+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: building new gaming rig, need advice

Default building new gaming rig, need advice

So I'm going to build a new rig for gaming and wanted suggestions. I plan to use it for gaming and general web surfing, not so much media playing or video stuff. I plan to spend $1200-1500 excluding monitor, mouse, software etc. Here are my questions: What do you think I should get for GPUs? 2 5850s, 2 Nvidia 460s or 1 Nvidia 500 series (and maybe adding 1 more later). Maybe a 120G SSD? What do you think a good PSU is and how big, 1000W? Whats a good case with enough fans/cooling that doesnt sound too lound? Any other ideas?

thankx

Quote Originally Posted by Sevrian View Post
    So I'm going to build a new rig for gaming and wanted suggestions. I plan to use it for gaming and general web surfing, not so much media playing or video stuff. I plan to spend $1200-1500 excluding monitor, mouse, software etc. Here are my questions: What do you think I should get for GPUs? 2 5850s, 2 Nvidia 460s or 1 Nvidia 500 series (and maybe adding 1 more later). Maybe a 120G SSD? What do you think a good PSU is and how big, 1000W? Whats a good case with enough fans/cooling that doesnt sound too lound? Any other ideas?

thankx
    My rig below was 1500 for monitar mouse comp etc.
    Processor: i7 920 2.7Ghz 4 Cores
    RAM: 12 GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
    Hard Disk: 2 TB
    Triton Gaming Headset For Ventrilo

Ascendant

thankx
    nvidia 500series are good cards, but more expensive than a 460 which is also good
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814261096
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814261077

id say a 1000W psu is good. two cards connected for SLI will take up a little over 400W.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

who know how easy it is just to google *gaming PC*? my God man.... get a grip... with todays market, a lot to choose from... what appears good rt now, in 2 months close your eyes.. so freaking fast on the tech stuff these days... so buy a decent, sorta cheap system... suck it up for a few+ yrs.. or unless your a rich kid lol
    Last edited by Ionbick; 01-19-2011 at 03:09 PM.
    <>< Bick

The nVidia 560s come out on/around the 25th of this month @ $250.

I'd hold off, because even if you don't get a 560, they'll drive mid-range pricing down.

The power supply depends on how MANY vid cards you're going to have -- for just one, anything around 700+w should do fine -- even for a top of the line video card, as long as it's a reputable brand with multiple 12v rails. You won't need anything more than that unless you're going Xfire or SLI.

Shadowlander

i have 2 250's sli with a 1k psu 8 gig of mem and 2 TB HD and so far there is not a game i cannot max with no graphic lag what so ever, though my lights dem in my crappy trailer when i turn it on and i had to put in a new breaker... lol running a 3gig down1.5 up connection and rift gave me no problems even during the mass invasions.. all in all i have not spent more then $600 on those parts, all togeather my system new would not cost more then 1k now days, though i had these upgrade for a while now when they where top of the line to they where ALOT more expensive then. Always remember, you get what you pay for do not skemp on some parts or you will regret it later, get the good stuff once and you will be happy for a few good years then its just replaceing 1 peice at a time. IMO

Shield of Telara

For that budget I would build your PC around the following components (brands are up to personal preference):

i5-2500k
    mobo with P67 chipset
    GTX 570
    Corsair 650W for one GPU, 750W if you really may go with 2
    4 GB RAM

There is absolutely no need for a 1000W PSU. All you are doing is wasting money with such a huge PSU.

A decent cheap case is the Coolermaster HAF 912. It has two fans and will work just fine.

SSD is up to you, but be aware that gaming performance won't be improved by much. Your overall PC experience will improve with a SSD though.
    Last edited by Riler; 01-19-2011 at 03:22 PM.
    Riler - Future Guardian Warladin Knight
    <Pain>

So I'm going to build a new rig for gaming and wanted suggestions.
    My system recommendations, joo can read them.

I plan to use it for gaming and general web surfing, not so much media playing or video stuff.
    A gaming grade card would obliterate general media and web surfing requirements.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Rabbit has some good builds! Very good, but I cant help to get my 2 cents in.

CPU: AMD 1100T/1090T (3.3GHz/3.2GHz Hex core)
    RAM: 8GB of DDR3 1333+
    Mobo: Any AM3 board by Asus really, I use and love my M4A79XTD EVO
    CPU 750W 80+ Certified or higher
    Video card: Ive got a GTX 460 HAWK edition, love it, but the new 6870s are pretty cheap and amazing cards. (Just an fyi with AMD cards, use the drivers Rift recommended, rumor has it rift dosn't like AMD and some drivers.
    Case: Dont skimp here, you will most likely spend 100-150$ on a good case. Any of the higher end Coolermaster cases (HAF X for example) and the NZXT Phantom is a SICK case.
    HDD: OS/Rift: 120GB SSD
    HDD: Data: 1+ TB Western Digital
    Cooler (Optional if you have one that comes with your cpu): If you plan on OCing get away from stock air, grab either a Coolermaster V6GT, V8 or an H50/70 (The H50/70 are closed system water cooling, so no hassle)
    Optical Drive

All that off the top of my head should be within your budget, I built a system similar for a buddy of mine for a little under 1000 Canadian, but he already had the video card.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionbick View Post
    who know how easy it is just to google *gaming PC*? my God man.... get a grip... with todays market, a lot to choose from... what appears good rt now, in 2 months close your eyes.. so freaking fast on the tech stuff these days... so buy a decent, sorta cheap system... suck it up for a few+ yrs.. or unless your a rich kid lol
    No, YOU get a grip, maybe he dosnt know much about hardware and wants advice? Also, slippery slopes dont help you, yes I realized I spent a lot on my PC now, and yes I realize that I can get my gear half the price in 3 years, but guess what! In 3 years there will be new high end kit for the SAME PRICE

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    Rabbit has some good builds! Very good, but I cant help to get my 2 cents in.
    CPU: AMD 1100T/1090T (3.3GHz/3.2GHz Hex core)
    Mobo: Any AM3 board by Asus really, I use and love my M4A79XTD EVO
    Such a core was in I think 2 or 3 builds last generation. The reviews have greatly favored the new Intel chips in anything above the lower mainstream price bracket. With the turbo, better overclocking, and the ability to go multi-GPU on either Nvidia OR AMD on a single board, technologically Intel is the better choice.

Up to peeps to pick though. But I tend to 'overly simplify' my system build choices and upgrade paths. The AMD reqs still are on the PC page though if someone wanted to look through.
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    Such a core was in I think 2 or 3 builds last generation. The reviews have greatly favored the new Intel chips in anything above the lower mainstream price bracket. With the turbo, better overclocking, and the ability to go multi-GPU on either Nvidia OR AMD on a single board, technologically Intel is the better choice.

Up to peeps to pick though. But I tend to 'overly simplify' my system build choices and upgrade paths. The AMD reqs still are on the PC page though if someone wanted to look through.
    Well, the 1100T is pretty much brand new, so :P. But while YES, the Intel chips are superior slightly to AMD chips, I would MUCH rather spend 300$ on a 3.3GHz Hexcore, then 1200$ on an Intel equivalent ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    But while YES, the Intel chips are superior slightly to AMD chips, I would MUCH rather spend 300$ on a 3.3GHz Hexcore, then 1200$ on an Intel equivalent ;)
    Not to poo-poo anything, but there is an Andantech article using sysmark 2007 that places the AMD 1100T in the Core i3 2100 range. While it seems absent from NewEgg this is projected to be $120.

Telaran

That's the one thing I've noticed as well.

While the AMD seems to have the numbers and the lower $$$, it also seems that it is a generation behind the Core i5/i7 chips.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...x4,2826-6.html

The article there shows you a decent comparison. For the price, you can get a Core i5 2500K for not much more than the AMD Phenom II x4 970.

I'm in the same boat. I'm updating mine and my wife's machines and I'm hung up on the CPU debate. Save a few bucks and go AMD or go for a bit more speed and get the Core i5 2500K....

Quote Originally Posted by Glyndo View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I'm updating mine and my wife's machines and I'm hung up on the CPU debate. Save a few bucks and go AMD or go for a bit more speed and get the Core i5 2500K....
    You have to factor in longevity as well.

I'd say wait for the bulldozers and see how those compare, but noone knows when those are coming out. It could be 6 months.
    its = possessive, it's = it is | whose = possessive, who's = who is | your = possessive, you're = you are | too = also or too much, to = to go or to do, two = 2 | their = possessive, there = a place, they're = they are | than = comparative, then = deals with time

Sign these petitions: Halo Reach for PC | Legend of the Seeker season 3 (tv show)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast