+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Problem

Default The Problem

There is no solution.

The problem with games is that the developers don't care about making a challenging game... because it won't sell as well as an easy game. When every ADD 11 year old who can't sit still for 10 minutes or every 50 year old who can't manage to stay ahead of his global cooldowns is willing to pay - They will accommodate them.

Suddenly, you can do instances in those 10 minutes. Suddenly, you don't need to hit your abilities as they come off GCD and maximize your dps, threat output, or healing capability in order to succeed. Suddenly, you don't need to be good at pvp in order to get the good gear. Suddenly, the hardest raid encounter involves not standing in the "bad places" and switching targets to the higher priority...

Nowadays, you don't need to be able to play in order to join the team... Because everyone is a special snowflake and deserves to play.

The only challenging part of a game now is that you attract the kind of people that aren't able to do it. You get people in a game that aren't smart enough or don't care enough to be good at.

Then you, alone, are standing there looking at a dead raid that failed because somebody didn't know how to NOT leave the flame wreath. You, alone, are standing there looking at your dead arena partner because of RNG that you can't blame him or yourself for. You, alone, are sitting at the top of a vast basin watching your "comrades" struggle in a battle at the threshold of a great bridge... When their objective is being lost right behind them... under their oblivious, sniveling, little noses.

Then, you hear it. That deafening cry of contemptible filth... The cry of somebody who wants to blame anything and everything (except themselves) for their own failure. The people who try and glorify themselves when they chance upon an "accomplishment." The people who will always claim that "skill", and "skill" alone, are the only reasons they were able to succeed and you were not.

People don't want to pay money and then get picked last... Nor do they want to pay money and then have to try and get better.

These are the people your developers make games for. These are the people that, effectively, "make" your games. People who don't care about logic, reason, or fairness because they're paying money. This is why your games suck.

You will be hardpressed to find developers for a good game. These would have to be people that value their own abilities more than they value money. These would have to be people that would rather make a good game than get more money out of it. These would have to be artisans.
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz 6MB Cache Quad-Core
    Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    8GB 1600MHz RAM
    120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II

The Solution.

Make your own game.

OK... so like first i was...

http://trollcats.com/wp-content/uplo...r_trollcat.JPG

Then I was like, I read it now...
    and i got all

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Lolwut_cat.jpg

but after I read it I was like

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l1...bn8to1_500.jpg

As usual, Belenos sums it all up nicely.

Or it can be made by a developer who does not care if they are the #1 population MMO out there.... keeping #1 in population requires giving into alot of popular demands ... if your target audiance isnt... well everyone ... you can actually make a good game... remember in Classic WoW when its target audiance was anyone who enjoyed blizzard games and MMOs? yeah.... probably not that was over 6 years ago now... if RIFT keeps a gaming demographic instead of an EVERYONE Demographic they can do alot more without having to bend to the gimme gimme crowd..

-Ardure

Quote Originally Posted by Irascible View Post
    There is no solution.

You will be hardpressed to find developers for a good game. These would have to be people that value their own abilities more than they value money. These would have to be people that would rather make a good game than get more money out of it. These would have to be artisans.
    I've put all my faith in independent companies, personally. But I do have a good feeling for Rift. Whether or not it will last post-release is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfungus View Post
    I've put all my faith in independent companies, personally. But I do have a good feeling for Rift. Whether or not it will last post-release is the question.
    Whether or not we're killing the baby before it's born is the question. Too much speculation. of this sort. instead of things like theory crafting, or contributing to wikis, or helping the people who don't know what they're doing figure it out, so that they pass expertise on sooner. Of course not every one will learn, but some will. I was one of those folks. first mmo experience was EQ2 launch. But I asked questions, and as soon as I saw someone in chat ask the same thing, I'd answer, if I'd found out.

Irascible, yer a soldier. I can tell especially now even though I'd seen it in another thread. I remember your sentiments in basic, about soldiers who 'just didn't get it,' and beyond with slackjaws in our unit. You still have to work together, right?
    Last edited by Theskal; 01-20-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Awww... I love the special snowflakes though!
    Trolls and Fan Bois and Haxxors... oh my!

Soulwalker

There is no solution.

Suddenly, you can do instances in those 10 minutes. Suddenly, you don't need to hit your abilities as they come off GCD and maximize your dps, threat output, or healing capability in order to succeed. Suddenly, you don't need to be good at pvp in order to get the good gear. Suddenly, the hardest raid encounter involves not standing in the "bad places" and switching targets to the higher priority...

The only challenging part of a game now is that you attract the kind of people that aren't able to do it. You get people in a game that aren't smart enough or don't care enough to be good at.

Then you, alone, are standing there looking at a dead raid that failed because somebody didn't know how to NOT leave the flame wreath. You, alone, are standing there looking at your dead arena partner because of RNG that you can't blame him or yourself for. You, alone, are sitting at the top of a vast basin watching your "comrades" struggle in a battle at the threshold of a great bridge... When their objective is being lost right behind them... under their oblivious, sniveling, little noses.
    Dude, i read your post but to me you seem someone who fails @ pvp and blames someone else for it.
    And even if the dev's made this game like uberhard then still you would have noobs who don't know how to play so..better get some points that make sense.

or every 50 year old who can't manage to stay ahead of his global cooldowns
    I haven't read past that yet,

but that's dang funny.

Challenging in an MMO has different meanings for different people.

Some people equate challanging as being more twitch oriented but many people say that if they want twitch they'll get on their console. Others equate challenging as having a "difficult" puzzle to solve but with internet sites that spell out the solution that becomes pointless. Still others - I'm talking to you old school EQ'ers - equate challenging as staying in one spot for days waiting for the Giant Pink Ringworm to spawn but more gamers now have lives that preclude doing that.

Game developers need to decide what segment of the market they want to attract, understand what that segment is looking for and deliver THAT. If you think that there is a vast untapped market of people who want a gaming experience that you would find ideal, start a company and deliver that game. Cuz that would be a challenge.

+ Reply to Thread