer several months ago. I've noticed that the System Requirements listed only the Windows operating systems, does this mean there will not be an initial Macintosh OS coding for the Rift game? I'm not too worried, I just want to know so I don't have to run off and buy a Windows-on-a-Mac program. I will do it if necessary, but if I don't have to it'd be nice. ;)

    Thanks!
    Theo
    Unfortunately, for you Mac folks, there has been no indication of a Mac version at this time. Usually that means they do not have one planned, at least for the immediate future.

    Most devs are not shy to share when they have a Windows and Mac version, so if they have not done so yet, they probably are not making one.

    May want to look into Bootcamp.

  3. #3
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    I keep hearing about Bootcamp. I guess if I want my friend with a mac to join me, he'll have to use it. Oh well, hes a bit of a techie - he can deal I hope

  4. #4
    Shadowlander Helfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    30

    Default

    I too am a mac user and forced into this whole "Bootcamp it to play" reply. Honestly it sucks.
    Would love to tell window users that they will have to dual boot their systems to play their games!!!

    If you don't know, Bootcamp = Dual Boot. You will be setting up your mac to allow it to dual boot.

    While this allows you to play windows games within windows on your mac, its a poor excuse to give any mac user since many are moving from window due to virus problems. Nothing like trying to leave windows only to be forced back into it because game companies refuse to code in openGL. "Free and open standard and out preforms DirectX 10"

    Can only hope they code for it like a few other game "Eve Online, WoW, Portal, Torchlight". Or send it to an outsource to do it for them.

    I just cringe the day my windows side belly's up on me and I have to reformat it. It's a matter of time and a waste of time to have to reinstall all the games, vent, etc on the windows side. If the restore function for windows were like a mac, I wouldn't care.

  5. #5
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Raive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,918

    Default

    Play Rift on your iPad. Its innovative *nod*

    But in all seriousness, if you own a mac, no reason to not own a Windows desktop on the side. Why not have the best of both worlds?

  6. #6
    Ascendant Aurelie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    2,084

    Default

    It sounds logical to me that RIFT doesn't have support for MAC. Didn't WoW only have it long after their PC release? Every other MMO I played didn't have it. Join the dark side if you want to play^^.

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Helfire View Post
    I too am a mac user and forced into this whole "Bootcamp it to play" reply. Honestly it sucks.
    Would love to tell window users that they will have to dual boot their systems to play their games!!!

    If you don't know, Bootcamp = Dual Boot. You will be setting up your mac to allow it to dual boot.

    While this allows you to play windows games within windows on your mac, its a poor excuse to give any mac user since many are moving from window due to virus problems. Nothing like trying to leave windows only to be forced back into it because game companies refuse to code in openGL. "Free and open standard and out preforms DirectX 10"

    Can only hope they code for it like a few other game "Eve Online, WoW, Portal, Torchlight". Or send it to an outsource to do it for them.

    I just cringe the day my windows side belly's up on me and I have to reformat it. It's a matter of time and a waste of time to have to reinstall all the games, vent, etc on the windows side. If the restore function for windows were like a mac, I wouldn't care.
    Since Windows 95 I think I have reinstalled two or maybe 3 times (and of course a couple upgrades). For certain I've only installed XP on my home PC twice (in like 10 years?). I have had ONE virus infection in all those years and it was Nimda picked up from my brother's PC way back when. I have never once installed antivirus at home.

    So, if you ask me, the majority of malware infections are due to user error :P Safe browsing habits FTW!

    Some simple tips to avoid having to reinstall windows:

    1) Don't use Internet Explorer when you don't have to. It is not that IE is less secure than other browsers, but it still has the largest market share and thus is the most targeted by malicious software. Personally I use Google's Chrome browser.
    2) Don't click banner ads; they are evil. If you see an ad for a product and are interested, google it.
    3) Email attachments are responsible for a very very large percentage of virus spreading. Be careful what you open! If you don't know who it is from, delete it (prior to opening the attachment). If it is from your friend who is reformatting his machine every week because he loves his p o r n, delete it.
    4) p o r n sites... I don't think it really needs to be said, but p o r n sites carry as much disease as the toothless prostitutes on the corner. I won't give advice on how to safely get your p o r n though (I do get paid to remove viruses after all)
    5) Antivirus software. Most of it sucks. If you are using the free Trend Micro, McAfee, F-secure, or whatever other garbage your ISP was nice enough to give you for signing up, do yourself a huge favor and uninstall it. Try Microsoft's free Security Essentials. It won't degrade performance nearly as bad as most and has good detection rates. If you are spending money on antivirus, you are doing it wrong.
    6) If you think (or know) your machine is infected, do something about it! There is a wealth of information out there that can help you clean up your system. Start windows in safe mode and run malwarebytes/security essentials. This 10 minutes of work will completely clean over 90% of machines (personal guestimate)
    7) Run your security updates! Windows, Java, Adobe Reader, etc. There are actually quite a few little software germs floating around that take advantage of vulnerabilities in java and adobe software. It isn't always Microsoft's fault.
    Last edited by Thalan; 09-07-2010 at 06:09 AM. Reason: improper censoring

  8. #8
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Indiana USA
    Posts
    8

    Default

    In like the 10 years I have had this pc, I never had a virus. I also don't run an anti-virus program. If you are smart PC is just as safe as mac. Imo pc is better anyways ( and yes before you flame me for saying that I do own both.) Most games are targeted for windows users because pc is more game friendly. If Rift isn't coming out on mac, just bootcamp it and enjoy. XD

  9. #9
    Ascendant Aurelie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    2,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Funshine View Post
    In like the 10 years I have had this pc, I never had a virus.
    Never had a virus on my PC ever, never had an anti-virus program either. No idea where people pick them all up^^.

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple LordMorgoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelie View Post
    It sounds logical to me that RIFT doesn't have support for MAC. Didn't WoW only have it long after their PC release? Every other MMO I played didn't have it. Join the dark side if you want to play^^.
    Truth. There just aren't many (if any) mmorpgs out there that launch with both a pc and mac client. All developers want the biggest market the fastest, and when it comes to gaming, that aint the Mac. Maybe there will be one someday, but likely not until well after the game launches on PC. Til then, bootcamp.

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple Purities's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Littleton, Co
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theodophilus View Post
    ...I've noticed that the System Requirements listed only the Windows operating systems, does this mean there will not be an initial Macintosh OS coding for the Rift game?
    The reason it will not run on Macs is because it uses DirectX as the graphics API. DirectX is owned and maintained by Microsoft.

    If the game's graphics engine was made based off of OpenGL it'd be a different story. OpenGL - as the name implies - is an open source API.

    If you want to know why DirectX was used over OpenGL you'd have to ask the devs but I can give you my experience between the two. It's much easier to get to the roots of DirectX, OpenGL has a friendlier interface but DirectX allows you to get to direct access to the devices used in rendering. Also DirectX is class based, OpenGL is still a C-based library (unless they went to OpenGL 3.0 which is still untested on a large scale). The last issue is distribution. DirectX update? Go to Microsoft which'll update what's needed. OpenGL? ummm... the users are on their own or Trion'll have to figure out how to get the updates to the users.

    EDIT:
    I've also found DirectX capable of much better rendering overall. OpenGL is able to do most of the advanced rendering (with the help of different add ons) but it's still behind DirectX.
    Last edited by Purities; 09-07-2010 at 06:57 AM.
    No, I'm not a Purifier. I'm a Paladin!

  12. #12
    Ascendant Aurelie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    2,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ignitus View Post
    Code:
         Are you gay
          ---------     
         /         \
       Yes         No
        |          |
       Mac         PC
    Linux = Bi?

  13. #13
    Rift Chaser Sojiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelie View Post
    It sounds logical to me that RIFT doesn't have support for MAC. Didn't WoW only have it long after their PC release? Every other MMO I played didn't have it. Join the dark side if you want to play^^.
    If I recall correctly Blizzard also had a mac version at release. They always release games for both Mac and Windows for as long as I can remember.

    Now that is one dedicated developer of which many company's can learn from.

  14. #14
    Rift Chaser Automaticzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ignitus View Post
    Code:
         Are you gay
          ---------     
         /         \
       Yes         No
        |          |
       Mac         PC
    Hey, let's drop the insults.

    On topic, I believe they're only coding for the PC at this time, having built it from the ground up on that platform. Most of the other games mentioned in original post had Mac client that launched far later than the original PC client. Valve is doing some good work on being able to port over, but I believe that's Source engine only.

    So I think you're in for a waiting game.

    Most MMO forums wars are over the Game vs World divide. Which side are you on?

  15. #15
    Rift Disciple Purities's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Littleton, Co
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sojiro View Post
    If I recall correctly Blizzard also had a mac version at release. They always release games for both Mac and Windows for as long as I can remember.

    Now that is one dedicated developer of which many company's can learn from.
    The reason Blizzard releases on both is because they use OpenGL.

    If you want to know why developers pick DirectX over OpenGL look at the graphgics. Total Annihilation looks better and has more display options than Star Craft 2 does. Heck you can easily argue DAoC looks better than WoW.
    No, I'm not a Purifier. I'm a Paladin!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts