+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new cpu with older ram

Telaran

Default new cpu with older ram

i have an asus MBD that supports the newer amd Phenom II x4 & x6 cpu's via a bios update and currently has DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ram installed, what affect will that ram have on the cpu's speed/performance?

thanks

I'd expect little to none due to how AMDs are designed.

What CPU are you going from and to though? You may not see as much of a gain as you are expecting. What is your graphics card? Is this change for gaming or something else?
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Telaran

currently have AMD Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition Kuma 2.8GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core Processor

and was looking at this AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor and for the video will be getting a radeon 6850. its for gaming, i generally play wow with low graphic settings as i am using an older integrated radeon 3300 chipset.

oh, i am also running WinXP 32bit and plan on switching to Win7 64bit. not sure how much of a performance change that will be but since i have 4gig of ram installed i know ill gain alittle more memory
    Last edited by Sabban; 01-18-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Provided you have the power to back it up it should be fine.
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast

I have similar. I have an Asus Crosshair Formula II motherboard with 4G of DDR2 1066 RAM. I had a AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Box on it. I just recently upgraded the cpu to a Phenom II X6 1090T black box. Definitely a bump in performance. I too wonder if the RAM holds me back any or if it would make a big difference going to a new MB with DDR3. When I ran the lame Windows Experience test, the RAM performance increased along with the CPU performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabban View Post
    currently have AMD Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition Kuma 2.8GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core Processor

and was looking at this AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor and for the video will be getting a radeon 6850. its for gaming, i generally play wow with low graphic settings as i am using an older integrated radeon 3300 chipset.

oh, i am also running WinXP 32bit and plan on switching to Win7 64bit. not sure how much of a performance change that will be but since i have 4gig of ram installed i know ill gain alittle more memory

Depending on the RAM/Mobo, I am running that processor and an ASUS Evo board with 4 GB of Gskill ram with Win7 32bit and it recognizes all of it. Would definitely upgrade to DDR3 since it's faster, but your comp will run on DDR2 also.

I don't need a flag, Mr. Christian. Unlike you I still have a country. (Captain Blythe)
    In war (and PvP) it's not who's right, it's who's left.
    I will have my Vengeance. In this life or the next

Telaran

ASUS M4A78-E AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX is the MBD

and

CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel is the ram

pwr supply isn't an issue as i have a 650W PSU

Telaran

Check your mother board specs. If your board can take the AM3 cpu's then the 800mhz ddr2 ram will be a system bottle neck.

If you do upgrade to an AM3, up the ram too with 1600mhz ddr3 ram and the system will run much faster for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDeath View Post
    When I ran the lame Windows Experience test, the RAM performance increased along with the CPU performance.
    There are controller thingies for ram on the CPU for AMD, that could be part of the reason for a gain.

+ Reply to Thread