+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Video Card Help/Questions

Default Video Card Help/Questions

I have a Nvidia 9800 Geforce how will it run Rift?
    What type of graphics card would run Rift at Max for a smaller budget?

edited for this

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...07294&csid=_22

what are your thoughts on this card and power supply?

i am running this http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/2513...t-340?&page=21

with 8gb of ram and a 9800 video card
    Last edited by Antenacht; 01-20-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Soulwalker

I know my pc can run it, I am just not very video card savvy
    thank you for the post though.

I've heard that card can run it on low-medium-ish settings.

Of course, that's what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Antenacht View Post
    I have a Nvidia 9800 Geforce how will it run Rift?
    What type of graphics card would run Rift at Max for a smaller budget?
    These are always hard to answer questions, since they reliy on a host of variables (type of card, Gt, Gts, Gs, Gtx+ etc. in your case; resolution of monitor 1920x1200; 1920x1080; 1680x1050; 1600x1200; 1600x900 etc. and what you would be willing to lower in the game, like shadows and lighting, textures and distance draw etc. Can you tolerate possible tearing by turning vsync off for more fps and less induced lag?).

But, let me provide this link. It is a compilation of benchmarks that applied, ranks graphic cards. The highest 9800 card I saw was the GF 9800 Gx2, a dual gpu card; the next being GF 9800 GTX a few slots down. You can have a look there and see where your model lies.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

To give you an idea of how those two rank , they are approximately half as powerful on the rating scale as a GF 460. No superclocked or overclocked cards are on that list, so of course they would perform a tad better in each ranking.

Now, to answer what graphics card would run Rift at Max (ultra settings and custom) is also dependent upon monitor resolution and a few other considerations if you were thinking of upgrading.

You would need to account for your power supply's ability to connect (one or two pci-e connectors); amperage on the PS rails for the specific card; length of the card and case size; cpu speed and possible bottle-necks there and most importantly your "budget". Exactly what are you willing to spend?

For Nvidia, I would venture that a GF 460 either plain or factory overclocked (price compare) or for AMD, a 5770, both more budget oriented, being in the $140.00-$170.00 range. A tad more, $180.00-250.00 and I would say GF 470 vs AMD HD 5850. And at the $300.00-$350.00 range a GF 570 vs the AMD HD 6950.
    "You're simply jealous since the voices speak only to me."

thank you for all the detailed information you have given me, it is most helpful and greatly appreciated.

I haven't thought about upgrading the power supply, but that is something that must be done in the long run if I decide to upgrade my card, I do apologize for not being able to post my exact specs, I have recenlty moved and my PC is in storage at the moment, but for the most part from what i remember is this,

It is a gateway I bought about 3 years ago, it has 8gb ddr2, a quad core processor, windows vista 64 bit, 640gb hd and had a integrated graphics card that I recently upgraded about 5 months ago to the 9800 that I bought for about 100-150 at the time, I was told that it was a very powerful card and that it could run most games at max settings, and it ran WoW for the most part which was fine at the time.

my monitor is a 26" monitor, i believe thats in the 1700-1900x range?

oh man... I just found out they stopped making video cards.... this is the one I have http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDUQ8wIwAg#

Rift Chaser

I have a 9800gt, 4 gb ddr3, 2.2 quadcore cpu . Thinking of getting a better gpu maybe a 200 gtx range type card. maybe a 295 once the 500 gtx cards are common the prices should drop on the older cards.

if you buy your linked items upgrade your 8gb ddr2 cause it will slow you down as the ram on the new card will only run as fast as your slowest ram.

your quadcore is a AMD phenom?

Also you may not need a new psu if you can run a 9800 already they were power hungry of their time.
    Last edited by May Contain Nuts; 01-20-2011 at 09:27 AM.

i believe it is, though I am not 100% sure but I just checked the gateway site and looked up the current upgraded model and they are using the AMD so I am fairly certain, when I head home today though I will write down my specs.

so are you saying i will need to upgrade my RAM as well then? perhaps ddr3?
    Last edited by Antenacht; 01-20-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antenacht View Post
    i believe it is, though I am not 100% sure but I just checked the gateway site and looked up the current upgraded model and they are using the AMD so I am fairly certain, when I head home today though I will write down my specs.

so are you saying i will need to upgrade my RAM as well then? perhaps ddr3?
    You'll need a motherboard that supports ddr3 ram.

Rift Chaser

well rigth now the 512 ram in your 9800gt card is running at ddr2 not ddr3 cause of your other ram is ddr2. Also you are 64 bit windows yes?
    Last edited by May Contain Nuts; 01-20-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: typo

I am running 64bit yes.
    it is good to ask these questions because I begin to learn more as well, especially the need for a mother board that supports ddr3 if i decided to go that route, that is much appreciated.

Rift Chaser

also the gpu you linked runs DDR5. that looks like a bit much of a jump for your system maybe drop to a 260 GTX , will still run game good and be cheaper . putting a rocket on a trashcan dosnt make a spaceship :P but dont feel bad i cant run a gtx 400 card either

lol well thats helpful info, i will need to take the necissary measures over time to upgrade or build a better pc, I just want to be able to play the game at settings that make it quite beautiful.

how do you know the RAM setup and what works with it? how could you use a video card with ddr5?

Rift Chaser

miss read....

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=6023363

looks better for you, how ever you will still need to upgrade your ram to ddr3. you also might not even need to upgrade your psu i would guess you already have 600wat from your 9800gt?

knowing ram setup? its pritty much just have the same ram on your Mother board and gpu otherwise the higher one might aswell be the same as the lower one.
    Last edited by May Contain Nuts; 01-20-2011 at 10:00 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast