+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 111

Thread: Why rift is going to fail

  1. #31
    Rift Disciple Rivendark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Right where I am.
    Posts
    162

    Default

    The YerATroll. YerATrolls are those whining forumites who devote a tremendous amount of time and energy complaining about the tremendous amount of time an energy expended by Troll Bashers and Angry Forumites on the practice of troll-hunting. A self-righteous and hypocritical breed, YerATrolls spend all their time pointing fingers at everyone but trolls, petulantly demanding that their opinions be granted the significance the YerATroll believes they deserve. YerATrolls often start threads excoriating others for troll-hunting, all the while completely oblivious to the fact that they're engaging in trolling by picking fights with everyone else. One of the most ill-tempered of troll species, YerATrolls are characterized by a childish need for attention disguised as cynical nobility and pretensions of being "above it all."

    The Agenda Troll. Agenda trolls are those participants who join a forum specifically to pursue an agenda of their own – often a feud or grudge with another member, or perhaps a dispute with some party not participating in that forum. When a flame war erupts on another board, for example, Agenda Trolls will follow their opponents to other forums in order to continue the spat.
    – Some Agenda Trolls are subject-matter oriented. An Agenda Troll who thinks Self-Defense Instructor X is a fraud, or who feels he has been ripped off or otherwise dealt with unfairly by Instructor X, will visit forums devoted to self-defense and martial arts in order to spread his or her negative opinion of Instructor X.

    – Agenda Trolls may also be of the milder Spam Agenda subspecies; these are Trolls who join a board specifically to advertise some venture of their own. They are not often troublesome, though their shameless plugging is met with varying degrees of irritation.
    The Sophist Troll. Sophist Trolls, or "philotrolls," fancy themselves Enlightened Philosophers or Learned Experts of the highest order. Often well educated, Philotrolls are capable of speaking intelligently on a number of topics, and when the spirit moves them they can be worthwhile forum participants. Unfortunately, Sophist Trolls are an extremely hostile and intolerant species.
    When confronted by opinions with which they do not agree – particularly when they do not see any means of successfully arguing their contrary views – Sophists resort (repeatedly) to a variety of intellectually dishonest tactics. Most often, this is characterized by an overly snide, condescending, patronizing attitude. Philotrolls consider anyone with whom they do not agree to be "immature," and are fond of quoting that old saw that "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

    When cornered they are quick to resort to personal attacks. A philotroll's bag of rhetorical tricks includes a variety of transparent ploys, such as willfully misinterpreting the opponent's words, committing Straw Man fallacies, accusing his or her opponents of engaging in the very tactics used by the philotroll, and so forth.

    When engaging in their sophistry, philotrolls are among the most hypocritical and aggravating of trollkind.
    The Affected Profundity Troll. A mutant subspecies of Sophist Trolls, Affected Profundity Trolls post endless pages of pretentious drivel that is intended to appear wise, but which generally makes little sense (if any). Affected Profundity Trolls enjoy asking themselves questions, sometimes answering them and sometimes leaving them hanging, for they believe this looks intelligent and lends an aura of mystery to their incoherent ramblings. Affected Profundity Trolls aspire to become Sophist Trolls, but lack the intelligence necessary to make the leap.

    The Don King Troll. Related to Affected Profundity Trolls, Don King Trolls spout gibberish in the hope that they'll either bore or confuse to death those with whom they disagree. The average Don King Troll is "a pursuitist who gromulates his adversarial computerists with height defining formulations to the disinterestingest adjunct."

    The Artistic Troll. A higher species of Classic Troll, Artistic Trolls are intelligent individuals who understand the subtle art of trolling, and who do what they do specifically to make others look foolish. Often employing the techniques of Deceptive Trolls, Artistics will string forumites along until some point in time designated by their own desires, at which point they will reveal the ploy, admit that it was a ploy, and laugh at everyone for being stupid enough to fall for it. Artistic Trolls delight in sowing discord, but do it in a highly developed and fully aware manner. They do not care if they are despised, and do not seek the approval of forum participants. Chaos is their only goal, and preferably chaos with a humorous bent to it. Without a doubt, this is the most dangerous species.

    The Bitter Troll.
    Bitter Trolls are a curious cross-species. They can be trolls of any breed in their larval stages, but become Bitters after their previous activities are seen for what they were. What sets these trolls apart from other classifications is their behavior after they have been spotted and labeled as trolls. Angry, frustrated, and resentful about being "outed," the Bitter Troll will wage a campaign of indignant complaints intended to focus attention away from the troll and on whomever is responsible for identifying the creature. Often, a troll mutates into a Bitter just prior to becoming a Vulgar.

    The Bustr. Bustrs are obsessive Bitters by whom you could practically set your watch. A Bustr never forgets, never forgives, and holds a grudge until the day it dies. Also a variant of Agenda trolls, Bustrs typically move from forum to forum complaining about the objects of their ire, often cutting and pasting age-old diatribes that have little meaning to most of their audiences. Most Bustrs are relatively incoherent, though a few of the more lucid ones are potentially dangerous stalkers.

    The Mutt. Alternatively known as Dogs or Yapping Dogs. Mutts are pack animals characterized by their loud barking – vociferous, repetitive, usually ignorant and irrational criticism of anything and anyone they do not like. Mutts frequently become obsessed with a few or even a single poster with whom they disagree, often for purely personal reasons. Like a dog gnawing at a bone, the Mutt will attack the object of its ire over and over again, making a fool of itself in the eyes of those who understand such childish behavior for what it is. Often one Mutt in a group of Yapping Dogs will act as the alpha of the pack, while the others chime in to voice their mindless (but loud) support for their leader's opinions.

    The Holy Misroller (HM)
    . Holy Misrollers are those online forum participants who give Christians (or other religious adherents) a bad name. The HM believes himself or herself to be a Christian (etc.) and will generally tell anyone who'll listen about his or her faith in God and in Jesus. At the same time, however, the HM will display decidedly un-Christian behavior, frequently making an *** out of him- or herself. The HM is often characterized by a great deal of anger and hostility. The breed tends to lash out at anyone and anything not in keeping with its incorrectly narrow worldview. The saddest part about HMs is that they do not truly understand Christianity at all.

    The Marketing Genius
    . A Marketing Genius is absolutely convinced that you are profiting from your participation in an Internet forum. If you have a link or a graphic block in you signature, the Marketing Genius just knows that this is your subtle attempt to assert your hypnotic powers on other bulletin board participants, luring them with the siren song of your complex and inscrutable advertising of your site. It does not matter to the Marketing Genius that forum members have been placing links and pictures in their signatures since the ability to do so was first created. Having never created anything of value themselves, Marketing Geniuses have only their bitter envy and their firm belief that you are a Dot Com Billionaire to motivate and occupy them.

    The Honorable Nitwit.
    Honorable Nitwits absolutely love to speak about honor. This breed invokes the concepts of honor, integrity, humility, and other traits straight from the Boy Scout Oath more often than a Klingon warrior on anti-depressants. Honorable nitwits are convinced that everyone around them suffers from a lack of honor – an idea they thoroughly fail to understand in attempting to use its lack to smear others.

    The Old Warrior.
    The Old Warrior has been there and done that. He has little time to spare for those who have not been there and done that. The Old Warrior has been there and done that to such an extent, in fact, that he is always right. Anyone who disagrees with him, therefore, is wrong by definition and should shut the hell up. Old Warriors place a very high premium on one's credentials relevant to the subject matter discussed – failing to understand the logical fallacy of appeals to authority.

    The Forum Cultist. Forum cultists are extremely proud of the incredible Internet communities to which they belong. They pride themselves on the exclusivity of those communities and actually believe that "it can't happen to them" – "it," of course, being their own banishment. Forum cultists place a very high premium on groupthink and generally react to differing opinions with outrage, banning all who dare to speak them.

    The Pretend-novice: Has an agenda to push but pretends to not to understand arguments against said agenda in order to push the agenda further. By appearing to be a new user, she can get away with combativeness without appearing aggressive or hostile and can always excuse any poor arguments as ignorance or genuine inquiry. (credit: aysiu)
    Sidheach: You should be dead!
    Rivendark: Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated—again.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Aura View Post
    I hope its not about cat pictures or Chuck Norris jokes....
    I am just wondering. The random guy interjects into a fun thread with a negative post and does not continue to comment, but instead chooses to continue forum lurking.

    The question is simple. What would you like to talk about?

  3. #33
    Shadowlander Encarmine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire82 View Post
    ...at not being awesome.

    Cause it's freakin' awesome
    You got me *handshake*
    Deus Sanginius!

  4. #34
    Champion Tenbears's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Under a bridge
    Posts
    468

  5. #35
    Plane Touched TheistAtheist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    A rift you pushed me into
    Posts
    223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmkilla View Post
    I dislike this forum because it has the ability to post pictures, its unregulated, and taken over by 20 year old immature males. This game will be a WoW clone not because its like wow, but because its the same community with the same childish leet people who think they are the best at everything.
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qgDo7hd4GQ...t+fitness.jpeg
    Last edited by TheistAtheist; 01-18-2011 at 06:11 PM.

  6. #36
    Champion Gaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Posts like these aren't cute or funny. All you're doing is spamming these boards with thread topics which state "Rift will fail" and causing potential interest to be lost in this game, joking or not. Not everyone reads every topic, but when they see threads saying "it will fail because xx" it puts a bad taste in people's minds.

    Stop thinking you're cute by making these threads, your doing far more harm than good.
    Fallout Clan - Briarcliff

  7. #37
    Champion Areanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmkilla View Post
    I dislike this forum because it has the ability to post pictures, its unregulated, and taken over by 20 year old immature males. This game will be a WoW clone not because its like wow, but because its the same community with the same childish leet people who think they are the best at everything.
    You need to lighten up just a tad, people are having fun and far as I can tell from this thread keeping it civil.
    "If patience is a virtue how come I am virtually out of it?"
    Proud member of 1Million post club!

  8. #38
    Plane Touched JazzCard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaku View Post
    your doing far more harm than good.
    OBJECTION!

    Seems to me that its doing the opposite of what you stated.
    My thoughts in my mind are structured like a chess board. Everything that ends up happening is a checkmate. It's all according to plan.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaku View Post
    Posts like these aren't cute or funny. All you're doing is spamming these boards with thread topics which state "Rift will fail" and causing potential interest to be lost in this game, joking or not. Not everyone reads every topic, but when they see threads saying "it will fail because xx" it puts a bad taste in people's minds.

    Stop thinking you're cute by making these threads, your doing far more harm than good.
    Oh of course that makes sense. Obviously I want people playing next to me who just face value and do absolutely no research. If someone judges a new mmo by this thread with a mis-leading title then a they are a tad bit slow.
    Last edited by Trion_Community; 01-20-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Comments that really were not needed

  10. #40
    Telaran Lukahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Someplace Sunny USA
    Posts
    69

    Default

    I almost didn't even want to open the post based on the title...LOL.

  11. #41
    Ascendant Belenos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukahl View Post
    I almost didn't even want to open the post based on the title...LOL.
    See he wins again! Obvious troll is doing an awesome job on this one. My hat is off to him.

  12. #42
    Sword of Telara Lockiszemode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    747

    Default

    This thread has garnered much support in very little time.
    Pre-server merges BS statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Given how quickly population seems to be growing overall, I think we'll see new servers before mergers.
    Post server merges BS Statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I think at this point I'm obliged to grant that functionally I was wrong about mergers.
    A quick snap of the neck keeps those corpses nice and dead like." ~ Ferry

  13. #43
    Sword of Telara Vyeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by Vember View Post
    Two things decide pvp matches right now - pure healers and champions. Both need to be toned down, neither has anything to do with whether or not there's too much cc and not enough immunity.

  14. #44
    Plane Touched Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    221

    Default

    So who here played Day of Defeat before Source? I loved that game dearly. Anyone ever play on the ole [RWTD] Server?
    Visit imperiumgaming.com! We are recruiting cool people of all shapes and sizes! (editors note: not all shapes and sizes will be accepted)

  15. #45
    General of Telara Selgin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Belmont
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    So who here played Day of Defeat before Source? I loved that game dearly. Anyone ever play on the ole [RWTD] Server?
    I played with a couple of "Realism" clans. One that fell apart because the Captain and Lt were ****s, and then the splinter group that left that one, the FSSF. They were pretty cool bros.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Ahh, but the game isn't the problem. The problem is that someone who can neither write nor think is inexplicably unhappy with something.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts