+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: In Vanguard tonight.

Rift Master

Vanguard was my favourite MMORPG, I played it for a long time and had alot of fun, most fun I've had in an MMORPG - but that was back when the game had a decent population and was actually receiving updates, patches etc.

That game was exactly what I was looking for, too bad SOE doesn't care about it. Don't doubt you had VG players saying RIFT is like WoW, I don't think this will really be what they're looking for - but who knows.

I'm looking forward to RIFT alot, I think it looks awesome and I can't wait to play - but I'm not expecting it to be like VG.

Moving on to smaller and better things.

Don't mean to derail this thread, but man, SOE really left us High and dry with Everquest Online Adventures for the PS2. That game was so awesome and had so much promise.

btw.. there are a LOT of vanguard players around here.

ones that gave up a long time ago on vanguard.

Great Promise
    Terribly Implementation
    Brad "Aradune Mithara" McQuaid - great mind for creating worlds DON'T LET HIM WITHIN 10 MILES OF PROJECT MANAGEMENT!
    Pretty Pictures (from real life) || Rift Watchers || OFFICIAL Shard Status w/ Queue Length
    Current System: Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Radeon HD 3870 512MB, 4GB PC2-6400, Windows 7 64 Ultimate, 1680x1050. Moderate (custom) settings, 30-40 fps most of the time.

Well, just be happy that Rift got some of the fine folks who ended up out of a job after Sigil mis-managed the game into oblivion.
    Senior Officer of Legend ( Endless US PvE )

Quote Originally Posted by Corwynn_Maelstrom View Post
    Well, just be happy that Rift got some of the fine folks who ended up out of a job after Sigil mis-managed the game into oblivion.
    yeah.

what was really farked up is when SOE bought out Sigil they fired all the guys who were the ones who did shiat right, and kept the morons.

I'm looking at YOU SILIUS!
    Pretty Pictures (from real life) || Rift Watchers || OFFICIAL Shard Status w/ Queue Length
    Current System: Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Radeon HD 3870 512MB, 4GB PC2-6400, Windows 7 64 Ultimate, 1680x1050. Moderate (custom) settings, 30-40 fps most of the time.

Sorry OP, but I have to disagree with you. I re-subbed to VG just a couple of weeks ago, and haven't had a crash yet. I quit right after PotA was released, because I hated the nerfs to the DK, then the nerf to the Disciple (my 2 main classes). I went back in, and while the population really sucks, it is still a fun and interesting game. It took me all of about 10 minutes and I had found a full, active raiding guild that was more than happy to help me level up to 55 and get my epic. While I can't wait for Rift, VG is a great filler for the time being.

As to SOE's involvement, I was under the impression that SOE actually saved the game, and was the only reason it was released at all. But I do believe that they deliberately destroyed it, to protect their large investment in EQ2. Why else would SOE want 2 games in the same genre that were in direct competition with each other?
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Denidil View Post
    hehe.. i actually talked to Aradune on the beta servers.

i'm pretty sure he was high.
    Yea I was gonna put something about him being a drug addict and smoking a good portion of Microsofts investment money but figured that was not as provable as the fact he sucks balls at basic management skills. God I detest him so much for screwing that game up.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Reciprocity View Post
    As to SOE's involvement, I was under the impression that SOE actually saved the game, and was the only reason it was released at all. But I do believe that they deliberately destroyed it, to protect their large investment in EQ2. Why else would SOE want 2 games in the same genre that were in direct competition with each other?
    While I personally place the failure of VG squarley on Brad's drug infested shoulders, do not ever forget SOE is evil and will **** your kitten to make a buck.

Really? You can't type "r a p e" but "sucks balls" is ok? Sigh....
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 01-19-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denidil View Post
    I'm looking at YOU SILIUS!
    Yeah because being put in charge of a game that has been beaten to death and given no resources makes for a really great time . . .

I don't envy the job he's had. Not one bit.
    Senior Officer of Legend ( Endless US PvE )

oh.. i've talked to silius.. he's kinda a ******

he puts his personal preferences over the vast majority of the player base.

Originally Posted by Sponx
    Edit: And Vanguard is crap because BRAD MCQUAID ruined it BECAUSE HE HAS THE MANAGEMENT SKILLS OF A 2 YEAR OLD. It had great promise, but sadly it didn't work out. BUT HOPEFULLY NOONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WILL EVER LET THAT NUT JOB COME WITHIN 10 FEET OF MANAGING A PROJECT AGAIN.
    As much as I hate to say it, there's some truth to this. Brad had great vision but Sigil was never set up with anyone that could truly manage a company.

Champion

Vanguard had the potential to surpass EQ in greatness, but it never came to be due to Sony screwing it up so poorly. It was released way too early, Sony just threw it in the trash practically giving them maybe 4 devs to work on it. Took them over a year to get the raid content released, which by then the game was already dead with about 4 servers remaining.

I wish the game would have turned out differently, it really could have been awesome. You can run through a ton of unfinished areas in the game and just see the potential it had had, it was/is a damn shame.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Reciprocity View Post
    Sorry OP, but I have to disagree with you. I re-subbed to VG just a couple of weeks ago, and haven't had a crash yet. I quit right after PotA was released, because I hated the nerfs to the DK, then the nerf to the Disciple (my 2 main classes). I went back in, and while the population really sucks, it is still a fun and interesting game. It took me all of about 10 minutes and I had found a full, active raiding guild that was more than happy to help me level up to 55 and get my epic. While I can't wait for Rift, VG is a great filler for the time being.

SOE it saved from dying an early death and then did nothing constructive with it. The game had a decent following but as buggy as it was when they acquired it, it would have taken a good amount of money and resources to fix it right. Basically they bandaided it and sucked what money they could out of the subscribers. A good example is it took 2 years and 4 game updates to get visible helmets. I played from beta to GU3 and just could not waste any more of my life.

-G

Quote Originally Posted by Corwynn_Maelstrom View Post
    Since failed software projects are rarely due to the actions of only one person, are you proof positive that some of the people who moved on to Rift weren't also responsible for the death of Vanguard?
    Oh mortal man, is there anything you cannot be made to believe?

nearly everyone in my guild was in the guild when we did vanguard.

There was a multitude of things that equally hurt the game and killed it. I couldnt just say it was one or two things or one person to blame alltogether but it was doomed from the start due to all of the things combined.

pc at that time wouldnt run it
    hitching / lagging
    bugs bugs bugs
    released way too early
    no funding
    ignorant brad mc-quailood
    not enough end game content
    not enough end game raids
    soe
    firing entire dev team in parking lot episode
    no dev team
    etc etc

overall i think it was probably one of the best mmo's on the market if it had only been able to have been finished correctly. However, due to so many things done wrong, the game died out in 6 months.

Such a shame really. I think if I had to point a finger at 1 thing that was most to blame it had to be that you really needed a top of the line PC to run the game decently.

Rift is doing so many things right... heck, nearly everything right. My guild was a vanguard guild and we did love it even with its flaws, but we are all very much looking forward to RIFT.
    Kromulok
    (alias Fumata)

Ethereal Shadows

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast