+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: In Vanguard tonight.

Telaran

Vanguard was a diamond in the rough. what it could have been.
    the housing, the crafting, the massive world, even the ships (player buit had so much flare with it) harvesting. You chopped a tree it fell!

i know many people have said there against flying mounts, but vanguard and the world was designed to have them and it was literally a awhhhhh moment when you took off and saw this massive landscape from the sky.

sony on the other hand doesnt care for any other game besides its flagship.

if vanguard would have been called
    everquest the saga of vanguard the game would have had tons of funds to grow.

sony made eq, eq2 now a new one called eq next.

that is their direction. every other game on their station pass is dead, close to dead one closed and one went free to play

Plane Touched

If you want something to play while waiting on rift go back to the grandaddy of mmo's - EQ1. You will find it has changed over the years and for the better. Gear is not left on corpse, mercs help fill groups if you cant find 6 or if you just want to solo, much more content than when I left, UI that while not the best looking is far more functional than other mmo's. And the graphics dont look comic booky.

Quote Originally Posted by Svann View Post
    If you want something to play while waiting on rift go back to the grandaddy of mmo's - EQ1. You will find it has changed over the years and for the better. Gear is not left on corpse, mercs help fill groups if you cant find 6 or if you just want to solo, much more content than when I left, UI that while not the best looking is far more functional than other mmo's. And the graphics dont look comic booky.
    I agree. In the unlikely event that Rift fails to deliver, the only current MMORPG I would consider playing (again) would be EQ1.

I hate wow and I loved Rift

Don't Prey on the weak to feel strong, defeat the strong and be truely mighty!

Quote Originally Posted by Corwynn_Maelstrom View Post
    I agree, but Vanguard was very much sick for a long time. I mean the fact that they did an absolutely massive combat revamp that changed everything during Beta, for example. If they had identified the problems sooner they might have saved more time.

And, of course, the REAL issue always was just their technology. They tried to make something that they couldn't figure ut the technology for.

Same reason why WAR failed so miserably.

And one reason Rift is in fact so promising. They have a very solid technological base.
    I remember this very well this happened in beta 4 when soe took over.. beta 3 and beta 4 Vanguard were completely diffrent games... just with the same bugs =P

General of Telara

Vanguard was one of my favorite mmo. I had SOOOO much hope for it, it was really fun. But it was buggy as hell and thing really got worse when SOE bought it and decided to put pvp in. Some classes became unplayable in pve and still are.

Vanguard good
    --------------------------------------
    -Craft system that let you build a house, piece by piece litteraly
    -Great housing system
    -You can make/buy a boat and sail like you want
    -Good idea/artwork for dungeons
    -Each classes have something special and appealing
    -Great lore
    -Diplomacy could really help out and was fun to play
    -Lots of cool races, i loved the fox people! Yay for fox unkillable pally!
    -Cool and fun gathering
    -Dungeons that had quest line were cool!
    -Fun flying mount. Not like wow mount that feel like youre in /noclip. You could jump a cliff, glide, soar, you needed to jump twice to get it to fly, was really alot of fun flying around
    -Lots of dungeon with unique design

Vanguard bad
    ---------------------------------------
    -Terribly buggy but when it was the old team, there was a lot of patch
    -PVP instaured by SOE that totally broke the game. Not that i dont want pvp but there was other thing that was more important at that time, that just killed it
    -Not finished. Most of the dungeons are still empty (no bosses, no loot, no quest). There is still no valid end game content.
    -Flyer that was promised at the start, needed to pay to get one for a short amount of time if you dont bug it.
    -Not so great graphic.
    -low level combat could be akward (animation/pace)

there is now only one server left for vanguard and the population is not that good. If you think of going there , youll be warned. It was supposed to be a great game, it had the tool but it was wrongly used.

Warhammer failed because they didnt read feedback and never balanced out the f******* classes. I was playing a magus (yeah you can laugh). Each patch i got nerfed and never buffed. Each patch the brightwizard got a buff and was never nerfed! Order was stronger then Chaos. All last tier pvp was order dominated ,why? because of the classes imbalance . Rune priest was undispelabe, his mirror (zealot) was. Bright Wizard was stronger then the sorceress. Witch hunter ate witch elf. Arch mage in last patch was overpowerful . Ironbreaker was so much better then blackguard in every way. Engineer had more range and more tool then the magus. Its not about, oh magus got this and engineer got this. No its Engineer got this and magus got less, the engineer had everything the magus had and even more. More powerful and more efficient. If they just balanced the game, balanced their classes, warhammer was great. But it wasnt, it was always unfair

For the moment i play DC Universe. Not bad, not good, its a strip down version of Champion online with better graphic and better combat system. Be mindful if you love pvp like me, Open world pvp on pvp server is HORRIBLE!!!!!! you pick the right spec and the right power and you can mostly JUGGLE SOMEONE TO DEATH. I was level 3 with fire power and blaster gauntlet andi could take lvl10 without taking damage. Its fun to do to someone but when its youre turn that the lowbie juggle you for 5min without hope of escaping its pretty lame. You can press shift to try to break out but if the guy know a little bit, hell uppercut you right back up in a matter of sec. And its a gang fest too, if you got two players on you, there is really no chance you will survive. You can be 30 and kill level 1 without penalty. Oh and open PVP give totally nothing (no reward) no exp, give 1$ , thats it. So go pve server and youll save yourself a headache. Its done by SOE, the same compagny that broke vanguard. The game got alot of bugs and the launcher is horrible, sometime launching the game take 8min.
    Last edited by darkchicken; 01-20-2011 at 08:32 AM.

Telaran

The art design and lack of character customization were the big reason's I left that game. When you hit lvl 30 you felt like you had been playing for 10 years. And the swamp armor grind's before APW were just unbearable.

EQ1 preLuclin, Saryrn
    WoW preWotLK, Terenas
    Vangaurd preAPW, Woefeather

General of Telara

i hear you on that man. I did the grind too with my pally and it was pretty lame, that was the only end game content. If we talk about the mindflayer dungeon, they implemented it with nothing, no story and almost no attack. We would go there, stealth to each boss, get the high level items and never go back. Once they fixed it, we already got all we wanted from it

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Sponx View Post
    Edit: And Vanguard is crap because SoE ruined it and has left it to die, no updates whatsoever for that game. It had great promise, but sadly it didn't work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by abuchan1 View Post
    SoE ruined alot of games, EQ, SWG, and vanguard..... eq was my frist mmo and i love it upto planes of power, then it changed....
    Why do people write 'SoE' instead of 'SOE'? The 'O' stands for "Online", not "of" or "on" or "or"...

I like how people will say SOE is the devil because "all they do is ruin games", and proceed to give EQ, EQ2, SWG or VG as examples -- given that SOE created EQ, EQ2 and SWG from scratch, clearly they've done something right or you wouldn't have loved those games in the first place.

And the only reason VG existed is because SOE did Brad a favor and backed an obvious loser, after Microsoft had the good sense to back the F away from Sigil. Blaming SOE for its abysmal state at release is disingenuous: Brad had 4.5 years of development and over a year of beta testing under his belt before SOE had to get on board to bail him out. And he had another 6 + months of development and testing before it released. Your financial backer for the final 6 months of development can't be held accountable for the appallingly buggy, incomplete, content-lacking state of a game after a full 5 years in the works.

And... this:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2006/20060510.jpg

General of Telara

i agree that eq1 was really awesome.

Eq2 never got near to get the same awesomeness and i played it for a long time
    SWG was fun at start but got really bad
    Vanguard too

SOE isnt all to blame i do agree, they tried to save it but didnt succeed (for different reasons) but still,i think its not the best compagny out there, thats what i meant

Shadowlander

Yea people that continue to blame SOE for VG's failure make me laugh, that failure had Brad written all over it (don't get me wrong I hate SOE with the rest of you). Sure SOE is ignoring VG and not putting a dime of money into...would you do otherwise? Once a game has a massive launch failure like VG it cannot recover and SOE knows that so why spend money on it.

Brad obviously pulled a fast one on SOE when he got them to pick VG up, and it didnt take SOE long to realize it but by that time there was nothing that could be done. Pushing back release and pouring money into further development would have killed the game so SOE was between a rock and a hard place, they had to try to recoup some funds and going ahead with the release and grabbing $50 a box and possiblely 60 days of subs was the only foreseeable way to do it. Could they have pushed back release and done the "noble" thing to save VG? Sure but why? They already had a successful flagship game, why take resources away from that and pour them into an unknown. An unknown that by the time SOE got ahold of it the word was already out about the massive problems with the game. Doesn't make sense from a business stand point.

If Brad had had any common sense at all and had hired a half-competent management team instead of tyring to feed that ego (and drug habit) of his, I'm confindent in saying we would all still be playing VG...SOE or not.

So in summary: screw Mcquaid, SOE still sucks, I miss VG, here's hoping Rift turns out to be great and not the next fail boat.
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 01-20-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrazor View Post
    I was dc'd a couple of times when I tried to hearth
    Using the term 'hearth' tells me you've spent some time in WoW, which can run on just about any PC.

Vanguard runs just fine on my 4-year-old dual core and I never get disconnected, so I'd have to say your PC or internet provider is most likely the cause.

Like EQ and the older classic MMOs, Vanguard is more of a sandbox MMO, whereas WoW and Rift are 'theme parks', so to the VG player Rift does look a lot like WoW.

I got bored with WoW after 4 months, but it has more depth and replay-ability than Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Flim View Post
    Why do people write 'SoE' instead of 'SOE'? The 'O' stands for "Online", not "of" or "on" or "or"...
    They are probably old EQ players who are used to using SoW and SoE for Spirit of Wolf and Spirit of Eagle buffs.
    Last edited by Slyde; 01-20-2011 at 09:56 AM.
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyde View Post

I got bored with WoW after 4 months, but it has more depth and replay-ability than Rift.
    You say this in a Beta where no one not under an NDA has surpassed level 27.
    Last edited by Selgin; 01-20-2011 at 09:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Ahh, but the game isn't the problem. The problem is that someone who can neither write nor think is inexplicably unhappy with something.

Quote Originally Posted by Selgin View Post
    You say this in a Beta where no one not under an NDA has surpassed level 27.
    It doesn't take more than a few minutes to see that Rift only has two starting areas, no pet taming, no flying mounts, generic humanoid races, and inferior public transportation. All of which WoW does better (and I don't even like WoW).
    Last edited by Slyde; 01-20-2011 at 10:01 AM.
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Corwynn_Maelstrom View Post
    I'd rather have someone develop a game coherently than someone bend to the will of the populace just to do so in many cases.

In addition, someone without a strong personality would have left the game, because honestly that has got to be the single worst lead dev job in the entire industry.
    Lol, man, either you never physically played VG firsthand or you are just BSing.

Silius greatly accelerated the downward spiral, tried to re-mold VG into his vision of what EQ's true predecessor should be, and I can guarantee you his vision and work drove more players away from the game than it attracted.

He was more concerned with working on top-end "epic" content than he was with fixing huge problems with the game mechanics. Last I checked they still havent even fixed the z-axis agro dump exploit... you could train 50+ mobs around and leap off a 2foot high ledge and they all dump agro.

Lets just ignore years-old bugs that everyone in the game knows about and add "epic" content that can be completed thru the exploit of the bugs that we know about and are ignoring! *Thumbs up*
    Last edited by Avarex; 01-20-2011 at 10:51 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast