+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Pugging Horror Stories

Soulwalker

On one of my first runs, i ran DD at ~25. Had no idea what I was doing (was apologizing profusely), and apparently fudged it hard enough that one of the DPS actually typed "My cat is on fire, g2g thanks for group" and left.

Honestly, I've found pugs in RIFT to be far less abusive/rude than in That Other Game. I've seen some bad ones, yes, but by and large, pugs tend to be pleasant. There's always that random guy yelling "PULL MORE" but I more often have positive experiences.

I felt terrible the other day when I got into a random xAP pug that was on the first boss and just was lagging so hard I couldn't get out of LOS in time...kept sticking on tents, rubberbanding, etc. It was a horror story for me, since I felt mortified!

I was in a pug yesterday (RF) with my lvl 15 -icar as support and we got a level 38 rogue who was doing the epic questline. I was worried he would be rude and leave once he finished his stuff, etc, but he was pleasant and it was a good group.

am i the only one who doesn't have hardly any bad Pug experiences at all?

95% of all pugs i've been in were at least decent, nice people, no ninja looters, with at least a few decently geared people (enough to carry the slack)

of course most of the time i form my own pugs so... maybe that helps. i just kick out anyone who causes problems and replace them

edit: btw, i'm talking about 20 and 10 man pugs mostly, i don't use LFD finder enough make any judgement calls on that
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 03-12-2012 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    am i the only one who doesn't have hardly any bad Pug experiences at all?
    Nope... I'm in the same boat.

I'd love to be able to craft a post that would make everyone shake their head in disbelief at the boneheads I got paired with, but I can't. I actually pug a fair amount, and there's so few bad experiences (after a full year) that I can't even come up with one that stands out. Most pick up groups are friendly, helpful, and willing to acommodate requests for achievements (if possible). (I just noticed we're both on Keenblade, so maybe that's why?)

Sure, once in a while you get the ninja looter, or the elitist who drops out rather than play with "scrubs", but I've found them few and far between.

By the way, have you ever noticed something about those elitists who can't bear to play with your group, and leave?
    I've noticed that once they're replaced, the "scrubs" then finish off the dungeon with no issues.
    Makes you wonder where the problem really lies, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Kaelani; 03-12-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Rift Chaser

Bad PUG I had recently was in Upper Caduceus rise, and we were killing the underground worm guy. The fight started off with one of teh rogues going in and grabbing aggro before the tank could engage. He died. I battle rezzed.

Then, the part where he puts those yellow rings around you, came to pass nad that same rogue chased me around trying to overlap our circles. I easily outdodged him, and he ran over to stand in the fire. I couldn't heal him fast enough.

Then, an unlucky pop happens and the tank gets thrown into the fire...we wipe.

The rogue left..

We requeued up with another DPS, a warrior and he dies on his way to us. The boss fight goes picture perfect. It was great.

And then we wiped on Cinderstorm, because the said tank didn't LoS the boss, and the rest of teh DPS didn't eek it out

2nd time was fine, but what a pain.

I used to have a lot of bad runs when my gear sucked, but now that I'm a T1 raid geared rogue and can pretty much carry any group through 5 mans. It just takes a bit of patience
    "All we had to do was follow the damn train CJ"

Quote Originally Posted by Naduri View Post
    Why people PUG is a mystery that has eluded me forever.
    Because some of us only get an hour or two here or there. Our lives don't revolve around a game -and therefore we don't have the vast network of online friends/guildies. Don't take that personally, I'm not being judgmental. I would prefer to live in my mother's basement at age 40 with her making me sandwiches and doing my laundry, but in RL my wife would pack up the kids and leave me.
    Formerly Scarecrowe... now Skullcluck. I know, I need to L2P, thanks. Save your breath.
    If you want a healer so bad why don't you roll one up?

I have had my share of sad experiences also.

The most notable was a tank that was determined to get some random achievement that none (but his one guildy) cared about. After two wipes, I told him I didn't care about achievement and just wanted to finish the encounter and get my plaque. He booted me and then sent tells/say making berating me. I suspect I got the last laugh as I was doing about 50% percent more dps than the next guy/gal but who knows.

I have also had a lot of fun albeit some knuckle clenching runs as well. One warrior decided he was going to tank the entire dungeon in his dps gear (I suspect he had a couple of tank pieces on, however). As a chloro I was doing 1400-1600 solo hps on every boss fight. I never let him drop and we did the dungeon in record time. He was hitting 1-2k dps the entire dungeon. Easy? No. Fun? Extremely, although I think he would have run off many other healers (me included had I not been in the mood for the challenge).

Stories from the Dark Side!!!

Haceldama

Yesterday in Expert RotF we had a healer who was so eager to go on through the dungeon he started bodypulling mobs while we were already fighting 2-3 at a time so that we could go faster. I was tanking, and trying a new spec, so I saved him, but barely. He even bodypulled a boss before I could explain the mechanics to someone who had never done the dungeon before.
    Last edited by Hartzekar; 03-12-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

Plane Touched

I've only had a few really bad pugs. I'm DPS and now in HK gear with not needing anything from experts, but that wasn't always the case. Now a days I can carry all the dps, and put out solo what the dps requirements for the dungeons are, so I sit back and don't berate players or rant and rage about gear or skill. But every now and then I get into a group of aholes. This was a few months back and I ended up in a group with 3 mages all from the same guild. All three were just being nasty to the tank, and I called them on it. Tank left shortly after wiping for the third time on a boss due to pitiful heals. I toss on my tank gear for the instant pop, and we get another dps. I pull the boss, and we down it and then I got vote kicked. Really irk'ed me.

Another time, a long time ago around 1.2 I was running sab in DSM when another rogue asked me what spec I was using (44/20/2 back then if I remember correctly). He was running some horrible full sin spec that was pulling awful numbers so I tried to help him out and answer his questions. Long story short after trying to explain how sin boosts sab, he up and left dungeon in a huff. I'm sure he came from that other game where rogues are only suppose to play one way.

Quote Originally Posted by Naduri View Post
    Why people PUG is a mystery that has eluded me forever.
    My theory is that there are two sorts of folks who pug: 1) Those who have no guildies online to group with or who are otherwise unavailable, 2) they are pugging because no one wants to group with them because they have elitist attitude problems or are otherwise obnoxious and so have no choice but to pug.

So if you fall under sort 1, above, and choose to pug, you are looking at a very good chance of having some a-holes (those of the second sort) in the group. And since it only takes one to ruin a pug run, things are not looking good for you.

Here's my pug horror story:

We just entered a D. Two players are still loading. The tank is one of these OMG-I-Gotta-Run-THis-As-Fast-As-Possible-Because-I-Am-Just-That-Awesome sorts so he dashes off into the first mob of trash. Well the other two who loaded hadn't even buffed or anything and have no idea what just happened. The tank of course insta-dies and then leaves with some parting insults about how lame we are and unworthy of his awesome presence. The other two finally finish loading and are like WTH just happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    Because some of us only get an hour or two here or there. Our lives don't revolve around a game -and therefore we don't have the vast network of online friends/guildies. Don't take that personally, I'm not being judgmental. I would prefer to live in my mother's basement at age 40 with her making me sandwiches and doing my laundry, but in RL my wife would pack up the kids and leave me.
    Can I buy you a case of beer? This reply hit the nail on the head for most of us.
    Defiant (Greybriar) - Zoofro - Lv 44 Bahmi Female - Rogue Ranger. Active
    Defiant (Greybriar) - Rehabilitate - Lv 50 Bahmi Male - Cleric Defiler. Inactive.
    Guardian (Greybriar) - Sriracha - Lv 60 Dwarf Female - Mage Chloromancer. Inactive.
    Guradian (Greybriar) - Steroid - Lv 20 Dwarf Male - Warrior. Inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahnaide View Post
    My theory is that there are two sorts of folks who pug: 1) Those who have no guildies online to group with or who are otherwise unavailable, 2) they are pugging because no one wants to group with them because they have elitist attitude problems or are otherwise obnoxious and so have no choice but to pug.
    There's also 3: feel like grouping with random people for a change of pace, and 4: leveling an alt

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Haceldama View Post
    I have had my share of sad experiences also.

The most notable was a tank that was determined to get some random achievement that none (but his one guildy) cared about. After two wipes, I told him I didn't care about achievement and just wanted to finish the encounter and get my plaque. He booted me and then sent tells/say making berating me. I suspect I got the last laugh as I was doing about 50% percent more dps than the next guy/gal but who knows.

I have also had a lot of fun albeit some knuckle clenching runs as well. One warrior decided he was going to tank the entire dungeon in his dps gear (I suspect he had a couple of tank pieces on, however). As a chloro I was doing 1400-1600 solo hps on every boss fight. I never let him drop and we did the dungeon in record time. He was hitting 1-2k dps the entire dungeon. Easy? No. Fun? Extremely, although I think he would have run off many other healers (me included had I not been in the mood for the challenge).

Stories from the Dark Side!!!

Haceldama
    OMG a name I recognize!

Didn't know you played!

*wave*

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahnaide View Post
    I PUG when I can't get 5 guildies that want to run an expert and I don't mind helping people outside of my guild gear up.
    Even free cost too much now

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast