Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading my PC for RIFT

Thumbs up Upgrading my PC for RIFT

My Current PC Specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Processor 3.20 GHZ
    RAM: 8.00 GB 1333 MHZ DDR2
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD4890 1GB DDR

I have about 120 to spend on an upgrade (thats about $200, or 140 euros) -- which part of my PC should I upgrade first?

I was thinking maybe my graphics card or maybe a quad core cpu?

Telaran

Yep quad core 1st..

video card is really only thing you need tbh, i run dual core on rift beta max setting and had no problem with vent and music program running in background

Quote Originally Posted by kyris_ View Post
    My Current PC Specs:

I have about 120 to spend on an upgrade (thats about $200, or 140 euros) -- which part of my PC should I upgrade first?

Not specifically for RIFT, but the biggest upgrade anybody make to their PC these days, is to get SSD's (Solid State Drives) in favour of conventional mechanical Hard Drives.

You should either save that 120 toward a new system as the upgradability of that platform may not be huge or go for an SSD imo.

GPU wise for that money you could buy a previous generation DX11 card from either nvidia or ATi that will certainly cope with RIFT well, remember it's actually based on DX9 code.

An SSD will make a big difference when it comes to loading RIFT (aswell as all other programs including OS functionality) over conventional mechanical Hard Drives, slashing access times from ~15ms to less than 1ms.

It would be far more beneficial to your system overall than solely looking to improve RIFT by way of a few fps in graphics. You would be looking at around a 60GB SSD which you would use for your OS and main programs, keep your mechanical HD's for back up and storage etc.

I played beta 4 with a HD4890 1GB @ 1920*1200\1650*1080 (dual screens), with all settings on max was getting around 40fps, dropping to 10 fps in heavy RIFT invasions.

I think it's a combination of debugging running in the RIFT client and ATi drivers and dual screens (10.12) because the rest of my system is well above sys req's.

Get a new Graphics card. There are new generations for a reason.

Plane Walker

I'll be honest, I don't know a lot about AMD CPUs or ATI (AMD) cards because their naming/numbering schemes seem illogical and I can't keep track of them.

The problem you're likely to run into with upgrading your CPU is that it's likely you'll need a new motherboard, and potentially new RAM, to match the CPU. Again, I know nothing about AMD slot types, so it's possible you'll have a motherboard that's compatible with newer quad-core AMD CPUs. But I think it's unlikely. And if that's the case, you'll probably be looking at several hundred quid to upgrade the CPU/mobo/RAM as a bundle.

A video card upgrade is likely to give the biggest bang for your buck on that budget.

I disagree with the SSD suggestion. Yes, it would be great for loading Windows quickly and performing general tasks, but you're only going to get a 60GB SSD on that budget -- I won't give Win7 alone any less than a 40GB partition, so a 60GB disk is already feeling cramped to me for basic programs, let alone if you start trying to cram 8GB+ games in there. Plus it's going to give have negligible impact on your Rift experience except when zoning. Unless you have a particular need to speed up desktop applications and access, don't bother with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flim View Post
    I disagree with the SSD suggestion. Yes, it would be great for loading Windows quickly and performing general tasks, but you're only going to get a 60GB SSD on that budget -- I won't give Win7 alone any less than a 40GB partition, so a 60GB disk is already feeling cramped to me for basic programs, let alone if you start trying to cram 8GB+ games in there. Plus it's going to give have negligible impact on your Rift experience except when zoning. Unless you have a particular need to speed up desktop applications and access, don't bother with it.
    Have to agree here. SSD's are great (I have a few), but apart from loading the game initially and windows, which cuts off like 10 seconds....you'd have better performance with a GPU upgrade or CPU, but you have to check to see what your mboard can handle. I think your better off just saving up for a bit longer. $300 for average CPU or GPU is where the price/performance is. But in saying that you already have a 4890. I'd say save up for a new mboard/cpu/ram combo and leave room open for another 4890 for a crossfire upgrade again later on. That would be the best upgrade path imho.
    Last edited by Zethex; 01-19-2011 at 08:30 AM.

ok, its looking like a GPU upgrade; so the question now is, which GPU?

im gonna have a look on google for some reviews .etc

Telaran

Take a look at this on:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-912-_-Product

It's a good price, I've read good reviews on this card over at tomshardware.com. Its clocked alittle higher over the base 6850 cards which is nice and the fan setup will blow any hot air straight out the back of the machine which is a plus if you decide to go crossfire.

So, at the moment, im trying to decide between

ATI Radeon™ HD 5850 GPU
    http://www.amd.com/us/products/noteb...850-specs.aspx

and

ATI Radeon HD 6850
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-912-_-Product

Which of these would be the better upgrade from the 4890?
    Last edited by kyris_; 01-19-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blooberry View Post
    Yep quad core 1st..
    Dumbest advice ever to give to a budget upgrader.

-------------------------------------------

Like most of the above posters said, the best upgrade at this time and given your budget would be a new GPU.

Even worse advice to tell somebody to upgrade their GPU for a game that's coded on DX9, when their existing GPU handles the client fine. The OP doesn't tell us his display resolution which is important to note. Anything 1900*1200 or below and the 4890 will work fine.

The biggest bottleneck in most systems is the mechanical hard drive, this is hard fact, sorry if people don't get it. Windows 7 doesn't take up 40GB either, the respondant is confused and didn't read the other advice that one keeps their existing hard drives to use for storage, back ups etc. 60GB is more than enough for the OS and the users favourite programs. Go to any reputable hardware site, they will tell you exactly the same thing. And in conjunction with 8GB RAM, the system wil always be responsive even if the user tabs out. You can even have multiple games alt+tabbed, and go browse the net, email, bit of media etc, again this is proven all over the web.

The differences an SSD make blow people away when they see it for themselves.
    Last edited by rifty; 01-19-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Ace

Quote Originally Posted by kyris_ View Post
    My Current PC Specs:

Specifically, what power supply unit are you using in your system?

New graphics card.
    "You will wander the underworld, blind, deaf and dumb, and all the dead will know, this is Hector. The fool who thought he killed Achilles."

500W Corsair PSU -- not a cheap one either, was pretty expensive

Anyway, I got myself a GPU just now -- just jumped into buying it, so I hope it's a decent one :< it's an ATI Radeon 5870 1gb

and my next upgrade will be a SSD... I mean, I have a 10,000 rpm raptor drive at the moment for my OS, which is decent, but I suppose a SSD will give a nice boost too - shame they are so damn expensive

If I can sell my 4890 card on ebay, I may be able to use the money for a SSD
    Last edited by kyris_; 01-19-2011 at 02:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast