+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0 motherboard issue

Default Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0 motherboard issue

Anyone had and solved an issue with this motherboard not picking up hard drives or DVD players?

Currently mine only registers my SSD but not my SATA HDD or DVD burner. I'm sure its just a BIOS configuration but I don't know where to start

Any help would be appreciated

P.S. the internet hasn't been my friend on this one
    CPU: i7 950 @ 3.07Ghz | MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 12GB DDR3-2000 (PC-16000) | GPU: HD 7970 | SSD: Corsair F60 | Monitor: Samsung PX2370 @ 1920x1080 | SC: SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional | OS: Win7 x64

Ascendant

you should find out what your BIOS version is. it looks like some of those bios updates deal with sata so maybe you should try that if you have an older version.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLucidity View Post
    you should find out what your BIOS version is. it looks like some of those bios updates deal with sata so maybe you should try that if you have an older version.
    It didn't work with the BIOS version shipped and sadly working my way through each update didn't correct the problem either..

..still at square 1
    CPU: i7 950 @ 3.07Ghz | MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 12GB DDR3-2000 (PC-16000) | GPU: HD 7970 | SSD: Corsair F60 | Monitor: Samsung PX2370 @ 1920x1080 | SC: SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional | OS: Win7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLucidity View Post
    Indeed, check the mfg site for updated BIOS revisions and read the applicable notes.

NOTE: disregard my prior post -- we were posting at the same time.

Do you have AHCI enabled in the BIOS? Do you have all your SATA ports enabled in BIOS?

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=444831

Quote Originally Posted by Tzaar View Post
    NOTE: disregard my prior post -- we were posting at the same time.

Do you have AHCI enabled in the BIOS? Do you have all your SATA ports enabled in BIOS?

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=444831
    No I don't have AHCI enabled, I thought this only concerned RAID setups (which I don't have)?

All my SATA ports are enabled...I've also switch my SATA cables around so the the drive not been picked up was using the port and cable of the one that was.

Quote Originally Posted by JoolaPrime View Post
    No I don't have AHCI enabled, I thought this only concerned RAID setups (which I don't have)?

All my SATA ports are enabled...I've also switch my SATA cables around so the the drive not been picked up was using the port and cable of the one that was.
    AHCI isn't a "RAID" thing [although it can be used in a RAID setup], it's an IO standard for the SATA interface -- just select AHCI, save your BIOs, reboot -- and see if the drives are detected in either the POST screen or in BIOS.

I've had an issue with a motherboard in the past that wouldn't detect certain drive types without AHCI enabled. Once enabled, the drives were detected normally and I could format without issue.

"What is AHCI ?

AHCI stand for Advance Host Controller Interface. AHCI is a hardware mechanism that allows software to communicate with Serial ATA (SATA) devices (such as host bus adapters) that are designed to offer features not offered by Parallel ATA (PATA) controllers, such as hot-plugging and native command queuing (NCQ). The specification details a system memory structure for computer hardware vendors in order to transfer data between system memory and the device."
    --taken from http://expertester.wordpress.com/200...ark-advantage/
    Last edited by Tzaar; 01-19-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Just write to the support of Gigabyte, they are helping you for sure. i had issues too. got fixed within 24 hours! go giga
    Last edited by neX!Tem; 01-19-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neX!Tem View Post
    Just write to the support of Gigabyte, they are helping you for sure. i had issues too. got fixed within 24 hours! go giga
    and that's what I did

I got another SATA HDD and installed that...works fine alongside the SDD in IDE and AHCI. I'm guessing that for some strange reason my HDD and DVD drive decided to die at the same time...?

+ Reply to Thread