+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: I want to be a dev when I'm older!

Default I want to be a dev when I'm older!

I'm just about to make my chooses for 3rd year at high school and I'm wondering if the rift community could help me.

As I said in the title I'd like to be a computer game develeper :3 (My dream job is to work for rift!)

I've had a look at the job offers for the rift studios and you need to be really highly qulified to apply there. Does this mean it's hard to get a job as a games develper? :s

Some questions:

1. What subjects are game companies looking for from a possible develeper?
    2. Can you suggest and good college or university corses?
    3. Any other advice for someone looking at going into this field of work?

[Edit: sorry for any spelling misstakes -_-]
    Last edited by thoroar; 03-15-2012 at 03:29 PM.
    Capes
    Cloaks

Thoroar - Narcissia - Ricroar - Swimella
    I'm @Icewatch, /hug me!

I wish i've done the same when i was younger, why oh why did i choose engineering xD

Goodluck.
    Last edited by Byona; 03-15-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    See you all in Wildstar!

Quote Originally Posted by Byona View Post
    Goodluck.
    Thank you! :P
    I'll need it when juggling homeowork and raiding :3
    Capes
    Cloaks

Thoroar - Narcissia - Ricroar - Swimella
    I'm @Icewatch, /hug me!

I follow a forum that has a fair number of devs from all kinds of companies and games who post. Not long ago, one of the devs linked a site he's working on to help folks looking to figure out how to get into the games industry. He's got some guidelines and blogs covering topics the folks on the other forum suggested.

http://www.ineedtomakegames.com/

Telaran

I am not a Dev OP, but what I can tell you is that Developing a game such as this requires all kinds of different talent.

You really need to ask yourself what is it that you want to do? Do you want to be the one creating the animations? Drawing the art?

Do you want to build the engines, fix bugs (cause you like challenges), and other code related things like UI and macros?

Or would you like to be a level designer, maybe even an environmental artist? There are many different areas to focus on frankly. Don't be scared off by the sheer number of prequalifications for the jobs you saw btw. Many companies offer internships for you.

As for colleges, well there are probably quite a few. One I know if is called FullSail University (kind of expensive), and there are plenty of colleges and universities that offer two year to four year programs in a field you could focus on in order to become good at what you want to do.

Ask lots of questions, drive your guidance counselor crazy, but don't stop taking that risk to make your dream a reality!

I wish i've done the same when i was younger, why oh why did i choose engineering xD

Goodluck.
    lol +1

My advice, dont worry about your dreams, study finance and banking.

But in all seriousness a lot of devs that I know of got their jobs by reputation. ie they created their own addon, own website, own models, own viruses :P own whatever etc etc. Set yourself apart by initiate and not a certificate. Thats not to say that education is a was of time but its only an additional tool to equip you with a skills set to set you apart from others.
    Additional advice, self education, self motivation, have a vision, execution.
    Chrish @ Wolfsbane

Prophet of Telara ChainsawPlankton's Avatar

Goodluck.
    probably so you could get a real job
    everything an engineer knows is probably enough to over qualify you for a game design job

my personal advice is go pick up a book on making games, see if you like it or not. I picked up this one a while back. http://www.apress.com/9781430209799 I think there is a 3.0 out now. tbh I didn't make it past chapter 1, writing code is the most god awful work I can think of. (maybe it is really awesome and everyone that has tried to teach me sucks?)

as for college probably computer science, or could try for a dedicated games degree, some schools are offering them now. and I hear developers love students that take other majors like history

My basic advice:

Code. If you do not find coding itself an enjoyable activity, you would want to look at design, not development, and even then...

As they say: Sure, game development pays poorly, but at least the hours are long.

My advice? Since you apparently play rift, start by making addons. Write little games you can play inside Rift. If this sucks you in and you find yourself forgetting what day it is because SORRY CAN'T TALK GOTTA FIND THIS BUG, then you will probably find programming a good career.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Do you want to do back end work? Artistic work? Directing? What road you take depends on that answer.
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawPlankton View Post
    writing code is the most god awful work I can think of. (maybe it is really awesome and everyone that has tried to teach me sucks?)
    Personal taste. I love programming. I can't not program. You give me a computer with programming tools, and after a while it is encrusted with little tiny programs that solved problems for me. You give me a computer without programming tools, and I look at you like I'm a cat and you've given me a bowl full of fake plastic catfood.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Basically everything seebs said.

Honestly, nothing you do in High School classes matters like you're thinking, at least not in terms of getting you that gamedev job 6 years from now. Just focus on getting into a good college, and programming on the side. Having some years of hobbyist programming experience (or even starting out with modding, scripting, etc) when you start real school will give you what little edge you can have at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    My basic advice:

Code. If you do not find coding itself an enjoyable activity, you would want to look at design, not development, and even then...

As they say: Sure, game development pays poorly, but at least the hours are long.

My advice? Since you apparently play rift, start by making addons. Write little games you can play inside Rift. If this sucks you in and you find yourself forgetting what day it is because SORRY CAN'T TALK GOTTA FIND THIS BUG, then you will probably find programming a good career.

12.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #12

Quote Originally Posted by thoroar View Post
    1. What subjects are game companies looking for from a possible develeper?
    2. Can you suggest and good college or university corses?
    3. Any other advice for someone looking at going into this field of work?
    **DISCLAIMER - these are my own statements and not a guidebook to Trion's hiring policy**

The link merrier provided is pretty spot on - but I will reiterate some points. Becoming a game dev has no specific path and if you ask just about anyone how they got in to making game you're going to find everyone has their own path. I've worked with people who haven't graduated HS to those with doctorates in some random unrelated thing to those who went to game dev colleges - it's never too late or too early to find your path into making games.

Prereq: Love games! Don't just play them, live them - be able to pick them apart and look at them from different points of view. Understand why parts are fun and not, and why other players may have a different view. Think of ways to improve what's in front of you. Gaming has 30+ year history of examples and experiences to build on top of - use it.

Figure out WHAT you want to do as developer. The biggest thing you can do is figure out what you want to do as a dev. Once you know that you can start tailoring your education/experience around those choices - programming, art, design, UI, sound, production, etc... But don't feel locked in by your choice - a dev needs to be able to wear different hats all the time and be able to effectively communicate to other team members. Pick classes that get you the skill sets you need/want and be creative in your school work in ways that help you develop your skills.

Don't wait - find ways to start working on stuff today. There are so many tool sets out there for PC games and mobile game dev is becoming more and more accessible all the time. Education is good - having something that shows what you can do is better. Not interested in programming or design, start your art portfolio - sketches, models, game mods, etc... 9 times out of 10 if you have zero real world experience on your resume, a studio is going to care about your side projects much more than your education.

Don't be afraid to apply - just because you don't meet all of the requirements on the listing doesn't mean you're necessarily going to be shut out. You might spark some interest or fit another listing - making games is about initiative, so take it when you can, if you don't get the job ask why not. Learn what you can do better for next time.

To bring it back to your original questions - classes aren't going to be the big thing people look for, it's going to be skills and personality:
    * Are you creative, but able to work with in guidelines
    * Can you communicate effectively to team members
    * Do you handle feedback properly - can you listen and adapt your idea
    * Can you learn and grow your skills

Good Luck.

Oh and one last thing - don't give up. Picking up a tool set for the first time is not going to be a walk in the park - you are going to struggle with it until things start to click. But finding out how to make things work on your own is a valuable skill to have.
    Last edited by ExcelsiorH; 03-15-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Telaran

I like this Dev's enthusiasm. ^^^^

I think some people think they have to be a genius, perfect, or super duper creative. But I mean hell if you are a kid then by all means explore away! As an adult life gets more complicated and things can delay your dreams.

High School prep is something that most people don't think about until it's too late. The fact that you are thinking about it shows that you have better than avaerage drive and ambition. Kudos for that.

A few of pieces of advice, none of which have anything to do with coding, game design, or MMO development:

1. Take a grammer course. Even though you are articulate, when it comes to writing resumes and cover letters, good grammer is something that will immediately stand out. (Side note: use spell-check...in the end, it will make whatever you do look polished.)

2. Make sure your basic math is impeccable. It doesn't matter if you can geometrically project where a mob will be at the end of his skill rotation if you can't multiply by 2. (just as an example)

3. Don't pick a department until you know for sure what you want. Some things in theory look really good, and then sour once you embark upon them.

4. When in doubt, ask the pros. Asking in a forum is great, and you will get some pretty good ideas, but if you really want to know what it's like and what you need, talk to the devs. They're the ones in the trenches, doing it every day, and they're the ones who can give you first-hand knowledge as to what you're going to need.

I wish you the best in life. Good luck and godspeed!

(EDIT)
    I didn't see the previous poster... Didn't realize the devs were all over this. Kudos and a cookie for that!!!
    Last edited by Renna; 03-15-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    "If you argue for your limitations, you get to keep them" - Richard Bach
    "Never make the mistake of confusing kindness for weakness..." - Anonymous

Great list of help for new players! Click Here!

Soulwalker

To the original poster:

Or you could be a Ph.D. student like myself asking why you decided to make such a moronic career choice. Find something you enjoy and go for it. It doesn't matter what age you are: you're always dreaming of doing what you love. So if you can, do your best to ascertain your heartfelt desires.

To Trion/Rift Team:
    So Trion or dev in this thread, I think you could use a person like me. I have a Master in Comm. and have been researching video games, in particular MMOs, in my Ph.D. studies. I have superb comm. skills and have been successful in my past managing employees.

Sorry for the shameless plug. I just had to in the spirit of this thread.
    Last edited by Dyonisus; 03-15-2012 at 06:22 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast