Closed Thread
Page 38 of 96 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 48 88 ... LastLast
Like Tree318Likes

Thread: GW2: Will it live up to the Hype? Or Overhyped?

Quote Originally Posted by Salamol View Post
    I couldn't play this weekend, were there any lag issues at all?

Glad you liked it =)
    Trading post lagged a bit Sunday afternoon, but not as bad as last BWE. Didn't notice any game lag.
    Noco@Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by Kantazo View Post
    The bad: Crafting, too many items are needed just to do 1 single recipe and too many of the same items are required for a single recipe,
    This is a good thing--it creates a market for crafting mats (by requiring dropped components in addition to harvested) and raises the bar a bit for entry into crafting

Harvesting: Very few nodes of mineral and very few plants or trees to collect
    Unlike most games, nodes are usable by everyone. It makes sense that there would be fewer, since there is no competition for them. Additionally, a good number of your mats come from containers (random goody bags that mobs drop), salvage items and salvaging gear.

The ugly: Combat: Dodge is very buggy, sometimes work, sometimes dont, when you managed to get it to work, you cannot use it too many times because you run out of energy??? That is dumb, energy to be able to dodge? Specially when the whole combat system is based on Dodging? wow dude.
    Dodge isn't buggy, you just have to take into account how dodge works and where you're dodging to. For example, you dodge farther when you dodge downhill or on a flat surface vs trying to dodge up a hill. Energy use keeps dodge from becoming a fast-movement mechanic, keeps dodge from becoming the bunny-hopping of GW2 PvP and forces players to prioritize what they dodge and only dodge the big attacks. The whole combat system is not based on dodging.

Death: You have to pay to teleport to the nearest TP place when you die for good, did anyone in the dev team thought about that players may run out of money and not been able to TP and must wait until some charitable soul comes and revives you? What if you are located the dense jungle of Pali-Pali surrounded by dangerous mobs, who is going to revive you then?
    There are free teleport spots in the major cities. If you don't have what, 9 copper? to rez somewhere close, you deserve to rez far away.

if you decide to be a cook, you are totally screwed. The recipes require so many ingredients that is totally absurd and the ingredients you can buy from the NPC are way overpriced.
    Which is why you buy from other players on the global market. Set a buy order and set your price 1 copper above the next highest, you'll get whatever you need in a couple minutes.

Another issue, the dodging should not consume energy, that is dumb, dodging is the only way you have to escape an enemy attack, believe me, I tried jumping, running, backpedaling and didnt work.
    You can avoid most of the "wind-up" attacks without using the dodge ability, but you have to react much more quickly.
    Noco@Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by Shintu View Post
    Also...if you used double tap to dodge that could be part of the problem
    assisgn it a key and use that...helped me a ton
    Yes, that is the main problem, someone mentioned to me to use the "V" key for Dodge. Will have to wait until next Beta to check that out.
    The biggest problem with that is that you will always dodge backwards if you use the keybind dodge. It's not always in your best interest to dodge back, especially if you prefer to melee or don't have a ranged option up.
    Noco@Wolfsbane

The 2nd beta weekend was my 2nd round of playing it. I had alot of fun, and stuck with one toon this time (My Engineer). My girlfriend (Ranger) and I decided to sit on one toon & go through as much content/zones as possible to check out whats available (PVE wise). I'm glad they let our toons from the previous beta to be used again.

Definatly noticable is the population difference between the higher level zones to the starter zones. Events in the starter zones are just comeing and going, while in the higher lvl zones, events will be sitting there for awhile slowly progressing due to lack of people but still getting done. The human zone event with the dark giant shadow boss was perty cool, needing ALOT of people due to makeing portals that spawn waves of mobs until the 3 portals were closed then going back to burning down the boss. We had to kill maybe 3-4 waves of portals but was alot of fun & getting the big chest with loot (& cake, literally). The norn area had a ice event that an ice shaman becomes some ice golem that summons blizzard tornadoes that spun around as people were scattering to avoid them as ice fell from the sky just trying to burn him as fast as possible.

Through out each zone if explored carefully, we were actually finding jumping "puzzles" that actually had chests/skill points/points of interest at the end of them. Having to jump and fight our way to the top of a crumbling wall for a skill point was the one i remember most. It was a large/long way to go but alot of fun once done and seeing so many others still climbing to get to the top.

We enjoyed the 2nd play through though, and even though we focused on doing content/zones we still didnt get to every bit the beta offered.

Talking about the dodge in the posts above... I keybound mine so its there right when i need it the most(instead of accidently double tapping move & then fall off a wall while doing a jump puzzle...ANYWHO ). The default dodge direction is backwards but all the time i was pushing W,A,D for where i wanted to be for those big heavy hitter abilitys that were perty obvious after taking a couple hits to learn the timeing (The giant tree people that hit the ground to root you took awhile to learn the timeing)
    Last edited by samuszzz86; 06-11-2012 at 10:46 AM.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Random Walk Hypothesis View Post
    Did you ever play GW1? That game was terrible. Everything about it seemed awkward and forced. I'm passing on GW2 regardless of hype. That's not a "my MMO is better than yours" comment.

Ok I lied, my MMO is better than anything that the people that brought you GW1 can produce.
    Your irrational prejudice is showing. I played GW1 also, and hated it, but that was years ago. I played GW2 and was blown away. GW2 is fun and challenging. Unless you have played GW2 you probably aren't qualified to comment on the game.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by -Swag- View Post
    Trading post lagged a bit Sunday afternoon, but not as bad as last BWE. Didn't notice any game lag.
    I never noticed any lag on my server although I heard someone in chat complaining about it. So it might not be a game issue as much as an ISP issue.

General of Telara

My biggest gripe about the beta was my character when he was talking to another NPC in the "Work in Progress" screen. His eyes seemed to float around in his head, sometimes they looked like they would crossed, and it kind of made the character look like a loon. I found it very disconcerting.

I know seems minor but the little things stick with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamol View Post
    I couldn't play this weekend, were there any lag issues at all?

Glad you liked it =)

Guild was out there all weekend. There were at least a half dozen times when there was a very large event going on (constant mob spawning in waves, champions, huge amounts of effects flying around) and not a single trace of lag.

We finally got lag during the special closing event when everybody was piled into the same zone in almost the same location (overflow servers were working). At one point, there were probably close to 150-200 people in one spot and the lag was definitely noticeable, but amazingly, did not affect our playing the way we thought it should.

We walked away from some rigorous testing with a few more concerns about PvE endgame content (Rift got old in about 3-6 months), understanding that WvW is where it's at. But we also understand that ArenaNet pushes a lot of content.

The character depth through the continued storylines continues to be compelling. Grouping for those and being able to watch stories unfold for other players was incredibly captivating as well. We got to experience a story from 3 different perspectives, with interweaving information. It was well done. Don't know if that would get old with re-rolls, but the humor in some of those is worth seeing again.

My guildmate had no problem with the crafting whatsoever. Upshot from that was: for someone who had only seen WoW's simplistic crafting, GW2's crafting might seem a bit offputting, but compared to the complexity of say, EQ2's original crafting or LotRO's, not a problem at all.

We enjoyed using the Mystic Forge and created some interesting items. That was a nice touch. No crafting profession required.

As far as dodging: works wonders when saved for those "epic" fights when you need to get out of the red circles of doom. Moving sideways and strafing also works, without having to use the big energy "guzzler" - that's from someone who ended up playing a warrior most of the weekend.

Had no problems with dodge or strafe. Then, I love the way GW2 has combat set up. I feel more like I'm actually "playing" in an interactive (pvp-style-way), than just standing there inside an MMO character.

And there were times when I made a choice to actually just stand there with enough toughness to deal with a bit of hits. /shrug. I didn't have energy problems.

There were a few other minor concerns we had. The new tier system for traits was a change that we wanted to test more. We were a bit concerned about how quickly leveling was occurring.

Overall, despite a few misgivings (which ALL MMO's have... unless you're a blind fanboi), we found nothing (yet) to put us off from calling GW2 our new "home".

So far GW2 has the content we are looking for. Which sadly Rift does not. We'd like to stay with Rift. Trion has told us loud and clear that we aren't Rift's target audience.

-Looking forward to either more testing, or release.
    Last edited by Goldenwing; 06-11-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    *My guild was looking (in Rift) for engaging, meaningful additional outdoor endgame that is inclusive, dynamic, community-oriented, scaling, and strategic -- Real outdoor, persistent-world challenges that require thought, strategy, and cooperation.*
    Outdoor RvE for both PvE & PvP

Oh and yes, I have dodge bound to a separate key.

There needs to be a modicum of judgement about when and where to use it.

You CAN dodge off a cliff, or off a ramp and find yourself in a worse situation ( I admit to being stuck in a storyline instance when I dodged backwards off a wooden ramp and found myself in a lake of mobs and no way back up... lol)

However, it also fun to watch someone else dodge backwards down a hill in the midst of WvW and then jump onto them!

Also: fall damage is nicely tuned down in GW2.
    Last edited by Goldenwing; 06-11-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    *My guild was looking (in Rift) for engaging, meaningful additional outdoor endgame that is inclusive, dynamic, community-oriented, scaling, and strategic -- Real outdoor, persistent-world challenges that require thought, strategy, and cooperation.*
    Outdoor RvE for both PvE & PvP

Ascendant

Oh and how cool was that end of Beta event this time? Massive Dragon, open world pvp!, new abilities if you died and got changed to the "Shatterer's Faction". Those crazy Devourer mobs. Arenanet did a much better job with the end of beta event this time.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    Oh and how cool was that end of Beta event this time? Massive Dragon, open world pvp!, new abilities if you died and got changed to the "Shatterer's Faction". Those crazy Devourer mobs. Arenanet did a much better job with the end of beta event this time.
    GW1 always had the best seasonal events, so I'm not surprised :P

Quote Originally Posted by Falconium View Post
    I can't get into Guild Wars 2. I've tried PvE, PvP, and WvW and it just turns me off. The combat, the graphic style, the difficulty scaling, the character progression system, the classes (Couldn't find a single one I liked to play), and the huge necessity of a massive group in WvW.

I regret buying it, but I guess some people enjoy that kind of game. I've had more fun in Rift's starting zones than I did all of the last weekend event for Guild Wars 2.
    Contact customer support for a refund.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1150061&dateline=1300  793703

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    You were lucky then. On my server, the event started 35 minutes later then announced. So we only had 5 minutes to participate befor the servers cut us off. Never saw the dragon.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1150061&dateline=1300  793703

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom D View Post
    You were lucky then. On my server, the event started 35 minutes later then announced. So we only had 5 minutes to participate befor the servers cut us off. Never saw the dragon.
    Yea I was on GBTV watching/listening to their stream. Their overflow server started about 15 minutes after mine. And it took awhile before the dragon/Devourer appeared. The dragon never showed up on the ground though, he just flew around spitting crystals on the ground that spawned minions. If the minions killed you you became a minion of the Shatterer (thats the dragon, he's a zone event boss in a later zone, 50's I think). Anyways you got new abilities and everything when you transformed and you could attack other players. So it was this crazy sort of PVP mix. The sad thing is that I think the event was supposed to be sort of like a boss fight. Because you had a level 80 champion (Rytlock) and the Shatterer's minion had a level 80 champion (Devourer), I presume the intent was that they meet and fight, but far as I know it never happened on any server. I almost wonder if this will actually be a world event at some point. It seemed they spent way to much time on it for it to be some sort of one off.

The whole event was very reminscent of the PVP event in Rift's Anniversary World Event. But on a much crazier scale. It even had a mechanic where the opposing side would take over a waypoint, like enemies take over wardstones in Rift.
    Last edited by Khelendross; 06-12-2012 at 03:53 AM.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

GW2 is not a bad game, graphics are awesome, will I quit RIFT to only play GW2, NO!!! Both games can coexist without a problem, GW2 you can let it sit for a while and then dust it off and play some more.

I got bored after a while because of the lack of a quest chain, there is only 1 main quest chain and the rest are just social quests that force you to join people to play, quests that when they are finished dont open anything else, just done and move on.
    There are not Powers above the Earth, on the Earth or beneath the Earth that can separate us from His love.

Closed Thread
Page 38 of 96 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 48 88 ... LastLast