+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading, or just finished reading?

Rift Disciple

Default What book are you reading, or just finished reading?

I've just finished off the 'Harry Potter' series, which I must say just got better and better (although there were one or two questionable parts).

I have to admit, I resisted jumping on the HP bandwagon, until my wife bought me the complete set last year from Christmas. Now I'm wondering what to read next ... always like to have a book at night before I drop off to sleep, sort of calms the mind.

So, what are you currently reading, or just finished reading?

I'm busy reading the short story (novella kinda of) anthologies in the Honor Harrington series. Aside from the Slaver books in the series I've read all the others, so I'm slotted to finish off these collections (currently in the second of four) and then read the two Slaver books.
    Senior Officer of Legend ( Endless US PvE )

Currently reading 'Nights of Villjamur' by Mark Charan Newton, debut writer but very promising. Still only 100 pages in, but like it a lot already. And though it is the first book of a series, it does stand on its own, as will following books in the series.
    Last edited by GhundiPI; 01-20-2011 at 01:50 AM.

A hardcover on the history of Military air power.

Soulwalker

Just finished Evolutionary Void by Peter F Hamilton and moved onto Neutronium Alchemist by the same author.

Reading this wonderfully-written gem here.

http://images.esellerpro.com/2342/I/...9nCY,w~~_1.JPG

I'm reading "Corsair" by Richard Baker, Forgotten Realms series that takes place in the post-dnd4.0 world. It's actually pretty entertaining.

Within the fantasy genre, I was really captivated by the British author, Jonathan Stroud's 'Bartimaeus Trilogy'. His sometimes hilarious portrayal of the witty repartee between an apprentice wizard and his summons, Bartimaeus, a century's old djinn, was extremely humorous. Each chapter focused upon either the wizardling's thoughts or the djinn's, the latter also boasts and recalls all the famous people in history he worked for, resplendent with footnotes. Here is the link and small excerpts from Books 1-3; a fourth book was recently added, that is all about Bartimaeus and his past.

http://www.bartimaeustrilogy.com/about.html#read

A second Trilogy, in a completely different tone (very somber and foreboding) also from a British author, is Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials'. The movie, The Golden Compass was based upon book 1; however the movie failed to do justice to the theme and depth of the book. Here is a link. If you scroll down and read the commentary regarding His Dark Materials, you will get a fairly well organized and insightful picture of the books' contents.

http://www.contemporarywriters.com/a...6EECUjQ2A887DB

Oddly enough, both of these series can be found in the Children's or Young Adult section here in the US. But I assure you, they are far from casual "kiddie" reading material and the latter contains pretty thought provoking elements.
    Last edited by Grymmoire; 01-20-2011 at 05:13 AM.
    "You're simply jealous since the voices speak only to me."

Rift Disciple

@Ironfungus: The Drizzt stories are great fantasy, a great character.

As for the other books mentioned here, I'm feeling a bit 'out of touch' with reading material, which is very remiss of me - all my own fault I'll admit. Seems I've got some catching up to do.

Thank you for replying to this thread - always interesting to see what other players read and what authors are out there doing a good job .

I just recently finished reading Andrzej Sapkowski's The Witcher series. Awesome stuff!
    "...sometimes a single act can be so evil it can curse the world, unraveling the future"

Amber and Blood (Dragonlance: The Dark Disciple, Vol. 3) [Hardcover]
    By Margret weis.

I love the dragonlance series. I drag them everywhere I go

Rift Disciple

Dan Simmons - Drood just got done

Reading Vinge, Vernor - A Deepness in the Sky ATM

Think I will read China Mieville The City & The City next

Quote Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
    A hardcover on the history of Military air power.
    Ya they have the updated hardcover which I bought at bargain from BN along with SeaPower and War Machines

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfungus View Post
    Reading this wonderfully-written gem here.

http://images.esellerpro.com/2342/I/...9nCY,w~~_1.JPG
    I have yet to read this one but it is on my pile to do list.

My all time Faves are the Warhammer Series (Fantasy)... I wasnt really into the miniatures in the past until I read Gotrek & Felix 1st Omnibus 2 years ago... I was like WoW this is awesome. Since then I have made it a point to read 3 books from that universe per month (sometimes more) but due to some constraints I have a pile waiting on for a read. I would also recommend the Warcraft books written by Christie Golden and well ALL of them lol

I also enjoyed the Halo books from ToR publishing... Especially The Fall of Reach... Talk about emotional lol... The Harry Turtledove and HP Lovecraft books are also great.

http://www.enjin.com/rift-signature-generator
    ***It is not easy being so forgiving***

when im not gaming im usually into abotu 5 books depends on my mood for which type of book.

CURRENTLY

R.R.Tolkien- The lost tales
    Anne Rice - The Vampire Armand
    Piers Anthony- Adept Series Book 3 the Red Adept
    Virgil - The Odyssey (again hehehe) I love greek mythology

& also some X-men Comic books in between

I is a versitile girl

Rift Disciple

Harry Turtledove is the worst writer ever, I can't understand how he sell anything.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast