+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When would you launch Rift Planes of Telara?

Shadowlander

Default When would you launch Rift Planes of Telara?

With all the new MMO's and xpansions coming out in the next few months and it was up to you what would your game plan be for Rifts.

Would you wait a few month's after Blizzard released Cataclysm?

Yes I would. Burnout from the expansion will be 2-4 months after it, once the addicts (15 hours a day people) clear the expansion content for the most part (except gated stuff, and patches).

Best time to strike.

And oh look, Jan-March seems to fall right in there. What a coincidence.

Personally, hard to know with so many other games still without a launch date either.

I would personally try and beat the majority of them. Since you probably can't beat the WoW Cataclysm, I'd shoot right after sometime. Let word of mouth carry the majority of marketing. Course, if this game is NOT polished and cleaned up by then, I'd wait till after the next major release course or subs will be divided.

Be nice to beat Tera though. Then as people slowly peel away from it, gather those up. But I'd definitely try and beat GW2 or you might have people feeling why try Rift when they have this game free and it's good too. GW2 has nothing to worry about because I'm sure people will pick it up even after they choose a subscription model game simply cause there is no subscription. But I feel the other way around people will think "Why pick up a subscription when this one is plenty?" and they will weigh in their choices more on getting another since that one is keeping them busy for no extra monthly cost.

To me GW2 is really the only competition of this genre. You have SWtoR but that's Star Wars, Star Wars franchise will ALWAYS have their fans. Tera I think will keep some but overall no idea how well it will do. If they fixed the grind elements of eastern MMOs, it might be good. The combat is not to my liking and it may be like that for many others.
    Last edited by DarkoneNeo; 09-05-2010 at 12:49 AM.

Most Likely to be: Defiant - Cleric Calling (PvP Server)

i would launch it today so i could play =)
    but from a business standpoint they are doing it right. giving the mmo playerbase a few months to get cataclysm out of thier system before launch

Prophet of Telara

Launch it when it's ready. It's more than able enough to compete with the behemoth that is WoW.

To be perfectly frank I don't think it really matters when you release a game against WoW. That game is so big that it's always going to be hard to pull the addicted multitudes away. You may as well just release and hope your hard work does you credit.

GW2 is a different kettle of fish but I do believe Rift has enough to keep its head above the water even at this early stage. Compared to GW2 it has had so little attention but it is my personal opinion that it is already way ahead of GW2 in terms of stability. That will stand Trion in good stead for a solid release.

I recently bought a new game that I've been looking at for a while now. I won't mention the name because it has been getting contant updates to bring it in to line with how accomplished it should have been at release and I don't want to spread too much negativity about a game that could be so good. Thing is the bad press it has been getting and the turn of fortunes for the developers just shows how necessary a solid release of any game is. Release in a bad state and you set yourself back many rungs of the ladder.

If Rift releases a stable game, and it looks well set to do so, then it will succeed against the competition there is. It has enough going for it I think.
    We Were The Defiant

Then Rift went Trivial and Dull

Kaunch when ready is the only answer. If the game is ready, and good, it will succeed.
    "Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!"

I think February 2011 is the best time to release the game only if it's ready. WoW Cata will probably come out on November 2010 and Guild Wars 2 might be out in the end of April 2011. I think SWTOR is still a big question mark - maybe might be released on November 2011 or possibly push to 2012. I don't think TERA will be ready by Feb 2011 but I have a feeling that En Masse Entertainment will be rushing to polish the game by that time.

When its ready. ()
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1282&dateline=1279040  725

When the game is ready, don't want to rush it or have problems like some other MMO(s) out there because it was pushed out before it was done and polished up for use.

I would probably launch it between January and March of '11. And if it takes a little longer to even out the classes, I accept that. It can be said, with some significant certainty, that unbalanced classes have destroyed countless, countless, MMOs.

And therefore, must be stopped.
    "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

+ Reply to Thread