Closed Thread
Page 36 of 96 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 86 ... LastLast
Like Tree318Likes

Thread: GW2: Will it live up to the Hype? Or Overhyped?

Quote Originally Posted by Kantazo View Post
    I would like a game similar to the movie Avatar, where you could interact with your surroundings, specially the flying part. love that. But I am afraid by the time those VR are fully available, me is going to be too old to even be able to bend.
    It's ok though! The Avatar... umm... machine doesn not require you to bend! Unfortunately, like in Gamer, they do require real life bodies to inhabit... I imagine the subscription fee would be through the roof!

To keep it on topic... I'd love to be able to run around as a Charr... the speed and power would be incredible... and those machines they have available in the Charr city would be amazing to ride around in!

GW2 is a different kind of game, that is the main reason why I dislike it, it is not that is a bad game, it is just so awkward.

It is going to take a lot of time to figure it out. I am not fond of it as it is right now, and I am going to wait before shelling $60.

If it does not collapse like SWTOR then I may give it a try when they have a free to try offer.
    There are not Powers above the Earth, on the Earth or beneath the Earth that can separate us from His love.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    ... for a couple of weeks until the same people who say the above get the newness out of their system. Rift's expansion will be out either before or about the same time GW2 releases. Anime games only last so long in the Western market.
    you don't really know what anime is if you think that gw2 has an anime style

I've either worked on or played MMOs since 1991 and they all follow the same general pattern. A whole lot of people buy a game and a whole lot of people quit it soon thereafter. Even WoW has sold a lot more boxes than they have active accounts. GW2 will be no different than any other MMO or game on the market. To expect any different is a little bit closed-minded.

GW2 uses a different formula than other MMOs. People who like MMOs for deep character customization and character development aren't going to stay with GW2 long-term. It just doesn't have those mechanics. The game gives every class the same skills and in PvP, the same gear. It is a purely casual MMO designed directly for the casual gamer and for the instant gratification gamers (PvPers, younger gamers with limited and sporadic play habits).

I'm not saying it won't do well... but a non-sub game makes more than 80% of its annual revenue in the first month the game launches. That's why they're delaying it until it is refined and finished. Games like GW2 often run with a much, much smaller design team. Therefore, the overwhelming majority of content is released at launch with less overall content delivery between expansions.

Those are just the simple facts. Many players will like it... many of them will still stop playing after a month or two like they do in every game ever made since Pong. Games are not a religion and they're not a family relationship. People can and do quit them at the drop of a hat.
    seriously dude, you are clueless beyond imagination

gw2 doesn't have deep character customization?
    where are you pulling that from? (beside the obvious answer)
    in gw2 you have many story quests that revolve around your character and the background you have chosen for him. rift does not even remotely compair to that.

Please point me the deep character development of rift. is it some monotone quest grind? is it some monotone rep grind? The typical leveling and getting skills? is that deep and involving for you?
    funny story

you haven't played the game, have you? every class is given the same skills? seriously dude, you are embarassing yourself.

what it comes to i that you are in some aspects stating the obvious (gw2 will have a different formula, not 100% of all who buy it will be active, o really sherlock) mixed with clueless and absurd statements.

i can't even take anything you write remotely serious anymore

and i don't even know why you bring up rifts expansion.

you claimed that you will quit because of it, besides, the expansion has a high chance of being overseen by the players if it relases around the same time as gw2

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyriel View Post

in gw2 you have many story quests that revolve around your character and the background you have chosen for him. rift does not even remotely compair to that.

Please point me the deep character development of rift. is it some monotone quest grind? is it some monotone rep grind? The typical leveling and getting skills? is that deep and involving for you?
    funny story

you haven't played the game, have you? every class is given the same skills? seriously dude, you are embarassing yourself.

what it comes to i that you are in some aspects stating the obvious (gw2 will have a different formula, not 100% of all who buy it will be active, o really sherlock) mixed with clueless and absurd statements.

Ok, first off, I'll say a person who can't carry a modicum of a civil discussion without resorting to child-like name calling is more or less saying, "I can't have a civil discussion at the adult level, so please, ignore everything I have to say."

It's obvious you're treating a game like a religion (or a drug addiction), hence the illogically perceived insult that resulted in said child-like irrational call to defense.

I'm going to try my best to lower my vernacular and speak in a dialect you can understand so hopefully I can get my point across civilly:

u relize that wen u pick class in gw2 that when u get a wepin that it give u all ur skills for that wepin rite? Then u no that u r like a lot of other mesmers that have the same wepin. In rift my skills r not bound to my wepin. I can be a chloro/pyro/lock, a pyro/lock/ele, an ele/pyro/archon, an archon/lock/ele, a sc/ele/pyro... All that is diffrunt. It give kustimizashin.

In manestreem MMOs, deep characature customization comes in many forms. Class variety, intra-class variashun, visual/wardrobe appearance, and many udder things. in Rift, one mage is often
    not the same as any udder mage. They look diffrint, they haves diffrint soul selekshuns, and such. In GW2, a rogue wit a bow is a rogue wit a bow. They do same thing all the time. that not very diverse.

In PvP battlegrounds, all classes have same gears. It not diffrent. that mean it the same. GW2 is pvp heavy. doing them quests is coo and all but when they end the end game is pvp and if u look at almost every mmo and server there is then u know dat pve servers is always bigger than pvp servers so since gw2 is pvp focus without even any raids then u can guess that maybe it might not get as many people becuz we all know pvperz don't stay wit games very long anyway because they r never happy and insult ppl all the time and it make ppl not want 2 play wit them very much.

Soz, gw2 will be good game for casuals who like 2 play a little. It is pvp focus endgame like gw1. that's chill and all but genre wide, pvp not as popular as pve.

now back 2 indeep characture customizationing. Quests n such don't work for that. They just means to an end. Eventually quests end then end game starts. I like hats and robes and pants and boots and gloves and I like them red or blue or black or white or green and sometimes chartreuse! But that not make good depth if the only thing that makes my mesmer different than other mesmers using same wepin is the color of my blue suede hat wit jolly fedders in the brim. MMO players like 2 be diffrint. It kind like us as ppl. We dont dress all the same bcuz we like being uniquey. sum of us like shootering fareballs wit a big steek and sum of us like shootering lightning zips.

Characiture customizationary depth allows more vareeashun so we speshul flowers can be speshul. It got nuffin' to do wit questies and such.

As fur as total sereeiousnessity, i dun take u all dat sirius eeder bcuz when baby cry over stink diaper, dat meens they's a poo in da room. Sho 'nuff, sho 'nuff.

Ok, first off, I'll say a person who can't carry a modicum of a civil discussion without resorting to child-like name calling is more or less saying, "I can't have a civil discussion at the adult level, so please, ignore everything I have to say."

It's obvious you're treating a game like a religion (or a drug addiction), hence the illogically perceived insult that resulted in said child-like irrational call to defense.

I'm going to try my best to lower my vernacular and speak in a dialect you can understand so hopefully I can get my point across civilly:

u relize that wen u pick class in gw2 that when u get a wepin that it give u all ur skills for that wepin rite? Then u no that u r like a lot of other mesmers that have the same wepin. In rift my skills r not bound to my wepin. I can be a chloro/pyro/lock, a pyro/lock/ele, an ele/pyro/archon, an archon/lock/ele, a sc/ele/pyro... All that is diffrunt. It give kustimizashin.

In manestreem MMOs, deep characature customization comes in many forms. Class variety, intra-class variashun, visual/wardrobe appearance, and many udder things. in Rift, one mage is often
    not the same as any udder mage. They look diffrint, they haves diffrint soul selekshuns, and such. In GW2, a rogue wit a bow is a rogue wit a bow. They do same thing all the time. that not very diverse.

In PvP battlegrounds, all classes have same gears. It not diffrent. that mean it the same. GW2 is pvp heavy. doing them quests is coo and all but when they end the end game is pvp and if u look at almost every mmo and server there is then u know dat pve servers is always bigger than pvp servers so since gw2 is pvp focus without even any raids then u can guess that maybe it might not get as many people becuz we all know pvperz don't stay wit games very long anyway because they r never happy and insult ppl all the time and it make ppl not want 2 play wit them very much.

Soz, gw2 will be good game for casuals who like 2 play a little. It is pvp focus endgame like gw1. that's chill and all but genre wide, pvp not as popular as pve.

now back 2 indeep characture customizationing. Quests n such don't work for that. They just means to an end. Eventually quests end then end game starts. I like hats and robes and pants and boots and gloves and I like them red or blue or black or white or green and sometimes chartreuse! But that not make good depth if the only thing that makes my mesmer different than other mesmers using same wepin is the color of my blue suede hat wit jolly fedders in the brim. MMO players like 2 be diffrint. It kind like us as ppl. We dont dress all the same bcuz we like being uniquey. sum of us like shootering fareballs wit a big steek and sum of us like shootering lightning zips.

Characiture customizationary depth allows more vareeashun so we speshul flowers can be speshul. It got nuffin' to do wit questies and such.

As fur as total sereeiousnessity, i dun take u all dat sirius eeder bcuz when baby cry over stink diaper, dat meens they's a poo in da room. Sho 'nuff, sho 'nuff.

I am sending you a pm Laeris
    There are not Powers above the Earth, on the Earth or beneath the Earth that can separate us from His love.

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyriel View Post

funny story

I wouldnt worry to much about what Laeris (spelling?) has to say....hes just a self important blow hard who is all knowing and you are lucky that he will actually speak to an insect like you.
    Its easier to get what you want
    with a kind word and a gun
    then just a kind word--
    Al Capone

Interesting how in Rift, many of those class customization defining souls devolve down into raid-guild approved cookie cutter specs. The bane of every MMO. Not just for instanced raiding, but also PvP.

I suspect, in the end, that GW2 like every MMO before it, will also have "best practice" specs, especially in the E-Sport area. And I'm sure there will be constant discussions regarding specs for W v W.

"Play what you love... it will work better..."As someone who has advocated off-specs and hybrid specs that no one else would play but somehow can be effective when they "fit" the player's playstyle/approach/way of thinking... I am looking forward to the using the situational trait system to "customize" and provide character depth. Already have plans, using the trait calculator, to create multiple of different classes and knowing they will play differently.

Now, that is based only on what I have seen from GW's trait calculator, and experimenting with multiple variants at the low end in testing.

It could be that I am totally wrong about the depth being present via the choices made during combat - which appear to be a matrix of decisions based on traits/weapons - which can be swapped at will.

It could be that I will end up playing one limited set of specs ad nauseum, and will try to wield that specific set very "simplistically" yet effectively (see: full chloro solo healing 5-man MM.) (Not to mention my several tanks, and dps classes.)

So, in that sense, I feel GW2 and Rift could end up being similar. Overall, GW2 doesn't appear to be any better or worse in character customization than any other MMO I've played (I'll even ignore Rift's new "starter" templates for the Korean market at character creation.)

I know GW2 supporters could argue with me. I am willing to admit being wrong in both directions regarding better or worse.

As far as I am concerned, the customization depth is there... checkbox.

PS: traits are not the same as weapon/abilities: just to clarify for those that have not tested
    Last edited by Perignon; 06-05-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    What came out of this (WoW) is a subculture of raiders -- no one who had raided in previous games -- boors who can't even spell noblesse oblige, much less explain what it means.

I want the boors off my server. The raiders I'm fine with. It's the boors I want gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Shintu View Post
    I wouldnt worry to much about what Laeris (spelling?) has to say....hes just a self important blow hard who is all knowing and you are lucky that he will actually speak to an insect like you.
    he is hardly worth anyones time. he is walking Encyclopedia of BS-statements.

one time he says that he can't believe that there is a weapon called "masta-blasta" in swtor among other things. well turns out, there is no weapon with such a name in the game.

I actually shake my head and kinda... feel sorry for him.

*correction: GW2's trait calculator.
    What came out of this (WoW) is a subculture of raiders -- no one who had raided in previous games -- boors who can't even spell noblesse oblige, much less explain what it means.

I want the boors off my server. The raiders I'm fine with. It's the boors I want gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Perignon View Post
    Interesting how in Rift, many of those class customization defining souls devolve down into raid-guild approved cookie cutter specs. The bane of every MMO. Not just for instanced raiding, but also PvP.

I suspect, in the end, that GW2 like every MMO before it, will also have "best practice" specs, especially in the E-Sport area. And I'm sure there will be constant discussions regarding specs for W v W.

"Play what you love... it will work better..."As someone who has advocated off-specs and hybrid specs that no one else would play but somehow can be effective when they "fit" the player's playstyle/approach/way of thinking... I am looking forward to the using the situational trait system to "customize" and provide character depth. Already have plans, using the trait calculator, to create multiple of different classes and knowing they will play differently.

Now, that is based only on what I have seen from GW's trait calculator, and experimenting with multiple variants at the low end in testing.

It could be that I am totally wrong about the depth being present via the choices made during combat - which appear to be a matrix of decisions based on traits/weapons - which can be swapped at will.

It could be that I will end up playing one limited set of specs ad nauseum, and will try to wield that specific set very "simplistically" yet effectively (see: full chloro solo healing 5-man MM.) (Not to mention my several tanks, and dps classes.)

So, in that sense, I feel GW2 and Rift could end up being similar. Overall, GW2 doesn't appear to be any better or worse in character customization than any other MMO I've played (I'll even ignore Rift's new "starter" templates for the Korean market at character creation.)

I know GW2 supporters could argue with me. I am willing to admit being wrong in both directions regarding better or worse.

As far as I am concerned, the customization depth is there... checkbox.

PS: traits are not the same as weapon/abilities: just to clarify for those that have not tested

well, i love the soul system of rift, but the problem with it is that it duplicates so many skills, and in the end only a few builds are truly viable (i would love for mm to be as competitive as ranger for instance)

i was also pleasently surprised by diablo 3s skill system. at first i thought you were limited to the designated skill type (meaning you can only have 1 defensive, offensive, etc spell) but then someone told me that there is an option to turn that off and enable you to choose every spell you want in each slot. this ,along with the glyph system that changes spells, is really really well done in terms of it being really simple to understand, yet complex and deep for min maxers.

the fact that weapons determine half of your skills in gw2 is probably to add flavor to them, aswell as reduce the risk of "useless fail builds". i think it could additionally also benefit from a glyphing system, that kinda changes spells to your liking, but all in all i have to level my character further in this bwe to really get a feel for it. (played a few chars, and my highest is lvl 11, dont have many traits available yet)
    Last edited by Amethyriel; 06-05-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Perignon View Post
    I suspect, in the end, that GW2 like every MMO before it, will also have "best practice" specs, especially in the E-Sport area.
    Are they still pushing forward with the E-Sport thing? When I first heard, I thought it was great... HoH and GvG were always fun to watch and take part in - I could see how it could have worked. They seem to have removed both of those though, and we're left with a Team Arena (imo the most boring kind!) with 5 players instead of 4.

Well! There is a fair bit more than just that, to be fair. You are right - some skills are bound to your weapon. However, that doesn't necessarily make it a one-dimensional affair. Half of your skills are a fully customizable thing and many of these skills further receive benefits from your traits. The trait system itself is quite similar to Rift's class system in that it has quite a bit of variation to it. It doesn't have as much detail as Rift's, but I feel that helps streamline things rather nicely; for all the customization options in Rift, there is usually a lot of convergence onto one or two specs that are the most effective.

How different is your 51 Chloromancer from any others? There are a few possible variations, as you might recall from my mentioning another Chloromancer's spec that deviates away from the Warlock-thing, because of the 4-piece HK bonus. But those are small, optimisation issues, rather than broad-sweeping customisations. At the end of the day, you're still going to be throwing out a lot of Void Life. Is that doing the same thing? Is that terribly diverse?

Not entirely true. The instanced PvP is like that - you're given normalised gear across the board. My comparison would be to DCUO's Legends PvP. However, there is more to it than that; namely, the Server vs Server vs Server PvP.

Other than that, I'm not entirely sure where you're trying to go with this point. You're certainly right that people will bugger off after awhile... that's nothing that any MMO can prevent. But, I'm not entirely sure why that should affect my enjoyment of the game?

In your own words, a good MMO has things that can occupy your time with. Collecting artifacts, going for achievements, that sort've thing. From what I've seen, Guild Wars 2 does feature many things to keep you busy; my favourite so far is the cooking crafting... where there is a big variety of recipes that are hidden from you and are based on real-world equivalents. That is, you have to experiment with ingredients to find some of these.

While your supposition is, overall, quite true, another thing to keep in mind is that you seem to be basing this idea on server populations. A big reason that people don't appreciate PvP servers in games like Rift, is because they don't want to be ganked while leveling up! Without Factions in GW2, you won't have this issue. It's also worth reinforcing the idea that there is PvE in the game and it seems like there's been a good deal of effort put into this facet.

The PvP is what appeals to me, however.

Yes, yes, see above you special flower, you. There's quite a bit of meaty depth to the game and the customisation that would mean your Mesmer would be quite different from other Mesmers. Your Mesmer can specialise in debuffing and buffing, stealth, defense, etc.

In short, you should go get the game already and join me in the Beta Weekend coming up, nub.
    Abbess, Petals of Mariel-Taun
    Avatar provided kindly by Cakuu! <3

I told you nooooo once, twice, three times a lady! And, I think it is funny how Amethyriel remembers that Masta Blasta Rayner troll. Good old days!

I told you nooooo once, twice, three times a lady! And, I think it is funny how Amethyriel remembers that Masta Blasta Rayner troll. Good old days!
    props for spelling my nick right, Laesri

Closed Thread
Page 36 of 96 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 86 ... LastLast